Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

MB2 tincture questions!

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by BNZIP, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Hi everyone! I'm making tincture for the first time (to make hard candies) and i'm making in my mb2. I have a couple questions!

My boyfriend prefers any edibles to be as strong as possible, how much trim can i use in the MB2 with the least amount of everclear? I read something somewhere that stated that the MB2 burned their tincture, while they didn't say why it happened, i could assume maybe there was too much flower compared to liquid. I know that you have to have 2 cups minimum of liquid, but how much flower/trim can I add in there with that amount?

Should I run it for 4 hours or 8? I currently have it on 130F and its set for 4 hours - but my plan is to run it 8 - i just wanted to check on it to make sure nothing was burning.

Thanks in advance!

2. #2 Joker1121, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Well, since you already have it running you can tell us how much trim you could fit into your 2 cups of Everclear. Your Everclear may be quickly depleted with heat. You need to keep a close eye on your process.
    How long to process- did you decarb before starting up the MB2? Decarb is a necessary step. A couple of quick five minutes soaks with a good rinse with fresh Everclear is sufficient to glean the THC from your cannabis. No need to process for hours unless you omitted the crucial decarb step.We have the tincture expert, PsychedelicSam on the forum in Another Tincture thread and the Dragon Lite thread. Check out those two threads. Good luck. I hope you make some awesome candies!

3. I might be the person who posted about burned herb.

190 proof everclear boils around 173 F.
    The 160 F setting on MBM is too close to that for comfort, and creates high enough alcohol vapor pressure that the alcohol can disappear after a few hours, and then the herb might scorch.

For long soaks, I recommend using multiple cycles of [(1 hr @130 F) + (4 hr @ NoHeat)]., or something similar.
    160 F might be ok for an hour or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I decarbed 40 min at 240!
    I ask because i have to make a few batches, we had quite a bit of trim this last go around. So i wanted to know if i could add more. I currently have 2.3 oz of trim in 2 cups of everclear. But there's still open space in the MB2 so i'm not sure how much more could in without it "absorbing" all of the liquid. Maybe I will end the process at 4 hours to save some time.

5. I have the setting at 130F. Is that too high? Should i stop the MB2 sooner than the full 4 hour cycle? Instead of doing 4 hours @ 130F and then another 4 hours @ 130F, should I continue this 4 hour cycle at 130F and then do another 4 hour cycle with no heat?

6. You're making tincture. I must not understand what a MB2 does, any way Wild Bill answered your question. Read it again.
    i

7. The same debate happens within the MBM users community as elsewhere.
    Long soak, or freezer cold quick rinse?
    Heat or no heat for long soaks?

Whatever you do should be fine.
    With alcohol tincture, the heat is intended for extraction only, without simultaneous infusion, as is the case with oils, so heat is much less important.
    My preference, not the result of any experiment, is to use those 1 hr @ 130 F + 4 h @ NoHeat cycles, so that warm alcohol bathes the herb, for an extended period of time.
    I've actually done this for several days in a row, until the remaining sludge is almost colorless.

• Like Like x 1
  8. It really sounds like an ISO3, except that the ISO3 will reclaim your alcohol from processing that much cannabis. When cannabis is made into full extract oil in the ISO3 the resulting mash, depending on how long your process, is straw colored. P'Sam found cannabis was decarbed after 12 hours in the ISO3. The ISO3 uses heat throughout the process.

9. [​IMG]

Freeze Alcohol overnight.
    Freeze weed as well if possible.
    1 near full quart of rough ground buds
    1 full 750ml of very high proof Alcohol 190 proof is best.
    Add booze to weed.
    Shake 10 seconds.
    Done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I use a potato ricer to squeeze out the tincture from the wet weed.
    [​IMG]

Finished Tincture.

Long soaks = pulls more waxes and chlorophyll and adds more bitterness IME.
    Long Heat = Sleepy time.

I want to be awake and enjoy my stone and not be pinned to the couch and knocked the fuck out.
    Keeping processing as short as possible will keep your edibles upbeat and get up and go time.

Just my 50 odd years of messing with the herb.
    :)
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  10. Whatever your method, you can always reduce the alcohol down after it's done to increase strength if its not strong enough. No open flames though so if you have a gas stove, forget it! :)

• Agree Agree x 1