Medical marijuana advocates plan rally outside Redding council chambers

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Medical marijuana advocates plan rally outside Redding council chambers
    RRC / Jennt Espino / 3.19,2012

Medical marijuana advocates plan to rally Tuesday outside Redding City Hall to keep up the pressure on council members who in closed session will discuss the court ruling that struck down a ban on storefront collectives.

But some of the city's collectives today were cautious and tried to distance themselves from the event.
    “I don't want to be a rude winner,” said Hillary Criner, who with her husband, Cass, own Family Tree Care Center, one of the plaintiffs in the legal challenge to the city's ban. “This was a big win. But we need to be graceful. What I want is to work with the city.”

Tuesday's rally starts at 5 p.m. outside of council chambers, said James Benno, a medical marijuana patient and advocate who called for the event Friday on Facebook. “I've got 3,000 people who follow my page. We'll see how many show up,” he said.

The council will decide whether it should appeal Shasta County Superior Court Judge Stephen Baker's ruling late Wednesday, which denied the city's request for a court order to close the collectives. Baker relied heavily on the 4th District Court of Appeal decision in city of Lake Forest v. Evergreen. That ruling struck down a dispensary ban in Lake Forest.

Benno said he is encouraging participants to voice their opinions during the public comments portion of the council meeting, which is scheduled at 6 p.m. in the chambers, 777 Cypress Ave. “This is not an issue that can be settled behind closed doors,” said Benno, adamant the council should let what happened last week in court lie. “This already has been settled at the local level.”

Natalie Fuellenbach, a spokeswoman for Herbs & Edibles, said the rally puts the spotlight on medical marijuana patients, who are caught in the middle of the debate. “The patients just want to be heard. They want to be recognized. This is their way of saying, ‘We are here. Recognize us,'” she said. “We've won the battle, not the war.”