Medical Marijuana in MD

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by HCShock, Feb 18, 2010.

1. A bill was just introduced to the Maryland state Senate to create state licensed medical marijuana dispensaries.
    I'm from Maryland myself, so this is a pretty great thing to hear.

What do you guys think is the likelihood of the bill passing? Has anyone heard or read anything about how the bill will fair? I'm curious.

2. OMFG THIS IS THE BEST NEWS ALL DAY!

I hope to GOD it passes, but from living here my whole life... I must be pessimistic.

Unfortunatley for this Old Line State, I just feel like the state is too conservative and scared for this to pass. Id be super stoked if it did, but I just don't think our reps have the balls to pass it.

3. Same situation in Kansas

4. It has a higher chance of passing than the one in VA did, that's for sure. Maryland is pretty liberal, so there is some hope, but it's a long shot.

5. I'm not sure, I've read articles that have said it has a good chance. They created a bipartisan bill. Both democrats and republican are supporting the bill, so maybe there is a better chance.
    Unfortunately, I also read that there are some major flaws in the bill that medical marijuana advocates are trying to get rid of.
    But hopefully is will pass.

By the way, here is the article that I read.
    New State Medical Marijuana Law Introduced in Maryland Legislature | CommonDreams.org

6. Well hey man, thanks for keeping me updated on this. Still good news, I'm just afraid that the real conservatives and panic mongers wont let this pass.

7. #7 HeavyHands, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2010
    well after reading more it seems even if it does pass it will be controlled and regulated heavly but at least it will be a step in the right direction

8. yea thats what i heard too, from what i read it said that the state government will look how all the other states have run their dispensaries and will fix any flaws they have had....so basically they will be all run by the government.. but who really cares lol just as long as it does get passed right?

9. Maryland does already have medicinal legislation, but it's currently very limiting. From NORML.org

[quote name='"Maryland - NORML"]SUMMARY: Maryland's legislature passed a medical marijuana affirmative defense law in 2003. This law requires the court to consider a defendant's use of medical marijuana to be a mitigating factor in marijuana-related state prosecution. If the patient, post-arrest, successfully makes the case at trial that his or her use of marijuana is one of medical necessity, then the maximum penalty allowed by law would be a $100 fine.

MEDICAL MARIJUANA STATUTES: Maryland Darrell Putman Compassionate Use Act, Md. Code Ann., Crim. Law §5-601(c)(3)(II) (2003).[/quote]

Hope this new one passes.

10. the law we have now is bullshit IMO same as having no law.

11. update: the two bills now have numbers its sb627 & hb712

12. Awesome, awesome. Anything we can do to help move it along?