Mental health

Discussion in 'General' started by Boomhauer, Nov 19, 2015.

1. For years I've had mental issues. Since I was 14,15.. until now, I brushed it off as normal everyday stress. Now im startin to admit that I may have a problem. Cause deep down, this shit aint normal.

Im strongly considering checkin myself into a mental health facility. My question is, is it worth it? Does it help? And what exactly do they do for you?

2. It really depends on where you live, what the law is, whether or not you're suicidal, etc.

Personally, I never tell anyone if I'm suicidal anymore. I learned the hard way long ago that that's a big mistake. They practically lock you up and take away all your legal rights. They can certainly do that in most jurisdictions.

Now, if you're absolutely sure that you can't keep yourself safe, that might be a good thing. However, if your life would fall apart such that you might not have a place to live (i.e. unpaid rent/mortgage and bills leading to the loss of your home and personal belongings, etc.) when you're discharged, it would be better to see a counsellor or a psychiatrist to begin with.

I've heard of people asking for a little help from the mental health profession and their entire life being ruined for years. Just make sure you have a supportive advocate, preferably a family member, to act as your next of kin, who will stand by you, especially if the treatment becomes unnecessarily aggressive. This should be someone who isn't easily intimidated or bullied into backing down and has a really good BS filter. There needs to be an understanding up front that at no time is your contact with that person to be cut off because to surrender to mental health professionals is to become very vulnerable and not all of them have their patients' best interests at heart.

Don't blindly go on any medication you're prescribed. Ask questions and look things up. Don't forget interactions with meds you're already taking because doctors often overlook them and so do busy pharmacists. Some of the side effects are really debilitating and it's extremely difficult to get off some of these meds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. As Canny said, hospitalization is a last resort, if you feel you're going to harm yourself or others. What they'll do for you is medication management and some group therapies. IMO, you're better off seeing a psychiatrist, they'll know if medication will be the best route or not, maybe you just need some therapy to acquire some tools to adapt to your life. Meds are a long, fucked up road. It took me several years to find out what worked and even now I'm on so many I can hardly function. My biggest advice is to not go it alone. You might feel totally alone but I'll guarantee other people have gone through what you're going through.

4. Go to a psychiatrist but look over medication such as its effects with other medication you may already be on. unless you are a harm to others and cant control yourself then you should be ok without hospital

5. Doesn't hurt to try, I guess. It's not as if psychiatrists are part of some kind of New World Order conspiring to sell your soul.. but they're not miracle healers, either.. and they can be quite costly.

Psychiatry is still very much in the dark ages. Antidepressants are no more or less effective than placebo and faith healing. A lot of this has to do with the war on drugs, too. If you could create an antidepressant that worked - it would instantly become a Schedule I controlled substance.

6. No, it's not worth it. No, it doesn't help. All they do is shitty groups, some arts & crafts..

7. dont fuck with meds bro...

i got fuckboy probelms too, if i dont smoke im suicidal freak...

i force feed myself the reefer even tho it hurts my lungs, fuckin joint after joint, shit doesnt even get me high anymore, just keeps me "normal"

we dont have real problems we just need a change in life for the better

as soon as i got to school ill be happy enough not to smoke... at least im hoping so

at this rate im smoking more and more everyday, went from a gram a day last year to 4 grams plus a day... only keeps going up after next harvest itll probly be 5-6 grams a day...

but hey thats why i love weed baby this shit saved my life litterally

now i made fat goals for myself and am soon going to be making a living from growing weed, and smoking it with homies... im going to school for soil microbiology and all that hopefully

only thing i gotta look forward too

just find life goals for yourself and get shit poppin, youll feel better, go to a fuckin rager man meet as many people as you can try to surround yourself with the love

the love for life is the only real thing that will help you, tripping balls can help you see from a new prespective...

good luck mang hope everything works out for you

8. I've had three episodes of psychosis bro. But I was only hospitalized once. I'm an early bloomer cos my episodes started at 16. I won't go into the details of the episodes because its a long story however, I found hospital to be absolutely horrific. The ONLY good thing was the meditation classes. Other than that, I got attacked twice, forced to take medication, treated like sub-human, locked up, separated from family for long periods. I wasn't even allowed my phone cos they advised my Mom not to give it to me. Do NOT go to hospital my friend, I don't know if its better the same or worse in the US but in England its absolutely fucked. You should however seek help from a mental health professional, mine has helped me get my own place and live independently. She also looks a little like Jennifer Aniston, I cant guarantee yours will but yeah. Mental hospitals are pretty dark places I had some very scary experiences in there and witnessed horrible things. For example, there was an old man who kept lying down on the floor and saying 'God take me now, I want to die' and there was another guy who kept putting cigarettes out on his hand. They treated both of them like shit. The old man is now my neighbour in this block of flats and I saw the cigarette guy in a shop the other day and he looked well. So yeah sorry about the long answer but that's just my thoughts.

9. To quote Michael Jackson, 'They don't care about us'

10. #11 StankDankMT, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2015
    I dont know a lot about this since Ive always been mentally stable, and Im thankful for that, but what I do have to say is if you live in the US there's free mental health services that are state or federal ran, you can do a google search of "[YOUR STATE] mental health services [YOUR CITY]" and it will bring up some results, also The National Alliance on Mental Illness may also provide information of where to find treatment or mental health care in your area. You can call them toll free at 1-800-950-6264. I would call the number first and ask them where you can find the type of help you need and want in your area. I do have to say you realize you might have a problem and need to take care of it, which is a very good first step, call the number and go talk to someone and get this figured out so you can improve your quality of life. At the same time I think the advice people are telling you in this thread is pretty good and should weigh all your options and speak carefully, but honestly. I hope it works out for you man

11. Mental health deals with the problem which we face in our day to day life. Rather making it a huge case, you can simply follow certain therapies. Like meditating for a while,strengthen the mental capability resulting in happy-go-living lifestyle. You can start with Yoga as well.

12. After seeing what the mental health system did to my mother I would never go to them for help.

13. Yes, it's all depend mental health totally depends upon what we are thinking, how we handle any anxiety. Anyone with neurotic personality will definitely faces mental health issues. Meditation is must, if we want a peaceful and happy life.

14. The mental health system will be glad to get a new pill test dummy and they will try everything in their arsenal until their poor dummy dies. DO NOT RECOMMEND. Archaic and impractical methods that are often medical malpractice suits that won't get filed as you will have no rights and be a prisoner treated worse than a detainee at gitmo.

Best of luck to you blade. Realest solution I can say is find an educator who doesn't mind spending the extra time and effort to work with you in finding a passion or area of interest that sparks your motivation in a positive light. Medication(s) will destroy you from the inside out but if zombie is how you want to feel there are plenty of pain killers that are effective in that regard.