Messed up trying to LST. Help?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kidzgot5wagg, Jun 17, 2018.

1. So, I tried to get a jump start on LST... but... I ended up breaking 2 stems(cola and fan leaf) on one plant. My Candylands look even but my SFV OGs have tons of little branches on the main stem that dont seem to be growing much. I bent down the main stem on my SFVs and did whatever I could on the Candylands. First grow, first time trying LST. This is stressful. Help plz.

Attached Files:

2. did you break it like clean off? if you did you can clone it.

if not and its still hanging on you basically supercropped it. in a few days itll stand up straight again and develop a knot at the break site.

• Like Like x 1
  3. They broke clean off. I put them in a cup of water since I dont have any cloning gel or whatever.

4. Is this ok?

Attached Files:

5. yeah thats ok, they will root without horomone, you can snip off the very lower bottom leaves and plant them in soil or whatever and put a humidity dome (like a 2l bottle or something) over top and it should root in 2-3 weeks time. the main thing is to just make sure the humidity stays like 80-90% or higher and some people will snip the leaves in half but that also isnt really necessary (the times ive cloned i did it just so they would fit under my 2l bottle domes)

dont be surprised if they dont make it but if all goes well they will, just dont love them to death when they start to get yellow and sad looking. just keep the humidity high.

• Like Like x 2
  6. When do I put them in soil? And how long do I keep them in water?

7. now, just get a solo cup or something small like that. read up on cloning and do what that says minus the clone gel (not necessary, makes thing easier but not necessary)

theyll probably be ok in the water for a few days though and should still root in water too but i think youll be more likely to get disease or some other complication.

basically just trim the bottoms off so its a nice straight stick with the leafy stuff on the top and stick that in some soil, an inch or so maybe. make sure the soil is nice and wet and cut the top off a 2 liter soda bottle and situate that over top of them and give them 24 hour light if possible (if not 18-6), keep the soil damp throughout the process and after 2 weeks they should start to yellow and look a little sad and that should mean roots are growing or at least starting to, after another week or so it should start growing like a normal plant.

if you have an aloe plant (or just buy one) you can use the gooey stuff inside that as cloning gel because many succulent and cactus species have natural rooting hormones in them which is why they are so easy to graft to other species.

so just get some aloe and smear it all over the end of the stick and pop that in some wet soil with the domes and yuoll be all set.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ive heard natural honey works too!

9. Tried my best. They’re really small. I dipped them in aloe and honey lol.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. whats the panic? a cpl tiny side branches busted off???? The main plants are fine...DONT use honeys or aloe for cuttings (LOL)...If you want to root something like that, go to walmart, home depot, where ever and pick up a little container of rootting powder (UNDER $5.00)...It what its made for...they have the rooting auxins that WORK!!!....Dust the bottoms, tap off the excess, cut a half inch off at 45° angle and stick it...Keep the humidity up but not soaking wet....Soak wet will rot your grow tips off...Instead of bending those plants over like that, just top them..The side shoots will take off growing and THOSE can be tied down easily to spread your plants instead of having the main stalks growing way off sideways....Check out prunning and LST techniques in 'Growweedeasy.com'...Simple to follow grow info that covers EVERYTHING you need to know about...YT

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  11. Aloe is a great natural rooting agent. Honey, not so much.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ^^ Like he said..I accidentally broke off a top moving a plant. I put it in a window sill in a cup of water and forgot about it for 2 weeks!..Returning I found 3 inch roots flooding the cup!!:)

Also Real fresh Aloe Vera Juice also speeds up cloning (Very old school stuff). Enjoy your new free plant!;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. I been growing since 1979 and never heard any 'old school' rooting hormones in aloe vera....Anyone good at cuttings doesnt even need rooting auxins...Powders and gels MADE FOR cuttings work very well, and it benefits most ppl to use them....Cuttings using aloe, root in spite of it aloe, not because of it...I could dip all mine in little mayonnaise and have them root but its not why they are rooting...ROOTING AUXINS are made to expedite the callousing and ultimately rooting of your cutting.....there is nothing in aloe similar....If someone wants an additional edge, lightly scrape the area of the stem that will be dipped or dusted with a razor...the abraded area allows the auxins to work even faster....YT

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. It’s the salicylic acid in aloe that aids cloning. I don’t even use powders or gels anymore, just clone in ph’d water with Superthrive in my bubble cloner with near 100% success but I have had success with aloe as well

• Like Like x 2
  15. Hahahah..1979? I was already 30 yrs old and smoking/growing for 15 yrs in 1979..Youngster..LOL
    Here's just ONE article on cloning with Aloe (heard of Dude Grows?)..Geez..
    "
    What’s up DGC?!

Today I thought I would bring to light a new (for me; the technique is a hundred years+ old) method of cloning cannabis.

All you are going to need is a mother cannabis plant and an Aloe plant, any kind of aloe will do!

1. Grab a cup that can hold the amount of clones your going to be taking
    2. Simply snap an inch to two inch piece of aloe off your plant and squeeze out all of the gel into the cup
    3. Fill the cup with water (tap is fine) and mix thoroughly with a whisk or fork.
    4. Take your cannabis clones (any method you prefer)
    5. Place the clones into the solution and soak somewhere with moderate lighting (I use the floor of my veg tent) for 12 hours.
    6. Once done soaking, remove another 3-4in leaf of aloe.
    7. Take the cuttings one at a time, and with light vigorous motions move the base of the stem up and down inside the aloe cuttings, make sure the cuttings rooting area is fully coated with aloe. One aloe leaf can do 20+ cuttings!
    8. Place the cuttings into rockwool or peat and care for them as usual!
    That’s it! I have had around an 80% success rate with healthy clones, and there are plenty of growers who’s rates are nearer to 100%. The number one thing to remember is to not skip soaking the clones, as this time is spent soaking up precious salicylic acid!

Enjoy,

-Kyle:"

https://www.dudegrows.com/aloe-cloning/

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I actually wonder if you really have been growing for 30 years, for such an old school grower I would expect you to know the old school techniques and it appears you dont?

Im not one to call people out but yeah. perhaps you just need to catch up to the age of information and hit google once or twice to refresh your 30 years of experience.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Also here is an excerpt from MaximumYield on honey as a rooting horomone

"
    Natural & Organic Rooting Stimulators
    There are many organic purists in the indoor growing community who struggle with the cloning stage because they do not want to use synthetic hormones. No need to worry! There are two natural and organic sources that can successfully provide a rooting boost to freshly taken cuttings. These two stimulants are honey and willow extract.

HoneyThat’s right! Honey can be used as a natural rooting stimulate. The reason honey works well as a rooting hormone is due to its natural antiseptic and anti-fungal properties. In other words, honey protects the tender cuttings from pathogens and allows the natural rooting hormones to work their magic.

Although results will not be seen as quickly as when a synthetic rooting hormone is used, honey is a great natural cloning agent that will allow growers to achieve high success rates during cloning. To use honey as a cloning agent, simply dip the cutting into the honey to create a thin layer over the cut tissue.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I have tried honey in soil and it just didn’t root for me. Same principle as the Aloe in fighting off disease, but just wasn’t a success

19. ive never used it personally so i cant comment on that, but just going off what ive read. the honey is a newish one to me ive just recently heard about... but aloe is an old trick ive known for many years even before i started to grow cannabis, aloe is an age old household gardening trick.

20. I’ve used aloe successfully and add it to the water for my seedlings. Willow water works too

• Like Like x 1