Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medical Card for Clinical Depression

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by kenbodude, Mar 3, 2009.

1. #1 kenbodude, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    message deleted

2. Should not be a problem at all in California.

I think that its a great idea to kick the Zoloft to the curb and embrace the herb

*KellY*

3. #3 merlon, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009

apparently no problem, just bring in you medical history and your current medications

4. If you find the right doc, it won't be a problem. I have a friend who lives in San Francisco and he got a card for insomnia caused by clinical depression and anxiety. He only had to go to one doctor but his psychiatrist wrote a recomendation to the MMJ doctor stating that he had severe insomnia and that his illness wasn't being controlled by the anti-depresssants he was on. If you have any symptoms like that, it shouldn't be a problem. Don't bullshit the docs though; they can tell if you're lying. Honestly, if you don't actually need to smoke/medicate every day to stay happy, just buy your weed on the black market.

5. Please get your facts straight, You are wrong and wrong. Cannabis is not a central nervous system depressant, which alcohol is. And central nervous system depression does not mean cognitive depression anyways. but thats besides the point. And I was recommended marijuana with a clinical depressino diagnisos, as many studies have shown it to be beneficial.

6. WHAT the hell? This is the SECOND time this morning I've seen this posted. It's patently WRONG.

7. haha ya i saw the other thread this guy is spreading misinformation..

8. #8 merlon, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
    my mistake, this is what a doctor who was giving me my reccomondation in SF said. he is at Green relief in sf...im not making shit up to be an asshole, but i suppose i should have double checked before i posted a doctors opinion as fact.

9. sorry i was harsh bro, If its comin from a Doc its his screw up not yours. Some docs I guess are still scared of substance abuse from depression patients. Luckily theres some that realize marijuana can be very beneficial to someone whose life has just been dull forever.

10. im a medical marijuana patient, and i dont like to read misinformation either, so i feel where you are coming from...

im just happy someone told me that i was wrong over the internet, i would have been a lot more embarassed if i told someone i knew this misleading info, and then they find out its BS....

11. I suggest sativa strains for depression

12. I've done a lot of research on medicating depression/anxiety with weed (as I could benefit from it) and I really think that pharmeceutical medication works better and is much more controlled. IMO

13. thats not what i think hes asking, hes wamts to know if having clinical depression will allow him to legally obtain and consume cannabis in his state

is just a reason to smoke legally (from what i gather)....he may still want to use his pharmecutical meds, but who wouldnt want to be covered under prop 215, if they are already a smoker of mariuana

14. I see. I would probably do the same thing, if Minnesota passes medical I would get a card but keep my pills.

I just wouldn't use it for my sole treatment.

15. my mom used to translate all that info that is required by law when advertising or selling drugs ("pharmaceuticals"). Most of it was side-effects. Marijuana would be BY FAR my number one choice for depression.

16. I just want to note that many people have succesfully stopped taking SSRI's for depression and just use marijuana. I think it is more like a trial and error type of deal. Try the marijuana and see if it helps you and then you can start tappering off your anti-depressant.

Links:
    Medical Marijuana for Pain and Depression
    Medical Marijuana - Depression
    FOXNews.com - Marijuana Improves Depression in Low Doses, Worsens It in High Doses, Study Says - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News
    Depression: Medical Marijuana is a Successful Therapy - Salem-News.Com

There is more info out there (maybe even some in Journals?) related to marijuana and depression.

Good luck

17. you might have some problems , depression is a hard one because its so often mis-diagnosed. it will take alot more work and you will probably need a very supportive doctor AND pshycologist report , both stating they support the use of medical cannabis.

but apart from that , talk to your doctor and see what his/her views are. if he/she is against it...find another one.

if you had a more seriose illness you would not need a supportive doctor , just a medical report stating your condition. depression is extremely LOW on the list of seriose conditions. it wont be easy for you.

Goodluck!