Mental illness and smoking?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Frenchie88, May 26, 2018.

1. Hello! I'm new to the forum.
    I used to smoke a lot from in my teens til my mid 20's, and then I just stopped because smoking started to make me paranoid. I was very stressed before I stopped smoking as I was still in uni and moving to France.
    Fast forward a few years later, and I had a complete mental breakdown from all the stress of living abroad. I eventually had psychiatric evaluation for 5 weeks and was diagnosed with severe depression, anxiety, and ocd...like, real severe ocd and was put on a shit ton of meds, unfortunately. But it seemed to be the only way I could function properly.

When I recently visited my family back in the states, I took a few hits with my family, and I actually felt ok. But I wasn't stoned or anything, just pleasantly buzzing. And I was laughing so much, and even my husband remarked that I seemed so different while buzzed. (You know, since depression can really change how you interact in life)

Here's the thing...I want to try smoking again, but I'm a bit terrified. My anxiety makes me that I'm going to freak out or something while I'm high. And I'm not sure if it's such a good idea to be smoking while on antipsychotics and antidepressants.

Does anyone else here have mental health issues? Take psychiatric meds? Etc? Have you been able to handle smoking again?

Any advice? I can't stop taking my medication because it's the only thing that keeps me afloat...but I'm kind of wondering if MJ could help me, too.

• Like Like x 2
  2. I take meds for anxiety and PTSD. They do help for the most part, but Weed mellows me out. I don't plan on stopping either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I also agree that smoking only hurts if you struggle with mental health! The effect seems to be relaxing and calming, but it only worsen your condition. My doctor prescribed me mood stabilizing pills that help me to stay active and positive. As for giving up smoking it was not hard for me, as I did it at once without postponing or reducing the number of cigarettes I smoked. You have just to set a goal and have a desire.

4. Seems it relaxed you around your family. If you are hesitant to try again for fear of freaking out, why not just take a couple puffs like before? Work your way up and observe. Be around people you trust or go it alone. I take a hike to a beautiful place and smoke a j and enjoy the sounds and sights of nature. Fixes my head right up.
    Mindset and setting are important.
    Hope you find what works

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

5. Don't recommend it if you have underlying mental conditions. I would stick to CBD or low THC strains as the paranoia and "bad effects" are caused by THC. Once you build a tolerance it should ease up a little.

Do not smoke when you are already feeling bad or anxious as it will make it worse. Reassure yourself there is no reason for negative feelings or paranoia and just laugh about it. Find fun distractions to get your mind off of it.

I think working on lessening the anxious feelings in your life in general will help. You gotta push it out when it first starts. Try to break the "habit". Anxious feelings will cause more anxious feelings etc.

6. #6 GorillaGherkin, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    All depends on the strain your smoking in my opinion. Everyone has different levels of anxiety and depression. I was able to fully get off my meds and I think I’m functioning pretty well but I also stay high or medicated 24/7.

7. #7 Deleted member 985876, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2018
    I struggle with a good amount of mental illness as well and, I find that sometimes if I'm already paranoid cannabis can enhance that. However 9 times outta 10 for me cannabis is just fine. I've experienced a few paranoia scares around police but, that's about it.

I wouldn't care to argue that cannabis actually caused the paranoia though in my case. The paranoia probably came from that I was about to get locked up if I didn't play my cards right but, I did.

8. Thc and cbd actually help. They are more helpful than man-created pills. Since cannabis is a natural plant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ADHD, OCD, chronic depression,bi polar,and throw colitis and Crohn's on top of that. Weed will help but like others have said it's not gonna help if you have the wrong mind set when doing it.

10. It really helps with my depression, and even more so for my anxiety. I’m really picky about what strains I’ll smoke though. Certain strains make my social anxiety worse, other strains make it so I can order at Starbucks without shaking. It won’t magically cure anxiety, but it helps with managing the symptoms. Plus, it stops panic attacks. well at least for me it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. #11 old shol4evr, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    delete

• Like Like x 1
  12. I hate weed !!! For the last 30 years I haven't been a smoker but due to the sic meds. I'm on my doctor no longer wants to give me any more medication so weed license was his answer .I flatly turned him down told him there was no way I was smoking weed do to my anxiety .But I went home and did few hours researcher to come to found out that medical weed is grown some of it with anti- anxiety in mind and boy were they right. I have not had one anxiety attack so long as I choose the right weed or dabs and stay away from most sativa.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Consider using a 16:1 CBD/THC mmj products. If you do not have access to medical products, then you can definitely kick off an unnecessary wave of anxiety.
    You should also consider other ways of using mmj besides smoking.

Lastly you may only need one hit rather than attempting to "smoke" a whole joint.

• Like Like x 1