Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by snakeyG, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Sup GC,

Was looking through some threads the other day and met a guy that did MMA and was wondering if any others on GC did any martial arts or would like to start so I made this thread. Just post anything and everything about martial arts and if you fight competitivley you could post your weightclass/height/fighting style/etc? And as were on a marijuana site, do you smoke before training because I know I do before every strength and condition session :smoking:

2. Muay Thai here. 6'2 190. I smoke after I train not before

3. Nice, I did a six week muay thai course to help my stand up and the knees and elbows are brutal.

4. I've been doing some MMA training for about 10 months now.

I try to train twice a day.
    And I only smoke after training.

5. brazilian jiu jitsu and a little boxing. i dont train "mma" cause that is not a martial art its a sport lol
    maybe ill compete in it tho, all the mma gyms around here are bs tho so i train at a jiu jitsu school only

6. I meant train to fight in mma competitions, I train bjj aswell, a little boxing, muay thai, judo when I was younger and kickboxing.

7. No need to be a smart arse bout it yano wot I ment!!!

8. i practice jiu jitsu, boxing, muay thai, sambo, and judo.
    my amateur mma record is 8-3
    6'0 i fight at lightweight

9. Started MMA before few weeks.
    I dont smoke anymore.
    5'8
    150 pounds

10. Bjj is fantastic. If you're just trying to get in shape, lots of mma gyms offer fitness classes, which can be quite a bit cheaper. But being in the environment can keep you motivated, and when you earn enough, you can pick up more expensive classes (like bjj, which tends to be close to $100/mo). Of course, idk your situation, just throwing it out there.

Here are a couple recent videos illustrating a fitness endeavor my buddy has recently taken.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prWLtaymtM8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-ksw8wSza8[/ame]

11. You're friend looks like he is enjoying it, I say just keep training and work on perfect technique and you will be in fighting shape in no time. I can see from his build that he will be a good fighter.

12. I've trained in Hawaiian Kempo Karate 10 years now. Hawaiian Kemp, like most karate is based on an older Japanese form but is very useful in MMA. There are a few schools that use it in Emma training but I was at a more formal school. I have received a black belt but still have never been in a fight :). Lucky I guess but some day I would like to actually see what I can do.

I have also done a bit of aikido recently and have been taking Capoeira classes. Capoeira is super dope. Especially when high. I don't like going to the dojo high but I do spar against my friends after toking.

13. I did MMA but due to a lot of life things I had to stop. I'm hoping to hit the mats again in the summer. I love doing the BJJ.

14. I have always wanted to martial arts!

15. Sadly there is no real kempo in Hawaiian kempo, more like the formation of an art based on low level black belts thinking they know their stuff and add their own ideas. I too studied the same amount of time as you.

Basically James Mitose attended several martial art schools in Japan including kempo kung fu and karate schools. No one wanted to teach him because of his reputation for being involved in organized crime in Hawaii. He then moved back to Hawaii where he taught martial arts he learned as one system and worked for organized crime. He gave out only a handful of black belts. Pinions come from a karate system made for teaching in middle and high school. Katas come from a karate/kempo mixed school in Japan. Kempos are the only traditional part the 108 of them originated from just 16. Which were self defense applications to a traditional kempo form. Same goes for combinations except they were from a shaolin Kung fu form except they were added by William Chow, who later became a master of northern style Mantis Kung fu.

Fred villary further shit on Kempo by leaving his school at a low level black belt causin g a loss of several forms( he learned 5 katas and copy 6th kata from another student) and key training techniques which is why "shaolin kempo karate" looks the way it does. All 10th degrees in Hawaiian kempo are self proclaimed, with the last actual degree earned being 8th. No one knows all 108 moves either.

I switched to Lohan style Kung fu. It's nice to learn techniques which aren't questioned nor to hear " I added something" or "apparently the original form" or my most despised" I removed that from the system because I didn't think it was possible"

It's a great beginner style where you can learn a little bit of everything, but after 2nd degree black your just learning what someone else made up and added with in the past 50 years.

16. Ranked in kyokashin ...
    Some judo
    Some mu da quan (sp? Something one of my instructors showed me a tiny bit of on the side)
    Shodakan...several seminars including private lessons...
    Also several single seminars with instructors from several styles....
    my main teacher had excellent connections....
    Excellent old instructors who would come teach anytime as long as it didn't cost them a dime...they were not looking to profit...so we had many inexpensive seminars...

17. Oh yeah.....
    Not that i ever thought it mattered....
    But have i always smoked before and after....
    Of coarse i am more of an "all day smoker" anyway...

18. Karate, Wado Kai, and Gracie BJJ here. I've been training in karate since 6 years old, but I've branched off more now. My sensei is one of the first to open a school in my area, and opened Jong Park Taekwondo under Master Park. I don't compete much, I just love to learn, but I go to a lot of the local schools and train among people in different styles and arts so I can see how I'm progressing as a martial artist.

19. I'm a brown belt in judo... going on 13-14 years I think? I don't compete so I doubt I'll ever go for my black belt.

Around 10 years of muay thai, 5 of them in Thailand. 8 years of western boxing.

5 years of krabi krabong (double sword) and knife training also in Thailand.

5 years of BJJ.. blue belt but I don't train often as I am partial to judo.

Dabbled in Chinese gung fu, sanda, capoeira, lethwei (Burmese boxing), TKD, trick fighting/choreography.. depends on what country I'm in.

20. #20 ChucklesT, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
    Kyokashin? Shodakan? Really? At least spell them right. Know your arts guys. I find it hard to believe that people actually train in these styles if they don't even know the name.