Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Blotter420, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Baguazhang
    aikido
    WingChun
    Tai-Chi

I do 4o_O

• Like Like x 3
  2. I used to do Taekwondo. I had to quit because my family couldn't afford it ;_;

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hey, me too!

Got to red belt w/ black stripe and stayed too poor to get that official black belt.

Won numerous gold medals anyhow.
    :jump:

4. #4 Dizzy, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    My oldest daughter Kyra is in Martial arts classes too.

~Toni~

5. I got up to blue belt 2 red stripes. I was pretty good at sparring but I'm not overly fond of fighting. People think I'm a pussy sometimes because of it but that's their problem.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. I did tae kwon do as a child.

Wrestled and did jiu jitsu in my teens and 20s.

would love to learn muai Thai boxing and krav maga.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. What style of aikido do you practice? I know of 7, what is yours called?

8. Yeah, I don't fucking know :icgreen:

9. What do you mean?

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

10. Kyokushin, and add in some Iron Body Kung Fu for fun.
    Mas Oyama.. Originated Kyokushin and is regarded by most to be the greats Martial Srtist of all time. He did a 100 Man Kumite.. 3 days in a Row, and wanted to go 4, but NOBODY wanted to go on.

Don Buck.. Mas Oyams Prize Student
    Mike Dayton.... Don Bucks Prize Student, and 8th Dan Tae Kwan Do, Iron Body Kun Fu Practitioner, 8th Dan Judo.

Mike Dayton was also 1976 IFBB Mr America, and won the Wrist Roller competition on Worlds Strongest Man in 1979. Also fought Inoki who was Undefeated World Heavyweight Full Contact Champ from Japan, and in Daytons ONLY Pro fight, fought him to a Draw, while giving up 85lbs, and 8 - 10 inches in height. Not to mention... GLOVES. Dayton is a Bare Fist conditioned fighter, and if allowed to use his fingers, can tear the skin COMPLETELY OFF OF THE BONE. HE CAN TEAR A DECK OF CARDS INTO 8TH FOR HEAVENS SAKES, OR BEND ANY US MINTED COIN, TEAR 3 LICENSE PLATES IN HALF, AND ALOT MORE, AND IS CONSIDERED TO HAVE THE STRONGEST FINGERS EVER.

CAn also survive a REGULATION HANGING, and then GET OUT OF A STRAIGHT JACKET, WHILE DANGLING AT THE END OF THE ROPE. Though at around 70, he doesn't do these stunts anymore.

Mike is also #2 in the Backlift of 5960lbs. Paul Anderson at 350lbs, and considered the strongest man to ever live and set the record in the 60s at 6200lbs. Mike also gave up 135lbs in bodyweight.
    Paul Anderson also beat the RUSSIANS in the 1956 Olympics in Weightlifting, and is the ONLY American to ever win a Gold Medal in Heavyweight Oly Lifting. HE also set a record at the 56 Olys of 400lbs Clean, and Press. This lift was done away with in the 60 Olympics.

Mas Oyama - Kyokushin Karate Master
    [​IMG]

Sosai ‘head of organization’ Mas Oyama the founder of the world renowned 'hard' Karate style of Kyokushinkai was born in the town of Gimje in western South Korea in the year 1923.

His family heritage was 'Yangban' the traditional Korean ruling classes.

Very early in his life - during the Japanese occupation of his country he was sent to rural Manchuria (China) to live with his sister. It was there at the age of 9 that he first trained in martial arts with, as the story goes, farm workers.

Japanese Karate had been established for less than 2 decades when Mas Oyama came to live with his brother in Japan in 1936. What we know today as Karate styles were just beginning to emerge from the original forms introduced from Okinawa.

[​IMG]
    Finding The Essence

In the 1940’s Oyama joined the dojo of Shotokan Karate master Gichin Funakoshi and his son Yoshitaka (Gigo) at Takushoku University. He also trained in Goju Ryu Karate achieving Dan ranks in both styles.

Having trained in the big schools of Japanese Karate, he set off on a one-man mission to find the essence of the art for himself. Still in his early twenties he twice went alone to remote places to live and train.

