Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Mason jars

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by dendanskesimon, Jan 14, 2010.

1. just got a few and they seem to be good for holding about a half O. My question is how to close em though. Do I just press down on the flat lid in the middle while screwing the ring on? It seems like they need heat to create a vacuum or something because I can press the center and it will move in a little and then pop back out.

2. [​IMG]

get one

3. I've been asking the question for a while now and reading other threads and everybody came to the consensus that mason jars were best so I just spent nine bucks on them. I'm not trying to buy plastic bags now. I just wanna now if I'm closing the shit right.

4. yea you're good

5. believe me, im a master and those shits break so easily, the end of your buds not even if the stem is pointy they WILL break. Mason jars are definantly your best bet, put your finger on the top and if you can push it in & out like suction feel then its airtight.

6. It's not that the mason jars create a vaccum. They're actually just tight so nothing gets out or in

7. i said a vaccume-in-&-out-suction-feel when you press the top in & out

8. The vacuum seal thing on Mason Jars - the little thing in the center of lid that pops down - are for people who use mason jars for canning fruits and vegetables or making jams or jellies.

They put the mason jar in a pot of boiling water, give it a few minutes to heat up, then pour in their hot concoction, put the lid on, then take it out of the heat.

When it cools, the stuff inside shrinks slightly and pulls the lid down tight, pops that little thing in the center of lid down.

That way they know they have a good seal, because if they don't have a good seal the thing in the middle won't stay popped down.

And if the food inside starts to rot or go bad, it will release gases which with make the thing in the middle pop back up.

So much later, when they go to open up that stuff they canned previously, they can check the little pop up thing to make sure that it is still down. If it is, they know the lid has not been leaking or that the stuff inside has no started to go bad.

If you are planning to store pot long term in it, it might not hurt to put the jar in a pot of boiling water and put your stuff in there, seal it while it's hot. I doubt the 200 degrees that it will be briefly will negatively effect the quality of the pot, and it'll make sure you got a good seal on the jar.

But probably pointless if you are just storing it short term or keeping the stash you are currently working on in the jar.

9. Yeah mason jars are the best way to go without a doubt. Keeps your bud fresh for months and are durable as hell, i have dropped mine about 4 or 5 times on solid floor and it has not shattered yet.:hello:

10. Thanks for the help. I've got five filled up and I'm trying to keep the smell down so I can finally keep big quantities