Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana link with Stroke?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by s3kans, Apr 15, 2013.

1. ive been reading alot of stuff in the media about how marijuana has been linked to stroke in younger adults.
    does anyone have any insight or further information on the actual studies that have been conducted with cannabis and stroke?
    the study which has been blasted through the media is one that took place in New Zealand - where i live.
    im not sure that i can buy into this studies accuracy as New Zealand has the highest per-capacity cannabis use in the world.
    the study was also not able to separate cannabis smokers from tobacco smokers and nicotine was apparent in all but one of the people positively testing for cannabis as well.
    but it says later on that the scientist believe tobacco is not responsible for the strokes and is in-fact the marijuana - then why does my tobacco pouch tell me that smoking doubles my risk of stroke? think the government needs to get its story straight with that one.

so does anyone know of other studies or are you able to explain to me what processes or chemical compounds in cannabis would cause the damage that scientist are claiming?

side notes*
    i think this is a very serious issue for chronic smokers such as myself if its indeed correct that marijuana contributes to stroke.

i work with the elderly and particularly closely with those who have suffered strokes - not that i really know but as far as i can tell only one of the 100s of patients i have rehabbed after stroke has been a cannabis user previously in their life. and in actual fact i very rarely come across cigarette smokers either. so i find it hard to believe that the statics for smokers strokes can be so high - unless when smokers have strokes it kills them and thats why they never get to me?

any and all insights on this are appreciated.

2. Marijuana increases heart rate by 20–100 percent shortly after smoking; this effect can last up to 3 hours.
    In one study, it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug.
    This may be due to the increased heart rate as well as effects of marijuana on heart rhythms, causing palpitations and arrhythmias.

marijuana smoke contains 50–70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke and users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs’ exposure to carcinogenic smoke.
    Marijuana smokers show abnormal growth of epithelial cells in their lung tissue, which could lead to cancer.

there is strong association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation, and schizophrenia. High doses of marijuana can produce an acute psychotic reaction; in addition, use of the drug may trigger the onset or relapse of schizophrenia in vulnerable individuals.

With all that said, there have also been studies showing that marijuana may not increase the risk of lung cancer and plus, there hasn't really been reports of death caused by marijuana. I have looked into the media and research about your post and this is what i have come by:

160 stroke patients between the ages of 18 - 55 were studied against 160 control subjects who were admitted to the hospital for other medical reason.

Based on urine tests, 16% of the 160 stroke patients tested positive for marijuana, compared to 8.1% of the control subjects. However, of the 16% of stroke patients who tested positive for pot, "all but one" had also smoked cigarettes.

So with that information, to me (and what is my personal opinion) I do not think marijuana does increase the risk of a stroke, and this test that was done doesn't prove anything as basically all the patients that had a stroke and have used marijuana have also used cigarettes. If there is a chance of stroke caused by marijuana, i think it would be very slim but that is just my opinion. I hope I at least helped with your question at least a bit :p

3. thank you =]
    "marijuana smoke contains 50–70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke"
    do you know why that is? its curious to me with all the poisons and chemicals that are in todays cigarettes that cannabis smoke could be more damaging - is that just down to the filters on the cigarettes?

4. Yes, with that it is very strange. There may be more carcinogenic hydrocarbons (which causes cancer) in marijuana then there are in cigarettes, but dont think that that makes marijuana worse. There have been tests on lung cancer risks from people smoking marijuana compared to people who only smoke cigarettes and here is what i have found:

"While a clear increase in cancer risk was seen among cigarette smokers in the study, no such association was seen for regular cannabis users.
    Even very heavy, long-term marijuana users who had smoked more than 22,000 joints over a lifetime seemed to have no greater risk than infrequent marijuana users or nonusers".

So basically even though there are more carcinogenic hydrocarbons in marijuana compared to cigarettes, cigarettes are in fact still worse for you and do give you a greater risk of cancer.

5. I haven't looked into it too much, but my grandpa is like 60 something and he had a pretty bad stroke a year or two ago. He's been smoking since he was a kid, so I guess there's some credibility to it. I don't think it'd increase the chances of it, just an inevitability for a lot of people.

6. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzMwYV1chk]A Marijuana Bud A Day Keeps The Stroke Away - YouTube[/ame]

7. No that's government funded bullshit.

8. I know it's linked to seizures but I've never heard of heart attacks or strokes before. No matter how great pot is, there are people with certain health conditions that really shouldn't smoke. Just like sex is great and natural but with bad health it can be too much for the heart. Sex doesn't cause heart attacks. Poor health did. Just like I don't believe pot causes stokes, but it could aggravate an existing condition. Especially if you chose the wrong strains. Indica all the way baby!

