MENSA

Discussion in 'General' started by Mantikore, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Anyone here in MENSA? Like 2 years ago I took their online test.. and ever since then they've been sending me automated emails about upcoming, official tests. I'm not saying I'm super smart.. having intelligence is one thing.. but you also need the motivation to use it to make it count in my book, which I don't really have. I'm also not a fan of anything people related that is "organized".. so I highly doubt I'd join if I passed. Most of what I've heard about it is that MENSA people act like elitist assholes.. but I think I might take their official test coming up this weekend out of curiosity. Has anyone ever taken it? If anyone is a member.. what exactly is the point of MENSA? Feels like it'd be like a circle jerk club.. but I'm curious if there is any actual benefit.

2. I've actually been invited numerous times. My iq is 170. My problem is that because of a brain injury, anything with math works in my head, but I can't translate it out side of it. So while I passed really high on everything but the math, I wasn't able to pass.

They are actually really cool if you're in to the sciences. And (able to least at the time I was asked) can help with scholarships. Also, it's something impressive to put on your resume. It's a pretty high complement.

3. Hmm, maybe I oughta give that a shot, I'm all kinds of smart.

4. I remember reading a forum awhile back that said to not put it on your application or resume. The main gist was because it makes you look cocky and the one doing the hiring would more than likely have a lil fear that you'll end up surpassing them.

Math was always my thing.. so much so that I got subjected to a few tests for autism growing up. Was 3rd in my state for math on the ASVAB tests we took in high school, 5th for mechanical reasoning.. but was too antisocial/non conformist for the military.

I can't remember if I took the online test for the local chapter or on their main site.. but give it a shot. I kind of felt like their online test was ridiculously easy, but thought it was that way to not deter too many people. Then again, they kind of want to be exclusive and weed out those not fit, so I don't know.

Official test is usually $40, but this weekend it is only $20 for my local chapter, Hampton Roads. Probably different for different areas.

5. Huh, I guess it can also be a case of what type of job you are going for. One of the people who asked me to talk the test said that was something I could have used it for had I passed. Also this was at a different time too. I could see it being bad now.

The brain injury occurred when I was 6yrs old. Before it I was learning long devision over the phone at the age of 2, and the first book I learned to read was Peter pan, put of my sister 5th grade school book.

After the accident, I still have the cognitive skills, but the mathematical? I can understand it, and I can see it floating whole in my brain, but it just fuzzes out if I try to explain it. It's like trying to hold sand

I went from advanced classes, to special education. I'm still mildly bitter about it. I try to work with what I have.

But I say take the test. I would have if I could have.

6. My IQ is a complex number - the imaginary part makes me look intelligent as hell but the real part makes me out to be a fucking idiot. [​IMG]