Me?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Gatson, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Thoughts: in its simplest form, this is my goal. Too many times I'm either overwhelmed, have a great, grand, even GROUNDBREAKING thought and it just slips from my brain sooner or later. I understand that these thoughts are often, if not always, only enlightening to myself, but that's good enough for me. Before I start I would like to give a few ideas that I like to think are good advice.

First and foremost, (I know this is completely random but…) one HAS to try some form of hallucinogen at some point in their life. Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of shrooms but to each his own. They (hallucinogens in general) are often life changing and always thought provoking. The most important thing I can tell you though is if you ever dive into something new, make sure you are completely comfortable going into the experience. Plan your trip down to the minute. There is a very good chance that you will not follow this plan in the least, but it will make you feel much, much more at ease going into the situation.

Second, do your own thing (probably the most obvious and oft given advice there is) . I was going to try and be a little bit more specific, but every person's situation is different and unique. It could be something as simple as enjoying the moment and living for the present, or something as drastic as jumping on a bus, following your favorite political party around the nation. Make spontaneous decisions as often as possible and never regret them. You'll learn something in every situation you're presented.

Third, and to me the most important bit of advice I have to give is DON'T WORRY. Don't worry about anything, it doesn't change a damn second of what has already happened and it's not going to make a difference as to what is going to happen in the end. I know this is a concept that's hard to grasp for many people, but if you try your hardest to adopt this way of thinking, it will forever change your life for the better. You'll live longer if I had to guess (although I'm not medical guru). Less stress in your life and more time to think happy thoughts :-D.

So, now that I have those three pointless items out of the way, time to get into some real rambling. If you've actually made it this far, you may want to move on at this point. Unless you're ACTUALLY interested in what a random person has going through his head. Otherwise, you're about to be bored out of your mind.

Conformity…to me it has to be one of the most ambiguous words in the English language. Actually, I take that back. The definition of conformity is cut and dry. I guess what I should really say is…Conformity…to me it has to be one of the most ambiguous words in modern SOCIETY. All those bullshit, condescending “Above the Influence” commercials amaze me. As simply as I can put it, those commercials discourage independent, free flowing, out of the box ideas. I guess you could call this the basic idea of my rant. Not the commercials, but conformity in general. Given the nature of this forum, I feel like anyone who decides to make it through this passage will agree with most of what I have to say.

Elementary school, middle school, high school…even college. They all perpetuate certain attitudes, ideals, thoughts on how society should be viewed. They all perpetuate how one should even interact with society. After thinking about how I was raised, and how most people are raised, it amazes me that there are as many free thinking people around as we have. I look at people who let their thoughts flow instead of jumping on whatever bandwagon comes around, and it makes me smile. Gives me faith in people. Don't get me wrong…I'm not one for the abolishment of all things authoritative. As I take the slow and painful walk into adulthood, I realize more everyday that there are ways to go about everything the right way. The unfortunate part of this little realization is that half the time, we (we meaning society in general) pick the most ass backwards way to teach the youth of the nation. Adolescents are the future of our country. When I am 60 years old, this country is going to be run by 35-50 year old human beings. This is the reason that I can't just sit back with my mouth shut just because I feel like I turned out fine. All we're taught is, “Go to school, get out as soon as possible and get a 9:00-5:00 lined up for you the day you graduate”. Personally, I'm in no hurry to jet, myself. I know I'm going to be working the rest of my life, so why the hurry to become an adult? If I get my career when I'm 28, as opposed to my friends when they're 24, I'll be happier because of it. I'm going to be wrapping this up soon so if you actually took the time to read this, don't worry. The end is near. I'm not calling for some kind of crazy revolution. That's unrealistic and a little extreme. What I can say is, I really believe that if my generation (say, ages 17-26) took a bigger interest in our youth, and the way they are being herded like sheep, it might actually make some kind of difference. We are the generation that has gone through adolescence recently. We are the generation that know and can feel where the future of this country is headed. We may not know what's best for the nation at this point in time, but we do know what is best for us. When you get to this point in one's life, adults will be hard pressed to play the “young and naïve” card. I'm 21 and while I still have years to learn various things, I can say that I'm an adult and have every right to make my own decisions as my 50 year old father does. So, what do any of these unconnected, sometimes hard to understand ideas have to do with anything? Not a whole lot. It's just what's going through my head right now.

I do think I'll be making occasional updates to this thread…if you ever decide to come back for more, smile at the fact that this will most likely be the longest, uninformative read that you'll ever see from me. If you want to tell me that this is stupid or that I'm wasting space, be my guest. You're probably right. Lucky for me, I don't care. I'm not doing this for anyone but myself. If this has 0 views 2 months from now, I'll be perfectly ok with that. And I'll keep them coming as well. But if I'm lucky enough to catch the interest of even one person, I'll be more than satisfied. If you have a problem with anything I've said or would like to chat about anything specific, feel free to respond or even send me a PM. Or if you just can't find anyone to talk to about what you have a passion for. I love discourse about basically anything and everything. Plus it's always more fun with people you don't know.

Thanks if you stuck around. As time goes on, my thoughts might start to run together a little instead of jumping all over the place.

Kevin