9. From Granny's home List (what will be Granny's List July 2013 ;) ), the more recent studies on cannabinoids and stroke-

The CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor Mediates Excitotoxicity-induced Neural Progenitor Proliferation and Neurogenesis (full - 2007) The CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor Mediates Excitotoxicity-induced Neural Progenitor Proliferation and Neurogenesis

Cannabinoid CB2 receptor activation decreases cerebral infarction in a mouse focal ischemia/reperfusion model (full - 2007) Cannabinoid CB2 receptor activation decreases cerebral infarction in a mouse focal ischemia/reperfusion model

Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and AM 404 protect against cerebral ischaemia in gerbils through a mechanism involving cannabinoid and opioid receptors (full - 2007)
    Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and AM 404 protect against cerebral ischaemia in gerbils through a mechanism involving cannabinoid and opioid receptors

Delayed treatment with cannabidiol has a cerebroprotective action via a cannabinoid receptor-independent myeloperoxidase-inhibiting mechanism. (full - 2007)
    http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/118484119/HTMLSTART

Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (Delta(9)-THC) prevents cerebral infarction via hypothalamic-independent hypothermia. (abst - 2007)
    Unbound MEDLINE : Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Delta9-THC) prevents cerebral infarction via hypothalamic-independent hypothermi

The endocannabinoid system and neurogenesis in health and disease. (abst - 2007)
    The endocannabinoid system and neurogenesis i... [Neuroscientist. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Role of cannabinoids and endocannabinoids in cerebral ischemia (full - 2008)
    Role of cannabinoids and endocannabinoids in cerebral ischemia

Modulation of the balance between cannabinoid CB(1) and CB(2) receptor activation during cerebral ischemic/reperfusion injury (full - 2008) http://science.iowamedicalmarijuana.org/pdfs/neuro/Zhang 2008.pdf

Cannabinoid receptors in acute and chronic complications of atherosclerosis
    (full - 2008) Cannabinoid receptors in acute and chronic complications of atherosclerosis

Endocannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors in ischaemia–reperfusion injury and preconditioning (full - 2008) Endocannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors in ischaemia

Cannabidiol prevents a post-ischemic injury progressively induced by cerebral ischemia via a high-mobility group box1-inhibiting mechanism. (abst - 2008) Cannabidiol prevents a post-ischemic injur... [Neuropharmacology. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

Endocannabinoids mediate neuroprotection after transient focal cerebral ischemia.
    (abst – 2008) Endocannabinoids mediate neuroprotection after tra... [Brain Res. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

Modulation of cannabinoid receptor activation as a neuroprotective strategy for EAE and stroke. (full – 2009) Modulation of Cannabinoid Receptor Activation as a Neuroprotective Strategy for EAE and Stroke

Therapeutic time window of cannabidiol treatment on delayed ischemic damage via high-mobility group box1-inhibiting mechanism. (full – 2009) https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bpb/32/9/32_9_1538/_pdf

Post-ischemic brain damage: the endocannabinoid system in the mechanisms of neuronal death. (abst - 2009) Post-ischemic brain damage: the endocannabinoid syste... [FEBS J. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

CB2 receptor activation attenuates microcirculatory dysfunction during cerebral ischemic/reperfusion injury. (abst - 2009) CB2 receptor activation attenuates microcircul... [Microvasc Res. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Activation of cannabinoid 2 receptors protects against cerebral ischemia by inhibiting neutrophil recruitment. (full – 2010) Activation of cannabinoid 2 receptors protects against cerebral ischemia by inhibiting neutrophil recruitment

Therapeutic Potential of Non-Psychotropic Cannabidiol in Ischemic Stroke
    (link to PDF – 2010) Pharmaceuticals | Free Full-Text | Therapeutic Potential of Non-Psychotropic Cannabidiol in Ischemic Stroke

The Multiplicity of Action of Cannabinoids: Implications for Treating Neurodegeneration. (abst - 2010) The multiplicity of action of cannabinoids... [CNS Neurosci Ther. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

The cannabinoid WIN55212-2 promotes neural repair after neonatal hypoxia-ischemia. (abst - 2010) The cannabinoid WIN55212-2 promotes neural repair aft... [Stroke. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

The neuroprotective effect of cannabidiol in an in vitro model of newborn hypoxic-ischemic brain damage in mice is mediated by CB(2) and adenosine receptors.
    (abst – 2010) Unbound MEDLINE : The neuroprotective effect of cannabidiol in an in vitro model of newborn hypoxic-ischemic brain damage in mice is mediated by CB(2) and adenosine receptor

