"May contain up to 15% chicken broth"

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by Ugyatag, Aug 19, 2010.

1. So I noticed this line on the frozen chicken breasts I had been buying, so I spent a little more money for non-frozen chicken breasts, and was pretty pissed off to see this once again. Is this true of all/most chicken breasts in the US? Is this something I should avoid?

2. It comes with the territory of living in a first-world country, my friend... particularly the United States. It doesn't really matter where you buy your meat, you will always see that notification. I've seen it at Whole Foods, believe it or not, on Chicken Breasts purported to be untreated and 'Organically Fed.'

The best thing you could do for yourself and your health is to find a good local ranch with a decent reputation and buy all of your meat from there in bulk to freeze at your house.

3. The worst part about it is that you dont know whats in the chicken broth, chances are its filled with preservatives that make the meat last longer and flavor enhancers.

4. I never noticed this, Ima have to look at the bags i got and check em.

5. Grocery store meat is injected with all kinds of shit... brine solutions, chicken broth, preservatives, dyes, etc. It's really scary that even things like meat come along with so many unknown ingredients that you need a food science degree to understand it all.

I try to buy all of my meat from small local farms, it's a little more expensive, but really worth it.

6. Well I wish I never saw this and just went on eating my brine-enhanced chicken in ignorance. I don't have the money or time to seek out locally grown, organic food.