Medical Marijuana: A good thing?

Discussion in 'General' started by JesusC, Nov 7, 2007.

1. I was pondering this the other day, thought I would share it with the city and see what you guys think.

Is pushing for Medical Marijuana really a good thing?

The reason I ask is because if Marijuana is legalized for Medical use, doesnt that mean the pharmaceutical companies will gain control of our crop? How can that be a good thing?

I understand that legal use for Medical purposes can be viewed as a step in the right direction, but part of me really wonders if that is the direction we should be heading. Even if it is legalized for Medical purposes, how does that help someone like me? I will still be considered a criminal in the eyes of the law.

I dont know, the whole medical marijuana thing just seems like a bad idea to me and seems like it would cause an even greater rift between the recreational users and the government....eventually leading to more arrests and controversy.

I think the only result we should accept as Marijuana users is decriminalization. I dont want to see the pharmaceutical companies with control over this crop.

Of course, im willing to accept the fact that my view on this may be wrong. What do you guys think?

Edit: To sum up my thoughts, I was thinking that the legalization for Medical purposes would have a negative impact (or slowing effect) on the push/possibility for the decriminalization of recreational use.

2. Illegalized marijuana puts dirty money in the hands of the al' capones of the country, just like alcohol back in the day.

legalization and regulation will likely put an end to the black markets because the goods wont be profitable. although they maybe cheaper and more readily avaiable.

I really dont think that pharm industry will ever "take control" because of other countries and the worldwide breeding of the such will never end just because of the Pharm companies in the US. Seed will always be available for the home growers thru the net. Although i think if it was legalized many growers could be out of a job because of thinner profit margins, but not all growers are all about that so it wont be taken over completely imo

3. I Think everything should be decriminalized, thats because no matter what people will always try to get their fix, illegal or not. With weed this is even moreso true. It can be massively cultivated now at home in a more efficient way than making meth, M-H, or coke.

Even if pharms got control of medical marijuana there will still be dispensers, personal grows, and street dealers. I think medical marijuana is necessary though. Even now there are tens of thousands who are deprived it that could seriously be helped.

I have bad anxiety, and weed is the most effective thing. I've been prescribed xans, and as nice as that is, the side effects aren't worth it. My friend has a tick real bad. Can barely speak without studdering every other word, when he smokes he speaks almost perfectly.

A lot of people under the medical umbrella abuse it, but thats the same with every substance.

The way I see it is as long as people are going want it, this applies to coke/H/everything, then people will get it. No one can stop it, the markets too profitable. Only thing to do is criminalize which in this case is victimization. Abuse should be fought, not use.

We may be going about legalization in an unfavored way but with our society not much seems effective, so it seems we have to beat them at their own game. Although it's the legislators that are causing all the violence, extortion, and every negative stigma. Ironically everything they're fighting with prohibition is caused by prohibition.

4. I dont really agree, only because of the fact that people like you and I would still be getting weed from someone, somewhere....unless we grow our own. Either way, in both cases we would still be criminals, as would anyone else who isnt part of a "company" that only supplies and provides it for Medical use.

Edit: Unless you were referring to decriminalization, in which case I agree that the pharmaceutical companies wouldnt take control over the product....they'd have no leverage to do so if it were legal for all.

5. your right Id be getting it from the phram companies assuming they set the market value like everything else in order to eliminate competition,the phram companies is big business man, they got that shit on lock, id really like to see ANY street grower compete.

I mean if what you said was true then there would be just as many bootleggers making moonshine as there was back in the 20's, but there arent because the industry ran them out of business when prohibition ended.

Im just hypothesizing.

6. Wrong brother, the pharma bloc can't take control of it as it is a natural compound and not subject to trademark or intellectual property laws. The control would be as a medicinal herb, grown under perhaps stricter conditions, which may be government monitored, but private farmers would still be the means of production. The reason it is so hated by the pharma bloc is that there is no way for them to wrest control away from the people.

I still favor outright legalization, for growing and consumming on your own property, any bounty that the earth can yield. But MMJ is making an in road to that state, so it's got to be a good thing.

Remember, a lot of over the counter meds, started off as prescription only. Why should Cannabis be any different?

7. Even if MJ was legalized across the board, the people who ran the mj "black market" will simply go above ground. In the Netherlands, prostitution is legal and organized crime syndicates still run that industry. While the US and the Netherlands are different and even the prostitution and MJ industry have their differences, everyone will want to make money off of the legalization. Legalization will never "end" the black market. Shoot, people still make and sell moonshine. This is not to say that I am against legalization or decrim. or whatever. Even as a med user the feds can crash through my door at any moment even though highly unlikely.

To the OP, of course medical marijuana is a good thing. Myself and probably millions others have found the medical qualities of MJ to be a true life saver. Suffering from UC has made life difficult and MJ really helps. I too have thought about the nightmare scenario of pharm companies taking over the industry but I highly doubt it. Medical Marijuana is a good start to the overall goal of decrim. cause I don't think the US will EVER flat out legalize it. It is too politically sensitive. Instead of creating a rift between med users and recreational users, I see the medical initiative as an opportunity for everybody who enjoys this plant for whatever reason to unite.

I hope you guys can understand this semi ramble.

8. I don't think pharm would control it. With all the personal growers who would start it would probably hamper commercial growing. Which is evil, promotes bad genetics, and makes weed way more expensive than a plant should ever be.

People who grow should be trying to spread the love of the herb, not make a quick buck.

With everyone growing and having pounds for pers, theres bound to be people who will still sell to close friends. Everyone will be getting better bud, closer to home, for cheaper.

