Metallic Ducting Tape?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Loki_Da_Ganja, Nov 30, 2008.

1. I just bought a fifty yard roll of metal duct tape from Lowes and I was wondering if I could just use this to line the inside of my growbox with...? If not, should I just use it to seal the box up after giving it a couple coats of white spray paint?

Answers greatly appreciated. My work is kinda on hold until I figure this out....

2. what are the dimensions of your box? How wide is that tape?

i'd say paint is good...is the stuff the box is made of light proof? (my box is made of plastic and NOT light-proof)

3. The cab itself is an old computer tower I'm modifying for this purpose, mostly due to its potential stealthness and the fan ports I could utilize for both ventilation and de-odorizing any at all smells the plants may cause (Carbon Filter).

The tower itself is metal, about average size- and not light proof as its full of various ports and holes. If I used the metal tape I just bought I could use it to light-proof the box and even make it air tight, as I even bought some weather stripping to assist in this for things like the door and the fans.

I have a can of white spray paint enamel that certainly has enough in it for a 2-4 coats so its night and even, so if it would work better I could just paint the inside of the cab with this and use the metal tape for light/smell proofing. But I think it would work better to just line the entirity of the inside cab with the tape, though I've heard that using tin foil is bad since it creates hot spots and reflects more heat than light.

I have 4 100w equiv. CFL light bulbs with about 7000 lumens but between them, and I'm making some reflectors out of some aluminum pie pans (Good idea or no?), just so you know. I have a HPS bulb too, but no idea how to incorporate it all into this project.

I'm going to just open a grow/construction journal in a bit, since this is my first serious grow and I'm probably going to need alotta questions answered in the future.

4. Aren't some companies using mylar bags for their snacks?

5. Wait... I hadn't thought of that. I remember that dorito bags are shiney on the inside, but I hadn't contemplated applying this to growing. Or those non-rubber balloons they fill with helium for birthday parties too, I'm pretty sure those are Mylar as well.

6. The tape should be fine. Although the white would work better IMO.

7. if your going to spend a couple bucks on snacks spend a couple more bucks on a cheap space blanket.... you dont want greasy plants... keep your cheetos out of this

8. Space blanket - good idea. Those are cheap.