Maximizing my space

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by apoptosis, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Hello. I am a medical patient and caregiver. This is not my first grow but it would be the first time I've built a room. I want to build a room in the basement to flower 12 plants, SCROG under two 1000w HPS. I will probably only have enough money to buy one HPS to start and add a second one after a month or so. I am using soil for the first grow and DWC after that.

The framing is going to be difficult for me because the height is 7'
    More obstacles with framing include some heat ducts and water pipes in the way. I will have to frame around them and I'm a novice framer at best. Whats the best way around this? Any tips or links to framing around obstacles?

What size room should I build in order to maximize my quality of meds under 2000w?

2. I can't give you any help in terms of the size of the room, but as far as the framing itself is concerned, basic framing is very easy. My suggestion is to grab some graph paper and measure out the area you wish to frame. Graph that out and go along and take notes and measurements about where each of the obstacles you'll have to frame around is. The easiest way to build a wall is to frame it out flat and then raise it up (and it's much easier with more than one person).

Once you've built the basic framed wall (which essentially consists of a base plate, vertical studs and a top plate), you'll go along your top plate and cut out notches for everything between the studs (try to make sure you space your studs to avoid these obstacles) - normal stud spacing is 16" or 24" on center. These are non-load bearing walls so it really isn't that big of a deal, but keeping it to code is always best. You'll want to take the spots where you notched out for your obstacles and cut horizontal 2x4's to go under them to brace the studs since you would be cutting the top plate.

After that you just raise the wall up and tack it to whatever pre-existing walls, floor and ceiling you happen to have. There are a lot of inexpensive, simple books at your local bookstore about basic framing and one of those might be helpful if you need a visual. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help.

• Like Like x 1