Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Melatonin

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by 47KushStrains, Feb 9, 2015.

1. are there any real negative long term side effects from taking 3-5mg of melatonin a night?

weed isnt enough to cure my awful, awful insomnia. melatonin is really the only thing ive found that can help knock me out.

2. #2 josephjt93, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
    Obviously you aren't smoking the right kind of cannabis. Learn a bit more about cannabis and harvest timing and you can tailor your strain to fit every need you have. But to answer your question, melatonin is naturally produced by the body when it is subjected to darkness. Think of a flowering female plant subjected to the appropriate darkness and how retarded it may become when fluctuations occur and darkness is withheld. You need dark to sleep, not tv screens and phone lights. Most sleep disorders can cured by being stress-free and full of cannabis.

Besides melatonin is only a supplement to be used until your problem is solved which should only take a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Only harmful part is addiction, your body will slowly stop producing it and itll be a bitch to stop using it. 
    So the answer is cycle it

4. Addiction like addiction to other sleeping pills and nicotine and caffeine? Get out of the forums with your knowledgeable answers, please. You'd know melatonin causes no such problems if you've ever even used it. The supplement is heavily recommended for older people who may not produce as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Yes, addiction as in very minor addiction as your body stops producing it. Thats why I recommend cycling it as you should any other supplement. 
    as for the knowledge part, I used to bodybuild using about 12 different supplements at a time, including melatonin. My best advice for ANY supplement including things like protein powder and vitamins (basics) should be cycled. While I dont lift at all anymore, and I dont take any of that stupid shit anymore, I still have knowledge on it all. 
    Melatonin is a HORMONE produced in your body. Its like testosterone, if you supplement it your body will produce less without cycling. Thats why steroids make people sound like little pussies, because their body stops producing its own version of the hormone. 

you never know who has knowledge on these subjects...

He's correct, at least from my personal experiences. Your body will produce less Melatonin if it is constantly being supplemented.

7. 3-5 mg will only help for a bit. You'll build a tolerance like with everything else pretty quickly

8. #8 Galaxy420, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
    try and get the essential oil of cannabis indica and take it in high enough dose to knock your ass out!  that is how you do it with cannabis for insomnia, no questions asked. the dose has to be equivalent to the measure of need to offset the symptom. 

9. lol ive been smoking for 6 years and have intensly studied cannabis before. i am not in a legal nor medicinal state where i can purchase a specific strain. i also dont have ideal conditions to grow at this moment

10. I've taken some melatonin pills infrequently since 2010 when I needed something that would help me fall asleep. I was very sleepy but for some reason couldn't fall asleep, and I was sick of smoking weed which was enough to help me take a nap, maybe sleep for 8 hours, but weed wasn't strong enough to help me get back into a full night of sleep on a nightly basis. Anyway, basically one 3mg melatonin pill was enough to make me fall asleep for hours. It also affects dreaming though. I also got a melatonin e-cig vaporizor, which vaporized the melatonin. I would say that vaporizing the melatonin also worked, but that product line isn't really on the market.

So to answer your question, after recently using one or two 3mg melatonin pills on an almost-nightly basis for about 2-3 weeks, there weren't any long-term side effects that I noticed. After taking a pill, I would just fall asleep after 1-2 hours and basically try to get a full night of sleep. The only side effect that I noticed was that while sleeping after taking melatonin pills, my dreams were very random.