maximum 3 ft grow?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by RWK Nova, Jan 27, 2010.

1. #1 RWK Nova, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2010
    Alright I am starting to finalize my decision on growing I am going to grow under a basement stair case so its like this

http://www.johnbunford.co.uk/Staircase.jpg
    the black part of the side is where i want to grow at except mine is a full wall and a doorway at the end Its like a storage area
    and about each step is eight inches so 4 steps is 36 inches=3 feet and im looking for the lights too be above the plant so yea that would have to make up for some space.
    what lights should i use for one or two plants i want CFL's or Hps(which is better)what nutes should i use and when to add them. and also the soil one time i planted some seeds in this soil and i guess the soil sucked and i saw some bugs in i guess they were in the soil always anyways they were green and after about 24hours after sprout the plants would die and i could easily pull the plants out with like no strength at all.

2. People will say HPS is better and some will say CFL lights are better. What it comes down to from all the reading I have done is that cfl are cheaper to run and they help with space/heat issues since you can put them within inches of the plants.

Just about everyone I have looked into uses some sort of Fox Farm soil. Nutes.. I have heard SOOO much on that. From Fax Farm to some crazy concoction someone made themselves. I myself for my second and real grow will just go all Fox Farm soils and Nutes.

Just do a little reading, you will be very surprised on the amount of info you get from these forums. Just take it all in and then do what you think is best for your grow. You do not have to be exactly like someone else here. Adapt it all to your own grow.

I am still a noob at all this, so I am sure others can give you "pro" advice.

3. ok so im gonna be using Cfl's and fox farm i have searched around and seen so many people using so i want a secure grow anyways three questions left.
    1.what kind of cfl's for one plant i want to spend less then 100$?

2.when should i add nutes and how much,what to measure with/

3.what are some good strains under 3 ft.

4. you could definitely grow something there. just don't let them grow too much, my first time I started off 6 plants in a very similar set up I didn't really know how big they could get and how fast they could grow. they got out of control and grew up to 6 feet tall so they had to be moved to an actual room. you could try some LST or some scrog. HPS is always better if you can get the heat out other every 7-10 min. I dont know anything about soil only hydro. good luck

5. Your point is valid, but this is even a contest. HID lights are hands down the optimal choice in the optimal growing conditions.

That being said, with 3ft to grow I, an avid HID user and proponent, would go with CFLs.

Good luck.

6. #6 Shang99, Jan 27, 2010

I don't use cfl so no idea. I use HPS. This 400w setup High Tech Garden Supply is what I use for now.

I did not start using nutes yet on my first grow. I was told the soil was enough for them. I will be using nutes when they flower though. I will be using half or less? then it recommends at start. Just follow the directions and cut back accordingly.

You could probably use the majority of indica strains. Just LST or ScroG. There is plenty of guides on these forums.

7. #7 Shang99, Jan 27, 2010
    I agree with you. I prefer my HPS setup any day. I was just thinking of his space issue. If i could get away with using HPS I would def. do it.

btw i also would listen to mad4reef I have take his advice myself plenty of times. As well as Chickadie. She has been a life saver.

8. ok so i think i still have questions if i was to buy one of these
    High Tech Garden Supply

which one would i need for two plants or one.
    also would white widow be a good choice

9. I would go for the 250 for 2 plants.

As for the strain, no comment. Never grown it.

Good luck.

10. #10 RWK Nova, Jan 27, 2010
    Ok well im thinking about going for the
    High Tech Garden Supply

do i need anything extra for this light like a fan because I cant get a fan i dont want it too have any noise because this is a stealth grow.

11. You will need a fan for a 3' grow.

If you are growing stealth your best bet is CFLs.

Good luck.

12. YOYO. Hey RWK i grew in a 3 foot cab too. Def go with cfls if this is your first time, then make sure you get the right color for them ( they are measured in kelvins 2700k is for flowering 5500k is for veging) and your gonna want to get 100watts for the first plant and 50 additional watts for each plant after that. Anything less then that and your gonna be getting dark spots in your garden and losing a lot of bud size.

for soil if your trying to save money just get an organic potting soil and add some perlite. you can just use some cheap ferts too and you will save a lot of money.

also your def. gonna need a fan and damn good ventilation. You want a fan that can russle a small house plant. so you might need to do some fan hunting. fan is REALLY really important to have!

also remember to get a timer

then if you still got money left i suggest a thermometer and humidty checker. they are very usefull.

As far as strains, Northern lights grows fast and is really easy. just make sure to train it and you can keep it pretty short. Nightshade grows pretty small but its a lot harder to deal with it cuz its picky.

Hope this helps

13. #13 RWK Nova, Jan 27, 2010
    will i need a fan for Cfl's is this a good deal
    6-CFLs 3 BLOOM & 3 GROW LIGHT BULBS Compact Fluorescent - eBay (item 270518134431 end time Jan-28-10 20:00:17 PST)

i am thinking about using 6 for one plant and two computer 6 multi plugs for the 6 cfl's and put them on opposite sides of the plant
    and im gonna buy some mylar for the walls
    REFLECTIVE MYLAR 4' x 50' roll hydroponics 2 mil BETTER - eBay (item 390114235104 end time Feb-01-10 16:31:01 PST)

and using bulb converters for the plugs then im gonna buy some pots,soil,and nutes maybe and use bagseed for the first time with LST.

does that setup sound bad.

14. Im trying to do a 2 plant grow ( if those damn seeds ever germinate)

I got 4 light fixtures (that can have the reflective shield taken off (since cfls work better on side of coil) 2 2700k and 2 6500k lights , soil, pots and everything but nutes and ive only spent like 50 bucks

15. Just leave them soaked and leave for 48 hours come back and tada

16. Hydrofarm - Hydrofarm FLT24 Commercial T5 2FT 4 Tube Fixture

Thats what I use, I purchased mine for 45 bucks from a hydro store near me, and Im sure if you checked around you could find one for about the same price. I think its worked awesome. Theyve also got a lot of other products, but I was going low price. It was easy to setup in my little grow closet, and theyre low on my electricity bill and dont produce too much heat. Plus theyve given my little plant as much light as its needed so far.

17. Ya just make sure to try and get the side of the CFL bulb pointed at the plant. also be very selective on the soil you choose. try not to get stuff with time released ferts in it ( aka miracle grow and shultz) if you get stuck they are fine but they do present some annoying problems when using them. i suggest buying some organic potting soil and some perlite. then you cna throw some blood meal in that for your nitrogen fert, be warry of chemical ferts tho, ive burned my plants pretty bad using them.

18. Yes organic soil the soil i just tested out for like a little fun thing was bad and it nearly after one day killed the plant.