Targeting the Endocannabinod System to Limit Myocardial and Cerebral Ischemic and Reperfusion Injury. (abst – 2011)
    Unbound MEDLINE : Targeting the endocannabinod system to limit myocardial and cerebral ischemic and reperfusion injur

Cannabidiol reduces brain damage and improves functional recovery after acute hypoxia-ischemia in newborn pigs. (abst – 2011) Cannabidiol reduces brain damage and improves fu... [Pediatr Res. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Residual effects of focal brain ischaemia upon cannabinoid CB(1) receptor density and functionality in female rats. (abst – 2011) Residual effects of focal brain ischaemia upon can... [Brain Res. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Contribution of Hypothermia and CB(1) Receptor Activation to Protective Effects of TAK-937, a Cannabinoid Receptor Agonist, in Rat Transient MCAO Model.
    (full– 2012) Contribution of Hypothermia and CB1 Receptor Activation to Protective Effects of TAK-937, a Cannabinoid Receptor Agonist, in Rat Transient MCAO Model

Update on the role of cannabinoid receptors after ischemic stroke. (full – 2012)
    Update on the Role of Cannabinoid Receptors after Ischemic Stroke

Small-animal PET imaging of the type 1 and type 2 cannabinoid receptors in a photothrombotic stroke model (full – 2012) Small-animal PET imaging of the type 1 and type 2 cannabinoid receptors in a photothrombotic stroke model - Springer

Targeting cannabinoid receptor CB2 in cardiovascular disorders: promises and controversies (full – 2012)
    Targeting cannabinoid receptor CB2 in cardiovascular disorders: promises and controversies - Steffens - 2012 - British Journal of Pharmacology - Wiley Online Library

Cerebroprotective effects of TAK-937, a cannabinoid receptor agonist, on ischemic brain damage in middle cerebral artery occluded rats and non-human primates. (abst – 2012)
    Cerebroprotective effects of TAK-937, a cannabinoi... [Brain Res. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabinoid type 2 receptor activation downregulates stroke-induced classic and alternative brain macrophage/microglial activation concomitant to neuroprotection.
    (abst – 2012) Cannabinoid type 2 receptor activation downregulates ... [Stroke. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

The Cannabinoid WIN 55212-2 Mitigates Apoptosis and Mitochondrial Dysfunction After Hypoxia Ischemia. (abst – 2012) The cannabinoid WIN 55212-2 mitigates apoptosi... [Neurochem Res. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Reduced infarct size and accumulation of microglia in rats treated with WIN 55,212-2 after neonatal stroke. (abst – 2012) Reduced infarct size and accumulation of microg... [Neuroscience. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

The Role of Cannabinoids In Inflammatory Modulation of Allergic Respiratory Disorders, Inflammatory Pain and Ischemic Stroke. (abst – 2012)
    The role of cannabinoids in inflammatory m... [Curr Drug Targets. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Orally administered oleoylethanolamide protects mice from focal cerebral ischemic injury by activating peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor α. (abst – 2012)
    Orally administered oleoylethanolamide pro... [Neuropharmacology. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabinoid Receptor Subtypes 1 and 2 Mediate Long-Lasting Neuroprotection and Improve Motor Behaviour Deficits After Transient Focal Cerebral Ischemia.
    (abst – 2012) Cannabinoid receptor subtypes 1 and 2 mediate l... [Neuroscience. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

WIN55,212-2 protects oligodendrocyte precursor cells in stroke penumbra following permanent focal cerebral ischemia in rats. (abst – 2012) WIN55,212-2 protects oligodendrocyte prec... [Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

WIN55, 212-2 promotes differentiation of oligodendrocyte precursor cells and improve remyelination through regulation of the phosphorylation level of the ERK 1/2 via cannabinoid receptor 1 after stroke-induced demyelination. (abst – 2012)
    WIN55,212-2 protects oligodendrocyte prec... [Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

“A Marijuana Bud a Day Keeps the Stroke Away" (news – 2012)
    A Marijuana Bud A Day Keeps The Stroke Away | Marijuana and Cannabis News | Toke of the Town

WIN55, 212-2 promotes differentiation of oligodendrocyte precursor cells and improve remyelination through regulation of the phosphorylation level of the ERK 1/2 via cannabinoid receptor 1 after stroke-induced demyelination. (abst – 2013)
    WIN55, 212-2 promotes differentiation of oligodend... [Brain Res. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Nicotine-Induced Neuroprotection Against Ischemic Injury Involves Activation of Endocannabinoid System in Rats (abst – 2013)
    Nicotine-Induced Neuroprotection Against Ischemic Injury Involves Activation of Endocannabinoid System in Rats - Springer

