Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medical edibles for post-surgery patients?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Aracratz, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Hey GC, so I have a really important question to ask you guys.

What would be the best pain-relieving single-serving edible out there? I see a bunch of recipes for weednutbutter and firecrackers and whatnot, but no real info on the pain-relieving benefits of it.

Anyway, he's having various ligaments in his knee replaced (he's a pro tennis player) and he's allergic to opium-based painkillers. He wants me to make him something to help alongside NSAID pain relievers. What edible would be best for relieving his pain? I suppose that would be a high CBD/N concentration?

Never gone into the scientifics of weed chemistry/ edible making. Please help.

Btw, this is rephrased from a post in Edibles. I really need help, this all happened so quickly. The surgery is tomorrow.

-Ara

2. Well, idk where you tolerance is at with edibles or smoking, but i can say that the my tolerance is preety high and i eat hash bars like pj budder bars, max bars and hubby bars theres alot of different types of hash edible brands. I no that the creaters of the hubby bar broke up and on of the creators created the pj budder bars

3. Thanks for the reply, but I'm looking for the best single-serving edible for pain relief that I can make.

Come on guys, I really need to have it ready by the time my dad gets home.

4. It's not the edibles that determine if it works it's the quality of the canna butter used. The butter I use is made of shake and buds from Indica. It's a but pricy but well worth it. You should check out Leafy.Com. It will give you the names of strains and their medical value. Hope this helps.

5. One more thing, if you choose to buy the butter make sure it's a dark green. In case your unaware, smoking it it will give a high for about a half hour whereas ingesting takes several hours to kick in but the feeling will last for up to four hours sometimes longer depending how much is eaten.

6. I am not medical. I live in South Carolina. However, I want to use the MJ I have for a medical use.

I must not be making myself clear. What would be the best pain-relieving edible for someone just coming out of a knee surgery? How would I make it?

7. Find Badkitty

She's the best with edibles round here

8. I second the above! Go to the edibles section and look in the stickies!

I would go for a joint or pipe first for immediate relief. And then if that goes OK, do the edible! Beginners often have "one bite too many" with edibles and that causes panic attacks or unpleasant sensations.

Cannabis also increases the pain-killing ability of opiate drugs (which the doctors will give him), but not increase the potential for addiction to the opiates.

Cannabis in Palliative Medicine: Improving Care and Reducing Opioid-Related Morbidity (abst - 2011)
    Cannabis in Palliative Medicine: Improving Care and Reducing Opioid-Related Morbidity

Cannabis effective at relieving pain after major surgery (news - 2006)
    Cannabis effective at relieving pain after major surgery

Cannador: Drug from cannabis plant-extract to reduce surgery pain (news - 2006)
    Cannador: Drug from cannabis plant-extract to reduce surgery pain

Cannabinoids for Postoperative Pain (letter – 2007)
    Cannabinoids for Postoperative Pain : Anesthesiology

Cannabinoid Receptor Agonist Significantly Reduces Post-Operative Pain, Study Says (news – 2007) Cannabinoid Receptor Agonist Significantly Reduces Post-Operative Pain, Study Says

(agonist = activator - THC is a cannabinoid receptor agonist)

Hope that helps! (click that first link in my sig for a huge bunch of studies on "Pain")

Granny

9. Seeing as how your father is allergic to opium-based painkillers, he might want to ask his Docs about Tramadol. It's a nonopium pain killer that works on the opium recepters. I use it along with MMJ for pain and it works quite well.