Metal Gear Solid

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Vicious, Jan 13, 2012.

1. I did a search and surprisingly didn't see anything. I recently picked up Metal Gear Solid HD collection and have never been so content with a game. It comes with Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty, Snake Eater and Peace Walker in full HD with all extras from the Substance versions. It also comes with the original MGS released on the MSX in the late 80's. Not bad at all for $40.

I don't know how many times I've replayed them but I catch on to something new every time. I understood in Sons of Liberty about the whole GW and censorship concept but it seemed much more intense considering all the recent SOPA stuff. Even though I've played it all, it had been so long it was fresh and surprising moments were still surprising.

I'm on my second play through of Snake Eater then I'll be moving onto Peace Walker for the first time.

Overall it's just a great series overloaded with content and good replay ability. From collecting dog tags, searching for Kerotans or finding easter eggs. What do you guys think of this great series.

2. As soon as I get a new fat PS3, I plan to pick it up. MGS3 is one of my favorite PS2 games (I remember getting misty-eyed at the end. It was just such a great game), and MGS1 and 2 are equally nostalgic and great. I kind of wonder why they didn't go with the updated versions of MGS2 and 3, but I can't complain. I've yet to play Peace Walker, so it'll be a first.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by updated versions, I'm almost sure the HD version has the Substance features included. The original MGS2 didn't have VR and Snake Tales missions, it also has Boss Survival. I'm not too sure about MGS3's features but I'm pretty sure it has the movie player unlocked at the end, I don't remember what all substance had. If you're getting a PS3, MGS4 is a must if you haven't played it yet.

I think the series is on the same tier as Zelda and Final Fantasy.

4. Got that game for Christmas but have only played it a few times since. Not a lot of time for xbox lately :/. In the next few weeks I'll probably have the time though :)

5. I played the shit out of this a few weeks ago. MGS is my fav series, haven't touched 2 or 3 yet but I "trasnfarred" my save from psp and have been S ranking all the missions (reg and ex ops) and finally beat the final regular mission, and s ranked every sneaking mission I can play as well and most others, not sure how to s rank the harder tanks/helis/etc in extra ops but oh well. AAA game for sure.

6. I'm guessing you're talking about Peace Walker? I haven't played that one yet along with the two card/tactical ones, Acid I think. I wish they would do a port of MGS: Twin Snake, it was a remake of the psx version with MGS2 level graphics, it was for the Gamecube.

I'm looking forward to the new one, an action game will be a nice change. Since I recently finished MGS2 recently the sword part really sticks out, a full game of an improved version of it is going to be awesome. I wish it carried over after the first play. The tactical espionage part is what makes it to me, I'm happy they're working on a true MGS5.

Also Konami related, I'd love to see a new Zone of the Enders.

7. Definitely agree, it's up there with Zelda, FF, and the Dragon Warrior trilogy for me.

But by updated, I meant the added features MGS 3: Subsistence had, such as the inclusion of first person perspective, the MGS 3 bloopers, Metal Gear 1 and Snake's Revenge. I loved MGS4, beat it twice, the second time being just to explore Shadow Moses with the original song playing on Snake's mp3, and that epic last fight. It was great, but oddly enough it's still my least favorite of the 4.

8. Like I said, I'm almost sure the Subsistence extras are added. MGS1 is selectable on the title menu, VR and Snakes Tales wasn't in the original version of MGS2, I'm almost positive the bloopers and other extras will be unlocked after first play through. MGS3 does have first person too, it's a shame they took out the mini-map though.

I agree with you about 4. Though I can't call any of them bad, MGS4 was the most polished and responsive, I loved everything about it but the first one has a special place to me, 4 was great but I disliked snake in that one. Again like MGS2 you get the most badass weapon at the end and it should cross over. The psycho mantis doll was awesome.

9. Definitely, top three of greatest 3D game series (though I'd argue fiercly about the other two places there). It was one of the first that really pushed the boundaries with what the PSX could do, it pushed the boundaries of what people thought videogames were. And hell, Kojima had already done that with the two Metal Gear games.

The MGS series is hands down my favourite video game series, there's no competition in my eyes that can stand on truly equal footing. Amazing gameplay, story, graphics and music combine to make pretty much every game in the series iconic. I'll never forget the first time I walked down the Corridor of Death in MGS, I'll never forget how I felt when I saw the rain on the Tanker in MGS2, I'll never forget the first time I fought the End in MGS 3 and there are so many others.