Is the cardiovascular system a therapeutic target for cannabidiol? (abst – 2013)
    Is the cardiovascular system a therapeutic target for cannabidiol? - Stanley - 2013 - British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology - Wiley Online Library

Activation of Cannabinoid CB2 Receptor-Mediated AMPK/CREB Pathway Reduces Cerebral Ischemic Injury. (abst – 2013) Activation of cannabinoid CB2 receptor-mediated ... [Am J Pathol. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

If you send me an email (bottom of my sig), I'll send you over 1000 pages of links on all sorts of conditions! My "Granny Storm Crow's List" can be quite useful when you need the facts on cannabis! :D

Granny :wave:

10. #10 The Golden Spiral, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013

Say whaat?
    /thread

I love you granny, specially when you enlighten people with your big ass, kick ass list. :wave:

11. hey this is very good information, thanks for the response Granny! :wave:

im going to have to do some research on this raw bud idea and the effects of THCA.
    i may have to start a new thread for this but how do you think one would go about ingesting THCA without having to eat raw plant material?

yeah thats a good point i agree with the analogy to sex - most of the population it is actually good for, but it will kill a small percentage of people with poor health in other areas of their life.
    just spit ballin but i wonder if anyone knows how much butane smokers of marijuana and tobacco are inhaling throughout their life - pretty sure a high amount of butane will give you a stroke (apparently their are people getting high of straight butane gas). but maybe prolonged exposure to butane in small doses adds up over a lifetime?

12. holy shit granny just raped me with information. and i enjoyed it.

13. #13 Storm Crow, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
    Some of what I have under "METHODS OF USE- EDIBLES- RAW, UNHEATED CANNABIS"-

Form of medical marijuana won't get you high, but it's creating a buzz (news - 2010)
    Form of medical marijuana won't get you high, but it's creating a buzz

Juiced Marijuana Offered to Medical Users as Alternative to Smoking (news - 2010)
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Juiced Marijuana Offered to Medical Users as Alternative to Smoking | The Partnership at Drugfree.org[/FONT]

Raw Cannabis Juice and the Link to Clinical Cannabinoid Deficiency (news – 2012)
    Raw Cannabis Juice and the Link to Clinical Cannabinoid

Juicing medical marijuana the latest trend in amazing cures (news – 2012)
    Juicing medical marijuana the latest trend in amazing cures

Juicing cannabis miraculously saves lives after physicians declare the battle lost
    (news – 2012) Juicing cannabis miraculously saves lives after physicians declare the battle lost
    [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
    You can find these in "METHODS OF USE- TINCTURES"

Unheated Cannabis sativa extracts and its major compound THC-acid have potential immuno-modulating properties not mediated by CB1 and CB2 receptor coupled pathways. (abst - 2006) Unheated Cannabis sativa extracts and it... [Int Immunopharmacol. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

Heat Exposure of Cannabis sativa Extracts Affects the Pharmacokinetic and Metabolic Profile in Healthy Male Subjects. (abst – 2012) Heat exposure of Cannabis sativa extracts affects... [Planta Med. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

So a simple, cold extraction would work best for THCA- my List has several "how to make a tincture" articles!

14. You haven't provided any evidence that your grandpa had a stroke because of marijuana. There isn't really any "credibility" to the claim.

You basically said "I HAVE A GRANDPA" + "HE SMOKES POT" + "HE HAD A STROKE" THEREFORE = "GRANDPA HAD A STROKE BECAUSE HE SMOKES POT."

Causation =/= correlation.

15. About Torch's Grandpa- The act of smoking ANYTHING can raise your risk of a stroke! :(

It is CO2, CO and other combustion products raise the risk. However, the cannabinoids in marijuana lower the risk and damage! So smoking pot is a bit of a toss-up. :cool: That is the only link between cannabis and stroke that I've found.

So get a vaporizer! :D

16. #17 TorchAndABowl, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2013
    I also said it's an inevitability for some people. A decent portion of the population will have a stroke at some point in their lives. Didn't say it was a 100% cause and effect thing.

Exactly. Smoking in general isn't good for your body because of the byproducts of plant combustion. Plus, the guy is a pretty traditional stoner. Pipes, papers, and lighters. So there's the addition of byproducts from burning papers and gas from lighters.