Mass Exodus By Lbgt People From Tel Aviv

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trippers, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Tel Aviv is widely known as the gay capital of the Middle East. The city's annual Gay Pride Parade, which drew more than 100,000 participants this year, has been growing for 16 years. A lot of legal progress favouring the LGBTQ community has also been made. Despite this, the country's gay-friendly image is being challenged by two researchers who argue that economic, political and social problems, as well as homophobia, are driving LGBTQ Israelis to seek life abroad.

http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/201406170004-0023844

2. Maybe they should do the gay parade in Iran or Gaza ?
    What do you say ?

Sent from Israel, the land of the jews.

3. Let the fallacies begin!

4. How about here in the West where religious fanatics don't rule the roost ?

Israel, Iran, Saudi, Palestine... Different God, same bullshit...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. #5 Sam_Spade, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2014
    Given the history of the region, I can see why individuals would be tempted to become expatriats elsewhere.

A good colleague of mine works in Tel Aviv,  and has experienced these deeply contradicting attitudes first hand. If the United States can change so much in 20 years, then I still have optimism for social change elsewhere.

I still really have a hard time wrapping my head around the personal lived reality of what it must be like to feel ostracized by your own community just because of the person you love. My heart goes out to anybody struggling with that, anywhere in the world.

6. Answer this, in which country you have an annual gay parade?

1. Iran
    2. Israel
    3. Saudi
    4. Palestine

?

7. Ah, another red herring! They are delicious on crackers.

8. Have any of you guys ever actually been to Israel who talk about these Israelis like they think they're some chosen holy people. I'm not gonna say that they aren't cocky cause they are to a certain extent. What they aren't is religious extremists. Most of the people, especially younger people are very secular. Assuming the whole country is full of extreme religious fanatics is so far from the truth it's not even funny. But go on believing whatever it is that you want to. There's homophobia but not because of their religion. Let's not pretend like America is some perfect land where we al hold hands with gay people and sing kumbaya.

9. #9 SmokinP, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
    Iran and Palestine are also full of young people who share the same aspirations and dreams as we do here in the West. They are progressive in their thinking and attitudes...

Saudi however is a different kettle of fish...

I see no difference between Palestine, Iran or Israel. They all have religious dogma at their core...

As regards travelling to Israel, I would happily do so when they lift the siege and occupation that is being inflicted upon the Palestinian people. I have been to the Lebanon on a couple of occasions and loved it...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. Then you are blind.
    Can you answer my post above ?

11. Check out the award-winning documentary "God Loves Uganda", if you want to see religious fanaticism against gay people. . 

12. cause you know, 2 wrongs make a right

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. I don't think this was meant to be an anti Israel thread. No need to get defensive.

If you would like to discuss how gay people are treated in Gaza or Iran, not a problem. But start your own thread instead of using Hasbara tactics in this thread. 

Thank you.

15. How pathetic...
    Well, can you say what is your point in this thread ?

Oh the irony is killing me. Hes the one that made the thread. Its his topic and its about a current event. Spin it how you want.

the point is to discuss the article.. which none of your posts accomplish.

18. lol Tom.... anyway.

LBGTQ?

What is the Q? That is a new one for me.

19. I was wondering the same thing.

20. #20 Tripace, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014

As was I, so I googled it, and it said questioning, as in those that question their sexuality... but wouldn't that technically be the same as being bi? IDK...