Masking the smell of growing plants

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by dojablazer420, Jul 13, 2009.

1. I have a couple train wreck plants growing in my closet and was wondering if anyone knew a good technique so my neighbors don't smell it. (i live in an apt.) They are about a foot tall and are starting to smell pretty strong in the closet already. thanks in advance....ps, I don't really have a window in range to vent it out but I do have the attic access right in the ceiling of my closet. :smoke:

2. Doja,
    If they are a foot tall and you think they smell strong already, you're in for a very big surprise because that smell is nothing compared to what you will have on your hands in about 5 weeks or so. If you rub a stem and smell your finger.... thats what the whole room will smell like by that time. I live in a half house and keep my odor down by using air purifiers outside my room and a couple cups of vinegar in my grow room. I also have a few lysol automatic sprayers at a few key spots in my basement. If it gets out of hand, I hate to say it, but you need to end the process. I would hate to have someone get busted when I could have warned them, so I am doing so. Good Luck and Happy Growing :D

3. Carbon filters are always best bet for odor control. However, ONA blocks also work well by neutralizing odor rather than just masking it. You can also search around and find some pretty clever DIY rigs for odor control, one guy used a 5 gallon bucket with ONA gel, water, an air stone and a fan to deal with odor. My favorite solution though has to be one I saw posted the other day where a guy took a $15 circulating fountain like one of the small desktop meditation fountains you'd get at Walmart, and filled it with Pinesol. He said it actually worked pretty good.

4. dojablazer420,
    Are the apartments connected? Look up inside the attic and see if it allows access to the area above your neighbors unit if it does you probably will no want to do this. I once purchased 4" round PVC in 10ft lengths that I ran across the attic to the soft fit vents at the eves I connected the pvc to an elbow fitting and a shorter length of PVC and covered the run up with the insulation already there and hooked up a 4" blower fan worked perfect nobody knew. Some other things I have used are time mist dispensers with ozium cartridges an ionizer, nag champa, patchouli oil-this is a little hippy but it is a very overpowering smell and masks marry easily. I might also recommend building a box cabinet that you can keep closer to a window or bugging your unit and if you ever hear them talking about it get rid of the kids. Im kidding about the last one recording individuals conversations without the consent of all parties conversing is a federal crime exempt of course is the federal government and all associated agencies.

Respectfully
    dynosow-er :smoke: " It takes more then a ladder to get me down "

5. Anything with a pine scent...my wife would complain about the odor coming up from the basement(Hindu Kush,Orange Crush) so I went and got a couple of pine scented candles and they mask the smell very well...

6. thanks guys!!!

7. Don't bother trying to COVER the smell. Which is what most of these ideas do. There will always been someone with a sensitive nose that can pick it out.

Use a carbon filter, and only a carbon filter to REMOVE the smell from the air. Nice ones can be expensive. But the webs flooded with DIY tutorials that are less than $20. Remember you need a fan connected to it pushing the air through for it to be effective.

8. place mothballs around your doors windows and vents and i guarantee that the only thing ur neighbors will smell ar ethose.

9. This thread was dead 6 months ago. Why respond to it now? Oh wellz.

10. maybe someone will google search and find an answer that helps :p