10. I wasn't really putting a top 3 but saying they're on the same level though I would still say OoT/MM are the epitome of 3D gaming at it's finest. Other than that I agree with every you said. The first Metal Gear blew my mind, I had never played something like that before it, the story, the bosses, OST, characters, gameplay. Everything was so fresh, not to mention the extras, finding ghosts, dog tag hunting, VR. When psycho mantis broke the 4th wall in his fight I lost it, also when Snake pointed to his headband and said "Infinite Ammo" in MGS2. I love that HD Collection has achievements/trophies, it's going to keep me busy for a while.

What should I be expecting from Peace Walker? How is the online? Although it wasn't very popular I loved the online in MGS4. I expect MGS5 will have online as a major focal point. MGS4 almost had it down except the netcode was iffy and it was PS3 exclusive. I would love to play a more polished version.

11. #11 DD19, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
    Sorry to ask a random question but is the mini-map removed from the HD remakes? or just MGS3 (when originally released?)

I've played 1, Twin Snakes, 2 Peace Walker and 4. Haven't gotten around to the rest yet but this series is like God of War to me, I don't play them because I don't want to get sick of them and they are so good I know I'll enjoy it later and I don't want to finish them yet :D

Twin Snakes was sick, MGS4 was MIND BLOWING, (plan on playing it again soon, already beat it 3 +3/4 times,) and I really enjoyed 2, the VR missions were pretty fun, you should play his VR missions if you enjoy the sword play.

Peace walker is kind of the shit too, a little easy once you get good but I love speed running and S ranking levels...

If your interested in the series as a whole though don't forget about Portable Ops, haven't played it myself but I have read it is a full MGS experience.

12. There is no mini-map at all in MGS3, makes you realize they're taken for granted. The line of vision of the enemies in MGS3 is ridiculous, in the previous ones if you were 5 men or more away they might go yellow and check it out or not even bother, in Snake Eater you can be half way across the map lining up a headshot so the tranq is instant and they spot you, the guards are smart in MGS3. The zone borders are more open, in two you could stand in front of a door in alert and you would be fine, in 3 the enemy has you cornered as soon as you zone then they come up from behind.

I do like the camo system though it's kind of needed, before you could rely on the mini-map to find blind spots and slip past them, the jungle is much more open so you need to constantly swap on camo for the terrain and watch their patrol routes.

My only gripe is why the fuck isn't the 360 controller pressure sensitive? the PS2 and possibly even the PSX were. If you hold someone up you cannot lightly let off X to put the gun away, you have to cancel it out by pulling up a menu or pausing.

13. Interesting, yeah the enemies have mad blind spots in the MGS games. In peace walker I can run right at a tank with four guys narrowly dodging their range of vision because I've played so many times I know how far/wide they can see. I do recall MGS4 getting very hard on big boss hard (or whatever the hardest was), don't remember how far they could see only remember that it was a big difference from normal mode.

And are you serious? That's so lame, maybe there's another way to do it? or maybe switching your weapons with R will take you out of first person?

I wish they would have updated the controls because it makes the games infinitely better, I love 4 and PW.

14. That's the thing though, they weren't down graded, the original PS2 version's you could put your weapon down buy slowly letting off Square. RB to get out of 3rd person still puts you in 3rd person with your gun out, you have to either take off X and shoot or pull up a menu, if I'm wrong please let me know another way but I played all of Son of Liberty like that, maybe it's just early gen controllers.

Yeah, one thing MGS doesn't let up on is the challenge, I'm playing Snake Eater on Extreme (Expert maybe?) right now and haven't found one ration.

15. I already own 3 versions of sol and snake eater but I couldnt help but get the hd collection too, they all look surprisingly better than I expected. They did a awesome job taking peacewalker from the psp. I thought it was going to pixilated to hell but it looked pretty hot. I've still yet to beat peacewalker though, I feel like I never have enough time to sit down and get completly into it, or any game for that matter. Life asks to much of me.

16. I cried when emma died lol.

Metal Gear is the best rpg's ever made.

17. Where'd you get it for 40 bucks....

I got the pack of the first 3 MGS back when I had a PS2...put them in to play them and they were all duds...didnt work.....fuck wal mart and fuck the chinese

Love MGS4 though

18. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for Xbox 360 | GameStop

I did too, I thought she was adorable.

I don't see the RPG elements though unless you're pretending to be Snake when you play.

19. peacewalker is really fun.

you build outer heaven and can play as the soldiers you recruit to build up their stats.

but what i like the most is that it isnt as punishing when you get caught, so can even play it as a 3rd person shooter.

20. Never really got into the PSP series with the exception of Metal Gear Acid(the 1st one). MGS2:Substance can keep you busy.