9. Okay, I think im understanding what you're saying here. Obviously they cant take control of the plant itself (that was more of a metaphorical statement that I made), but they can take control over the distribution...in a sense.

My only concern is that the legalization of MMJ would slow the process/or progress of decriminalization for recreational use, know what I mean?

Edit: Kinda like the government saying "there, we gave you MMJ...now shut up". In which case, I would still be a criminal for smoking.

Is this one of those situations where you believe we should just take every inch the government gives us, or should we (as a group) demand decriminalization across the board, and not settle for anything less?

10. According to the Controlled Substances Act, which gave us the DEA, and made marijuana a schedule one drug, any substance found to have a medical acceptable use, in its raw state or if medicine can be extracted from it, has to be RE- CLASSIFIED as a schedule 2 or schedule 3 drug. If this were to happen now, and the studies are mounting to show the proof, your fears would be allayed immediately.

I tell you my friend, the day is coming very soon. If MMJ can lead us to legalization, then praise the Medical Pioneers who are leading the way. The only thing stopping it is divisiveness within OUR ranks. We are the voices of the future.

11. On top of that, im wondering what percentage of the population of Marijuana users are those who use it for "medical" purposes only? And what classifies as a "medical" purpose?

At what point do you draw the line (regarding MMJ), and deny someone the right to MMJ?

This is the confusion MMJ creates I think. It can be used for so many different reasons and to treat so many things, I dont see how you can deny anyone the right to using it.

Edit: "I dont see how you can deny anyone the right to using it". Maybe thats the point of MMJ.....whoa, did I just have one of those breakthrough moments????:hippie:

12. I think it should be offered to everyone. As is every drug. Most doctors, if you go in with a list of symptoms, will give you any med that has abuse potential. (I've got Xanax, Percocet, and Promethazine) If you're older you could probably request the medicine and get it.

As long as it's for personal use (IE. No resale), and is accessed through dispensaries then NO ONE should be denied a medicine that in many cases is more effective than a pharm alternative.

Since MMJ can be prescribed for anything from depression, anxiety, to physical disorders such as nausia, eye problems, chemo side effects, and AID waisting syndrome. MMJ can help just about everyone. Since studies show majority of people have experienced depression, they should be eligible for MMJ.

Since Marijuana has no negative side effects, and has so many medicinal effects, no one should be denied it.

13. Hey in addition to our post count matching, JC, I think its a cool debate and I have had this discussion with a lot of my friends. Any acceptance is an acceptance for the cause. We won't stop fighting there, don't worry.

We got the Industrial Hemp bill in California, only the Governor won't let us have it. Vetoed it. Twice. But its going to cross his desk again next year, because the PEOPLE want it!
    And the People, they will accept MMJ!!!!! Is that nuts? Hemp isn't even a drug! Its just the most useful plant ever to be made illegal by industrial bribery. Or " Campaign Contributions", as they're called.

But you see, the point is that logic and reason will wear them down eventually, like the never ending waves on the shore. We will make this come to be, but baby steps are first, before we sprint.

14. You are exactly right when you say that "I don't see how you can deny anyone the right to using it" for MMJ puposes.
    When Prop. 215 was being written, originally it was for AIDS and cancer patients but every patient lobby in CA wanted to be included in the bill. That is why Prop. 215 allows MJ to be used in ANY illness or condition that benefits from MJ. In the words of one of the founding authors of the bill he stated that since he was not a scientist or doctor studying the benefits of medical MJ, so it was not his decision on who could benefit from MJ. AK Infinity posted a 60 Minutes that had an interview with that guy.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/legalization-activism/177384-60-minutes-debate-californias-pot-shops.html
    I do have a beef with that guy though cause when he talks he makes it seem like the "real" people who benefit from MMJ are only cancer and AIDS patients.

15. NEVER associate medical marijuana legalization with marijuana decriminalization/legalization.
    The right always shoot down medical marijuana saying the left is using it as a stepping stone for complete legalization. That is actually one of their arguments- and its true.

The fact of the matter is that medical marijuana is about human rights, whereas decriminalization/legalization for recreational use is about personal freedom.

We don't NEED marijuana. We want it. That is a liberty.

16. Very good point.

Only thing I would add is that I think its ironic that the people making decisions about whether or not marijuana should be legal, if its a gateway drug, etc, are the same people who have never used it....at least for the most part.

How can you make a law against the use of something, claim it to be a certain "something", when you havent even experienced the drug yourself?

Thats like someone saying steak tastes horrible, without ever having a bite.

But I think im see the point of MMJ now. Once MMJ is legalized, the goverment will quickly be forced into realizing that EVERYONE has a right to this medicine, and nobody can be denied its use....therefore it will be available for all.

:hello:

17. Why everyone is so afraid of the pharm industry i will never know

18. AIDS
    Cancer
    Multiple Sclerosis
    PTSD
    Arthritis/ Fibromyalgia
    Tourret's Syndrome
    ADHD/ADD
    Chronic Back Pain/Spinal disc compression
    Alcoholism( yes that's right!)
    Countering effects of Chemotherapy
    Insomnia
    Mood disorders
    Alzheimer's disease

And this is nowhere near a complete list...dozens of human ailments are positively affected by Cannabinoid Therapy

The only condition I know of that it is possibly bad to treat schizophreniacs with it, a study has shown a slight exaggeration of symptoms in their case, but a very slight trend that may later be disproven.

The cannabinoid receptors are in your brain at birth, as if this plant was designed for human enhancement if used correctly. Nice, Nice, Very Nice!