The intensity of training undertaken by Mas Oyama during his solitude could be dismissed as far fetched Karate stories but before long the world would see proof!

After years as a recluse, the skills he gained from the hardship of living alone were put to the test.

Returning to Civilization

[​IMG]

Oyama soon gained a reputation as a man with incredible ability - and no wonder. He was prepared to exhibit the strength of his technique and accept any kind of challenge.

He gave many public demonstrations across Japan showing two finger push-ups, smashing rocks with his bare hands and breaking the tops off bottles with his Karate chop.

His fights with live bulls are the feats he is most famous for. He had around 50 encounters with bulls many of which were photographed and filmed. Some of the beasts died instantly at his hands. Many had their horns chopped off or ripped from their head.

Oyama toured the United States in the early 1950’s. There he built a loyal following by repeating these feats and taking no-holds barred challenges.

[​IMG]

Birth of the Kyokushinkai
    [​IMG]
    Back in Japan Oyama established his first Karate Dojo in 1953. Later in 1956 the dojo moved to a permanent location and the following year it officially opened as the Kyokushinkai which translates as the “Home of Ultimate Truth”.

Kyokushinkai Karateka find the essence of their art through the intense training and testing pioneered by the founder Mas Oyama. The incredible 100 Man Kumite test unique to this style shows that Kyokushinkai is always on the line ready to prove itself.

Oyama himself completed a 300 Man Kumite Test in what surely must be one of the most impressive feats of physical endurance ever undertaken by a human being. To date no-one has come close to repeating this.

Mas Oyama documented his work in writing. The highly influential books “What is Karate?” first published in 1958, and the follow up “This is Karate” are among the finest visual records of Karate-do. They are as inspirational today as the day they were released.

By 1970 Kyokushinkai had a presence in many countries. Since 1975 the Kyokushin World Knockdown Tournament a true open weight full contact event - has been held every 4 years. Today with millions of registered students around the world Kyokushin is a Karate style able to bridge the divide between the traditional and the progressive. Read More About Kyokushinkai Karate Here

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama 10th Dan died in 1994 of lung cancer - he was a pioneer budoka, showman and author.

His name is mentioned anytime Japanese Karate is discussed in earnest. A movie based on the life of Mas Oyama was made in 1975 starring Sonny Chiba. His legacy to the world is a Karate style that is without peer - Kyokushinkai - The Strongest Karate!

Mas Oyama At a Glance...
    1923 - Born Choi Yeong Eui at Gimje Korea

1936 - Moves to Japan

1938 - Starts training in Karate styles Goju Ryu and Shotokan

1946 - Embarks on Solitary Mountain Training

1950 - Demonstrates Extreme Feats of Karate in Japan

1952 - Travels to USA to exhibit and take Challenges

1956 - Establishes 1st Full Time ‘Oyama Karate’ Dojo

1957 - Style Officially named Kyokushinkai

1958 - Publishes First Book “What is Karate?”

1965 - 1st Non Japanese Completes the 100 Man Kumite Challenge

1973 - Publishes “This is Karate?”

1975 - Holds 1st World Open Knockdown Tournament

1990 - World Kyokushinkai Memberships surpass 10 Million

1994 - Passes Away aged 70

Here is a more recent member of the 100-man Kumite club, Sensei Judd Reid. It’s a trailer of Reid Sensei’s documentary on the 100-man Kumite, which he completed on October 22nd, 2011. It will show his preparation and his fights that were completed under the auspicies of the WKO (World Kumite Organization).

Reid Sensei is the WKO Heavyweight Champion and was the first foreigner to have completed the 1000-day Uchideshi program at the Kyokushin Karate headquarters under Sosai Mas Oyama.

[​IMG]

By simplifying his goals, Oyama was able to spend his time focused on honing his best weapon, which was his striking power. If Oyama punched you, you would have an injury whether you blocked or not. That was the goal of his training. It was this simple goal that allowed Oyama to end many of his kumites in mere seconds with one strike.

