Metal vs. Wooden herb grinders?

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by greengirl89, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Question for anyone who's had both. Ive only had 2 so far, both metal, and i had problems both times with them becoming too sticky and jammed up. Even when i cleaned them i let them soak for about 30 mins and stuff still wouldnt come off. So i'm thinking of getting a wooden one because I think it would get less stick over time, and even if it did, i dont think the resin would bind well to the wood so it would be easy to clean up.

am i right? should i get a wooden one?

2. I used to have this problem with metal grinders often, u can just use a butter knife to scrape off that residue, and the residue is from over-packing the grinder, or at least it was for me.

3. Well. Granted I have not used both, but from what I understand about the nature of wood I'd think it'd be a bigger problem. Wood is highly porus, unlike most metals, and that gives resin and all sorts of other ickyness much more surface area to
    cling on to.

Wood is also harder to clean, you can't just let it soak in ant sort of cleaning solution, the wood will absorb it and your grinder will split, warp, and that's just no good.

Really, just soak your metal grinder in vinegar over night and giv it a good scrub. Vinegar is one of the best completely nontoxic cleaning solutions.

4. get a metal spase case if not spase case get a sharpstone

5. Wooden ones would make your problem worse

Just run some iso. alcohol through it.