Medical marijuana in Pennsylvania?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by HerbJedenTag, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Is there any chance anything will happen in PA?

2. It has been in legislature for over a year with no plans on scheduling a vote on it. Wish they would do I could get effective arthritis medicine.

3. Oh..:(

4. Dude right there with ya, would love to see it in PA. My mom has horrible knee pains from arthritis and the docs can't do much but give her pain meds...I wish I could just let her try ganja lol.

5. I'm waiting but I doubt it'll happen. If you look at the hearings last time this came up, the MMJ folks put their best arguments forward and the opponents had nothing educated to say, yet it still got blocked. PA is a weird state.

6. Yeah the state is waiting i think to see whos gonna be the first to stick there neck out then were gonna fall in line. Philly already has a set up they dont push possession of small amounts and there saving money hand over fist and the court system is less congested so there is hope yet.

7. I hope so. I have gastroparesis and deal with nausea and vomiting every day. No cure and weed is the only thing that helps. :(

8. I really hope something passes. I would go to the doctor the day anything was passed. It would be great to be able to alleviate my back and knee pain legally. All with out having to go through sketchy people.

9. Well, stop hoping and start writing those politicians! Even republicans will change their minds if enough of you write them! How do I know? This news article is a good example of a republican MMJ flip-flop!

Medical marijuana legalization getting new life at Statehouse - Springfield, IL - The State Journal-Register
    \t"Illinois House Republican leader Tom Cross' change of heart could mean a change in the prospects for medical marijuana in Illinois.
    \tCross, R-Oswego, had opposed the legislation in the past, but changed his mind after hearing from constituents and members of the medical community"

And note that this wasn't a low level dude doing the flip-flop! And FYI, he is still in office.

How long it takes for Pennsylvania to get medical marijuana, is kind of up to all of you! I don't know how may letters it will take, but each one is one step closer to the magic number.

Here's where you can start - no matter what state you are in! :D

Contact Elected Officials | USA.gov

And don't forget those little local politicians (you get to look them up)! They will be the ones who decide if your area will allow dispensaries, numbers of plants you can grow, etc. It is a lot easier to convince them before it becomes an issue!

So you have decided you are going to write them, but what to say? :confused_2: See that first link in my sig? Click it and look for news articles like these (no reason to strain our politician's minds) -

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's[/FONT]

Then do a standard introduction -" Dear ____ I support medical marijuana, and you should, too! Here is just one reason why- ". Then just copy and paste a bit from the article to make the body of your letter...

"THC blocks an enzyme called acetylcholinesterase, which speeds the formation of amyloid plaque in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease.

The Alzheimer's drugs Aricept and Cognex work by blocking acetylcholinesterase. When tested at double the concentration of THC, Aricept blocked plaque formation only 22% as well as THC, and Cognex blocked plaque formation only 7% as well as THC."

Then you finish up- I do not believe that the American public should be forced to be restricted to a second-rate pharmaceutical, when there is a safe and more effective herbal medicine. If it were your loved one facing Alzheimer's, I am certain you would want them to have access to the most effective medicine! I hope that you will remember this when the vote for (your state's bill) comes up and will vote accordingly.

Your Name, a registered voter

OK, I have given you the addresses. I have evenwritten the letter for you!I don't know what more I can do to get you to write, except ask you a single question- Are you happy with the the way things are now?

If not, start changing things! Become an activist!

Granny :wave:

10. It'll also help to understand the other side of the issue (wrong as it may be). Everyone understands that MMJ provides medical benefits. It's no longer a real debate. What opponents are saying is things like:

1. What happens when patients sell/give their meds to others?
    2. My favorite (this was in a written testimony last time): We've spent so much time telling our kids about the dangers of drugs. What are we supposed to tell them now? Drugs are OK??? (I would love to smack that bitch in the face.)
    3. The state has no legal right to bypass federal law, which will cause trouble with federal funding, etc.
    4. The most-used one: MMJ must be regulated/vetted through the FDA. It has to go through proper testing before it can be considered valid medicine. (This is impossible while it's schedule 1, and the FDA has given us all kinds of winners in the past that later have been found to kill you or cause addiction. But still, we gotta go through them...wtf)
    5. Kids will use their grandma's MJ and then do crack and die.
    6. Criminals will wait outside clinics and rob patients so they can sell the product. (this came from a police chief.)

There really aren't any good arguments out there against it, but various groups of people who are against it for whatever reason keep bringing these little arguments in. Together, they create uncertainty and nothing ever gets done. MMJ benefits are dismissed as anecdotal and many people refuse to acknowledge it until they hear it from the FDA, which is unable to research anything due to Schedule 1 status.

It needs to just be pushed through by some lawmakers with balls. It would definitely be voted down if left to a citizen vote, because so many people in PA would come out against it due to being uneducated.

11. We jus need to support the SB 1003, which is practically a mirror image of HB 1393 that was introduced last session, debated, but never voted on prior to the end of the legislative session. Sen. Leach is joined this session by three other senators as co-sponsors – Larry Farnese (D-Philadelphia), Jim Ferlo (DAllegheney/Westmoreland/Armstrong) and Wayne Fontana (D-Allegheney).

SB 1003 would allow seriously ill and debilitated Pennsylvanians to use and possess medical marijuana free from the threat of arrest and prosecution at the state level so long as they have their physicians’ recommendations. In addition, this bill would create state regulated dispensaries so that Pennsylvania patients would have immediate, safe, and reliable access to their medicine.

*A residents should contact their local representatives and let them know they support SB 1003, and you should also think about joining your closest NORML chapter. They are on the front lines in PA, and making positive steps toward keeping cannabis users out of jail.