When in training, it is best to simplify. There will be new fitness programs every year as long as profit can be made, but unless these programs focus on the simple fundamentals of strength, they won’t give you the results you need. There were nearly as many fitness programs during the era of old-time strongmen, but they developed incredible strength nevertheless. Oyama had the most basic of equipment when on the mountain – he had nature. You don’t need complicated equipment or training to advance yourself. You just need intensity and commitment. You need to build yourself up in body, mind, and spirit. That way, even on your worst training days, you can perform like the best.

[​IMG]
    When war broke out in 1941 Don Buck attempted to join the service, but he was too young. When he turned 16, in 1942, he went into the Navy. In boot camp he was first in all the physical tests the recruits had to take. His favorite test was the Obstacle course. He always finished high on IQ Tests as well, so he was slated to join the commandos. He went to the Admiralty Islands where they trained hand to hand. The training was really rough. Often at night he remembers the Japanese calling his name and the names of his buddy’s when they were on guard.

In the islands Don boxed for the fleet at 137 LB’s. He had over 70 bouts and he lost only one. Later he came back and beat the one opponent he had not defeated. This opponent was an out of shape pro boxer and he told Don to get out of boxing while he still had his wits, there is no money in it. Don took his advice and began looking to learn more in the martial arts.

In 1946, Don was honorably discharged from the Navy and returned to San Francisco where he began weight training and powerlifting. He was Mr. California in the 1950’s. It was there that he found Duke Moore’s judo and jujitsu school. He told Duke he knew judo and self-defense. Duke showed him a different side of judo and jujitsu. While in San Francisco, Don also studied hung gar kung fu under Y.C. Wong and t’ai-chi-ch’uan with Siufan Chan in Shanghai.

Don met Mas Oyama in the mid 1950’s. Don Buck was one of the first non-orientals to instruct the Kyokushinkai style of Karate and he received his 4th Dan on September 8, 1960. One of the first requirements for Black Belt required Don to do the 100 man kumite. Not to just fight 100 men but he had to win 100 matches. Which he did. Mas Oyama would take Don to different dojos and do challenge matches. Some of the workouts were 4 to 6 hours long and very physical, but that was exactly what Don liked. Mas Oyama and Don would be sparring and, as Oyama would say, “you do not hit hard enough,” and Don would blast him and say with a laugh, “how was that,” and Mas Oyama would say “Osu”! This was their fun.[​IMG]

Don Buck’s first school opened as Oyama’s Karate in 1957. It was the first Kyokushin Dojo opened in the Continental United States. Years later he changed the dojo name to the School of the Tiger. Don Buck opened many schools in the years that followed. His schools were opened mainly on military bases all over the San Francisco bay area. He wanted military people and their families to be able to train.

Don also founded the American Kyokushin Karate Organization (AKKO).

Don Buck worked as a San Francisco police officer, often working the dock on a paddy wagon.

[​IMG]
    When war broke out in 1941 Don Buck attempted to join the service, but he was too young. When he turned 16, in 1942, he went into the Navy. In boot camp he was first in all the physical tests the recruits had to take. His favorite test was the Obstacle course. He always finished high on IQ Tests as well, so he was slated to join the commandos. He went to the Admiralty Islands where they trained hand to hand. The training was really rough. Often at night he remembers the Japanese calling his name and the names of his buddy’s when they were on guard.

In the islands Don boxed for the fleet at 137 LB’s. He had over 70 bouts and he lost only one. Later he came back and beat the one opponent he had not defeated. This opponent was an out of shape pro boxer and he told Don to get out of boxing while he still had his wits, there is no money in it. Don took his advice and began looking to learn more in the martial arts.

In 1946, Don was honorably discharged from the Navy and returned to San Francisco where he began weight training and powerlifting. He was Mr. California in the 1950’s. It was there that he found Duke Moore’s judo and jujitsu school. He told Duke he knew judo and self-defense. Duke showed him a different side of judo and jujitsu. While in San Francisco, Don also studied hung gar kung fu under Y.C. Wong and t’ai-chi-ch’uan with Siufan Chan in Shanghai.

