Math...

Discussion in 'General' started by iamgoober14, Jul 12, 2010.

1. I'm an engineer, so i'm required to take lots and lots of calculus, at first I was pretty upset about it, but now that i'm in calc 3, the shit just amazes me...we all sit here getting high and think of some crazy idea and think were the shit because we have an interesting hypothesis. i can't even imagine being the dude that discovered derivatives and integrals...smoking a bowl and discovering that shit, now that would be awesome

so, what's some cool shit about math that you've learned?

the thread with the psychic program is an example, think of any two digit number, add the two digits together, and subtract the sum from your original two digit number...then they show you all of these symbols above numbers 10-99, and it always guesses your symbol...the thing is, the same symbol is above every multiple of 9...whoever figured out that you get a multiple of 9 every time you do that...damn, props to that guy

and another thing, whoever discovered the wheel, yea that dudes pretty awesome, but imagine the days when nothing was discovered, it would be pretty easy to figure something out...these days, everything is already discovered..people dedicate their lives trying to find new elements, and most of them are man made and impossible to find in nature anyway...theres not much left to discover, i feel like someone is going to discover a whole new dimension or something and it's just going to open up a world of opportunities...it's gonna take some really special people to discover the future

2. Dude. I dropped out of HS basically in freshman year, so I missed ALOT of shit, but many people consider me smart... Whatever...

Anyway, I'm really into Astronomy and I'm aware that you need to know Trigonometry and Calculus.

But my question to you is this:

What field of math is it that uses the formulas? Like e=MC2?

I want to learn my formulas and what the greek letters stand for (as far as numerics).

You know what I'm talking about, right? :eek:

3. Math- can answer all

also is mortal enemy of many haha

4. try explaining imaginary numbers. go ahead, try.

5. is one hell of a drug...oh wait A not E lol...

6. e=MC^2 is a physics equation. It means 1 gram of matter times the speed of light squared is how much energy in joules it is.

greek letters you learn the equations that go along with it

7. Ok, cool - so it's physics that uses those formulas with the Greek symbols. I have a lot of physics e-books, but I wish I could just find a cheat sheet that has all of the symbols and what they stand for. Google, here I come! :hello:

8. Physics is not the only subject that utilizes Greek letters. Chemistry, physics, mathematics... basically the sciences and maths.

Damn man. You learn pretty (necessary) general things in high school. College is where the real learning comes in though.

9. An imaginary number is part of Complex number.

Next question? :D

Oh, Fun maths fact: In electonics we Use the symbol "j" for imaginary numbers, so it doesnt clash with our use of "i" as an instantanous value of Current ;)

10. I'm down with that sacred geometry, it's the math of all creation sonnnnny

11. You're wearing white gloves while doing math, aren't you :eek:

12. I've been doing math homework since 6:30pm and didn't finish one section (it was due at midnight). Fuck math. Excuse me while I go violently bash my head against the wall.

13. and a complex number is?

seriously, this shit is just algebra and it's still completely over my head.

14. Calcs.jpg
    My TI-84, and Sharp EL-531 ​

What are some of your most loved Math weapons? :cool:

(I actually prefer my Sharp, but the TI-84 has a couple of advatages if I'm going to be lazy)​

15. #16 Turin, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
    I had a TI-84.... But someone spilled mango juice on it :p.

16. i know, but can you really explain what it is? because its impossible, its the square root of a negative number. it doesnt make sense. yet its used to explain complex mathematics. sir issac newton was a crazy man with lead poisoning, what if he created calculus all on some lead induced mind explosion and he was just randomly writing down symbols and numbers because he was losing his mind?

i think its possible.

17. dude! same, except you put me in front of a math problem and I like "fuuck!" but I can write an essay like mofucker!

18. #19 Joe Luxon, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010

A complex number is is something that is expressed as "a + jb", where "a" and "b" are real numbers, and "j" = the square root of -1 ( "j"or "i" depending on what type of maths your doing; I'm going to refer to it as "j", becuase my training is in electronics)

Complex numbers are needed to find solutions for problems like X squared = -1. Becuase there is no real number for the square of -1. This type of problem used to be unsolvable in Early maths untill the 16th cetury when some dudes come up with a new way of solving Square roots for negative numbers.

Complex numbers can be drawn on a plane, just like real numbers, but the imaginary part can only be drawn on the x axis.
    If you think of the complex number on a plane as a vector from 0,0 to that point, then you can start adding complex numbers using normal vector addition.

I'm not going to describe Polar and rectangular notion as ways of adding/subtracting, and multiplying/deviding complex numbers, becuase i need a whiteboard for that.

EDIT; J= Square root of -1

19. Well, I have ADD, so I basically learn the best when I teach myself - or rather learn at my own pace in my own environment. :( Fucking sucks. I wish I could be more like others in this case.

But I think I've done well with learning shit. Just some gaps. That's the hardest part sometimes: Learning where the gaps end and begin...