Medical marijuana legalized in Connecticut

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Medical marijuana legalized in Connecticut
    MSN / Mary Ellen Clark / 5,1,2012

Connecticut on Friday became the 17th U.S. state to legalize the medical use of marijuana.

The state's Governor Dannel Malloy signed into law legislation allowing licensed physicians to certify an adult patient's use of marijuana for medical purposes, according to a statement from the governor's office. The new law puts in place restrictions to prevent the kind of abuse that has plagued some of the 16 other states and the District of Columbia where pot is legal for medical use.

"For years, we've heard from so many patients with chronic diseases who undergo treatments like chemotherapy or radiation and are denied the palliative benefits that medical marijuana would provide," Governor Malloy said. "With careful regulation and safeguards, this law will allow a doctor and a patient to decide what is in that patient's best interest," he said.

Under the bill, patients and their caregivers must register with the Department of Consumer Protection. In addition, a doctor must certify there is a medical need for marijuana to be dispensed, including such debilitating conditions as cancer, glaucoma, HIV, AIDS, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis or epilepsy. Finally, only a pharmacist with a special license can dispense medical marijuana, according to the new law.

;)Only 8 states to go till we have half,,,and the government is increasing the drug war budget.

2. Good Shit... Mass needs to follow

3. Congrats CT! It'll take an while for NY to follow through.

4. [quote name='"shaddytheman"']Congrats CT! It'll take an while for NY to follow through.[/quote]

Yeah our governor is a cocksucker. Decrim is pretty damn good though. Citations ftw.

5. Too bad you literally have to be in your death bed to even qualify for MMJ here, the restrictions are so tight.

6. [quote name='"Weasel King"']Too bad you literally have to be in your death bed to even qualify for MMJ here, the restrictions are so tight.[/quote]

I know. Don't get me wrong, it's great that this really I'll patients an get their medicine, but I'd still love to go to cvs to get some dank afgoo for my insomnia

7. Yes, that's true, however, the bill states a that a committee of physicians (not politicians) can vote and change the requirements for getting a card. I'm certain that they will listen to those that have IBS or just chronic pain. All of the doctors i've ever had in CT agree that long term use of oxycodon/ibuprophen/other pain killers is detrimental to your health, one even outright told me they would write me a prescription for MMJ if they legally could.

As of now, my chronic pain due to a spinal issue qualifies me for MMJ. I'll let you all know how it goes, cause i DEFINATELY will be applying :smoke:

8. one step at a time, good news for those who really need their medicine, compared to some stupid teenagers smoking schwag on a high school campus. which the media always portrays it as

9. Can you grow your own with this legislation?

10. I found the bill in my opionion it stinks. This is a great ploy to fuck patients, by running it stricktly thru pharmistist and only 10 growers allowed in the state I can see some high pot prices coming. Patients should be able to grow their own medicine. All to often i find a strain that works great for me only to get to the dispensary and they dont have it.budda cheese works great for me but after an all day search in seattle i couldnt find any. But i did order online seeds so i'll be growing my own. I think were gonna see more legislation to control mmj thru pharmacy's so big business can stick it in the ass of the sick.

11. No, it can only be grown by certified growers of which can sell to certified caregivers. Seems like they are taking every step to stop this system from being abused, which is why i believe the feds won't get too pissy about this bill.

12. I agree, it's a good first step. They went about it in a way that can be easily deregulated a bit more, but at a later time where they won't be as closely watched by the FED fucks.

13. One more state that shows the people voted this in. Its funny that this gets put
    on ballots and the man does not stop it. The last states not to pass med. or rec. use is going to be Texas, Florida, and maybe New York. Just my stoned ass opinion:smoking:

14. There are no bad laws that marijuana can't "fix",,,look how far she has come just on her own influence,,no advocate is doing this to get rich and very few expect to ever even make a living from marijuana,,and our job ends when we succeed,,,,and the drug czar calls us greedy people that do not understand drug addictions harms.

It may be true that I do not fully understand all addiction problems but for every problem addiction causes I can show you more harm done by prohibition.

15. #15 hurb1, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012
    Its good for the people that are fucking dieing so they can get some moments of relief before they shrivel up like a dead spider. But goddamn. What about the other 190 serious health issues that people suffer from chronically and could also get safe relief from. This law is like racism for medical conditions. I would call it medical conditionism, or something.
    Somehow its ok for most people to suffer as long as a handful of people get a green light to use an herb so they can take pictures for the newspaper. Fuck you.

16. [quote name='"hurb1"']Its good for the people that are fucking dieing so they can get some moments of relief before they shrivel up like a dead spider. But goddamn. What about the other 190 serious health issues that people suffer from chronically and could also get safe relief from. This law is like racism for medical conditions. I would call it medical conditionism, or something.
    Somehow its ok for most people to suffer as long as a handful of people get a green light to use an herb so they can take pictures for the newspaper. Fuck you.[/quote]

Or to cure whatever it is, namely cancer. Or save their life, namely wasting syndrome.

17. Exactly. Like most of the other laws in this state, it was considered by old bumfucks trying to seem liberal and progressive and they pretty much fucked up the liberty of MMJ up. It's supposed to be for pain relief. It's barely even prescribable for a handful of pain conditions, the other stuff is just "hey you're about to be dead, this weed might make the grim reapers face look a little less ugly". You shouldn't have to wait until your a geezer to be able to access sweet mary jane.

18. So they finally passed it in the state i was born only to have soooooo many restrictions on it lol and my family wonders why i would never move back to stratford ct lol

19. North Carolina next????