Don met Mas Oyama in the mid 1950’s. Don Buck was one of the first non-orientals to instruct the Kyokushinkai style of Karate and he received his 4th Dan on September 8, 1960. One of the first requirements for Black Belt required Don to do the 100 man kumite. Not to just fight 100 men but he had to win 100 matches. Which he did. Mas Oyama would take Don to different dojos and do challenge matches. Some of the workouts were 4 to 6 hours long and very physical, but that was exactly what Don liked. Mas Oyama and Don would be sparring and, as Oyama would say, “you do not hit hard enough,” and Don would blast him and say with a laugh, “how was that,” and Mas Oyama would say “Osu”! This was their fun.[​IMG]

Don Buck’s first school opened as Oyama’s Karate in 1957. It was the first Kyokushin Dojo opened in the Continental United States. Years later he changed the dojo name to the School of the Tiger. Don Buck opened many schools in the years that followed. His schools were opened mainly on military bases all over the San Francisco bay area. He wanted military people and their families to be able to train.

Don also founded the American Kyokushin Karate Organization (AKKO).

Don Buck worked as a San Francisco police officer, often working the dock on a paddy wagon.

Don Bucks most well known student is Mike Dayton.[​IMG]

Don Buck was born on September 2, 1926 in San Jose, California. He passed away September 11, 1998 in his home in Benicia, California with his son Fred and wife Alice at his side.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Mike Dayton.
    Don Bucks prize student.

Ch'I Gong Kung Fu Master, Iron Body Practitioner, 8th Dan Tae Kwan Do, 8th Dan Judo, 4th Dan Kyokushin.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. where did you get that info wikipedia

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Personal research?

14. #15 jimihendrix42, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Ive known who these guys are for over 40 years, and met Mike in 1982.
    Mike also used to tour with the Chinese Circus, and on Wide World of Sports around 1980. 1 of the feats Mike would perform was to let 300lbs, 6 feet 8 inch Inoki, who Mike fought to a Draw for the Heavyweight Full Contact World Championship in Japan hit him in the chest with a 21lbs Mall, and it would bounce off of Mikes chest. And this was no trick, as Inoki split a huge log with 1 hit to prove the Mall was real.
    He also let Inoki break a Bow Staff on his THROAT, Knees, Back. Took 2 hits to break in on his back.
    I used to do powerlifting, and bodybuilding, so I know who Mike Dayton is, and have known who mike is since 1978, and after then researching Mike Dayton in the 70s, Mas Oyama, and Don Buck were very important to Mikes past.
    Then in 79 I started messing with Martial Arts i practiced Iron Body Kung fu, and Kyokushin for 6 years.

The main reason nobody knows who Mike Dayton is, is because he said he wouldn never exploit Martial Arts for money, so he never did any big promotions ect. He had a strength show he did, and sold books, but would never exploit his craft for a sellout/money.

Probably the most famous Successful Kyokushin Practitioner is Georges St-Pierre

As a child he played hockey, skated and participated in several sports. He began learning Kyokushin karate at age seven from his father and later from a Kyokushin Karate Master to defend himself against a school bully.[23] He took up wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and boxing after his karate teacher died when he was around 16 years old. Before turning pro as a mixed martial artist, St-Pierre worked as a bouncer at a Montreal night club in the South Shore called Fuzzy Brossard and as a garbageman for six months to pay for his school fees.[24] Turning pro at age of 21 he had a black belt in Kyokushin already.

15. Does anyone here do on a routine basis? And type? Just started Jiu-jitsu a short time ago. Trying to figure out how to incorporate some karate or some striking form as well. Things sometimes get a little shady at night at the ER lately.. also using to try and help get in shape

16. My Oldest Daughter Kyra Just Recently Got Her Black Belt In Taekwondo :D Me An Her Dad Both Really Proud Of Her,

~Toni~

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. Any body know the 5 form of animal the bear tiger deer bird ape qi gong ??
    Are they any good ??

18. karate, yellow belt

19. Taekwondo here.

• Winner Winner x 1