Metal Halide ??

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by sourdiesel123, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Ok I just got a hps/mh 600 watt revolt ballast and air cooled hood I tested both bulbs out to make sure they work I had the hood laying on its back on my bed when I had on I had the metal halide on for like maybe 3-5 mins turn off and it there was like little redish liquid boiling or something then settled on inside of bulb left a little mark on it. Is there something wrong with my bulb or is this normal.

2. It sounds like you may not have adhered to the warm-up/restrike guidelines for running your lights...

As a general rule of thumb, you should try to operate your lights in no less than fifteen minute increments (although, warm-up may occur in as few as five, to ten minutes... and while fifteen is a good rule of thumb for a cool down, waiting even a bit longer can be safer after shutting your system down).

In other words, especially when warming up a brand new bulb, you should allow your system to run for at least fifteen minutes, after ignition, before shutting it back off. And you should make certain that you give it at least fifteen minutes to cool down, before re-ignition.
    If you don't, you can risk damaging the bulbs, undermining the integrity of the internal gases and their containment (possibly what you saw if not some cheap adhesive), resulting in anything from the instant failure of the bulb (this can be relatively calm, or even explosive), to an immediate reduction in life and lumen output. :eek:

3. do you think the bulb is still good to go it still works perfectly just tiny little spot on inside bulb from were that liquid dried