Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medical vs Recreational use

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Pufferz, May 29, 2011.

1. So me and my wife were talking about this last night and I couldnt find any similar threads so I thought I would start one to ask your guys take on it. I was saying that MJ should be fully legal so that there is no black market for it, less exposure to other drugs, taxable income, less dangerous then alcohol, etc. My wife said it should only be for medical and only available through prescription otherwise the general public will just see it as a way to get high. What do you guys think??

2. I think most of us were smoking way before there was medical marijuana where we live. how do people get off telling other people what they can or can't put into there own bodys. its a bit ridiculous if you ask me. it makes me angry just talking to people who think you shouldn't smoke because they think its wrong. who cares what they think is wrong or right, as long as I'm not hurting anybody I should be able to live my life how I see fit.

3. #3 Pufferz, May 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I agree with that point of view and I smoked recreationally before I smoked for medical reasons, but my post was more about it being accepted as a valid medical treatment if it was fully legalized. If you research ricks healing oil, and all the benefits it has for cancer and other ailments theres so many people suffering because it's not accepted by the general public.

4. Many people have diabetes and don't know it. Yet, if they are toking recreationally they still are getting the medical benefits of cannabis use.

Diabetic retinopathy is the #1 cause of blindness in American adults-

Marijuana Compound Offers Hope In Diabetic Retinopathy Prevention (news – 2006)
    Marijuana Compound Offers Hope In Diabetic Retinopathy Prevention ( A compound in marijuana has been found ...)

Diabetic neuropathy is the tingling, pain or numbness that comes with the nerve damage of diabetes. Diabetic neuropathy is also a cause of amputation of limbs.

Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract on diabetes induced neuropathy and oxidative stress. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract treatment on diabetes-induced neuropathy and oxidative stress. PubMed Journal article abstract

Diabetes damages hearts, too-

Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts (news - 2010)
    Medical News: Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts - in Lab Notes, Lab Notes from MedPage Today

And finally-

Cannabidiol reduces the development of diabetes in an animal study
    (news - 2006)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Shoud all those unaware, pot-head diabetics quit toking until the damage is done and then go in and get a prescription? Or should they keep toking for the "high", but still save themselves from going blind, losing a leg, or having a heart attack?

And that is just one way cannabis is a PREVENTATIVE MEDICINE! Shall I go into how it may slow MS? Or how it may prevent, or even reverse, Alzheimer's and cancer? Does your wife know that cannabinoids can slow the growth and spread of breast cancer?

Keep it illegal except by prescription? That is criminal just for what it can do for diabetics! If cannabis had killed even one person by overdose, I could see restrictions, but in over 4,000 years of written medical history, there has yet to be a single cannabis overdose fatality! (Common aspirin kills over 500 Americans a year)

The only way we will get cannabis accepted by the general public is to educate them! Once they know what cannabis can do, we will either have legal cannabis, or a revolution! Clicking that first link in my sig is a good place to start educating yourself so you can educate others!

5. Ask your wife what is so wrong with being high. Listen to her answers and I guarantee that you'll start to realize that her reasoning is based on illogical fears about cannabis and its effects. Once you see what her faulty reasoning is based on, it will be easy to demonstrate to her that it is, in fact, faulty reasoning. This assumes that she is a logically minded person.