Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana Law Vs. Marijuana Science

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Mindcore, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Marijuana Law vs. Science

Marijuana is a plant that is regularly enjoyed by many as an intoxicant, which has also been found to be a good treatment for nausea with people who are undergoing chemotherapy. Marijuana contains delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol.

We know this lovely molecule as THC. The intoxication effects of Marijuana have been studied, with funding from the legendary Mayor LaGuardia during his heyday. Marijuana relaxes people, makes them easily amused, enhances perception of sound, and makes them easily amused. Off course another word for a state of being easily amused is happiness.

No matter what your personal feelings on the ethics of recreational delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, if you think its weak, foolish, or a waste of time, I have something to say about how this substance is dealt with in regulating scientific research that should outrage everyone concerned about the public having access to potential medical discovery.

Science is a complicated enterprise. It requires massive quantities of funding. A good fluorescent microscope can cost $25,000. An fMRI machine, made famous with its colorful accurate brainscans, with software exceeds $1,000,000.

In addition to these cost barriers, the scientific enterprise demands a great deal of regulation.

Research done on animals has to pass an ethical review of the experimental design.

Clinical trials are even better regulated.

Usually these regulations are wise, and provide good consumer protection and a high ethical standard.

But not with THC.

Enter the nightmarish world of drug scheduling:

The drug scheduling system goes from 1-5. With 5 being the least regulated drug.

This system makes intuitive sense.

Indeed, I have no disagreement with the basic premise that intoxicants are different and should be treated differently by the law. Different laws should be required for Heroin, which is currently classified schedule 1, for among the most dangerous drugs.

Heroin is a more dangerous drug than effexor which is a simple anxiolitic and anti-depressant.

But lets talk about Marijuana, whose intoxicant is THC.

Marijuana is also scheduled 1, just like heroin.

Among the many problems with the scheduling of marijuana includes the fact that a schedule 1 drug is virtually inaccessible to scientists, and they are incapable of researching and furthering the common understanding of how THC affects people.

We do know from research that THC does not make those who are intoxicated dangerous in anyway, it does not cause overdose if marijuana is the delivery system, and it is one of the greatest treatments for nausea ever discovered.

The current scheduling of marijuana is unethical and unscientific.

2. Damn right. These bs laws need to be changed.

3. criminalizing any drug, no matter how dangerous it is, simply places its supply into the hands of criminals. So you not only continue to have problems caused by the drug itself but you have additional problems caused by allowing criminals to control the supply of that drug.

LEAP (Law Enforcement Against Prohibition) and Ron Paul make a good point when they say all drugs should be legally sold. Get the criminals out of the drug trade and treat it as a public health issue, which is what it is.

4. I agree. For me the legal questions of drug scheduling should be about regulation not criminal law.

I favor the immediate decriminalization of all intoxicants.

But I would like to see systems which provide needle users with clean needles and monitor their usage and help them stay alive.

Meth provided in ways that allow the chemical to be less toxic to the users bodies.

I think that a lot more science needs to be done on all intoxicants.

5. Thanks brother.

6. Isn't it ironic that marijuana is classified a schedule 1 drug, "no medical use." Please somebody help us!

7. This is literally what made me become pro-active as a marijuana activist, and why I'm attending and covering the Dallas TX. NORML march in a couple of months.

I fight against alternative medicine. Because its unscientific.

I know a lot of people here will disagree, which is fine, its not the point.

But it just adds insult to injury to me that people with cancer are free to get crystal healing, which is bullshit.

But they are not allowed access to pot??!!!

I decided then that fighting for medical marijuana is my responsibility as a science popularizer and advocate for skepticism.

Pot passes the test.

The tests of medical research are hard. Most shit fails.

Pot passes.

We know this.

This is a catastrophe that it is illegal.

8. Right on bro, glad to hear you are a soldier in the fight. I can only do what I can, that is donating what little money I have to CA NORML and Americans for Safe Access. As a medical user I also find it imperative to reform the outdated and unjust marijuana laws. Collectives and co-ops have been shutting down all over CA making it difficult for some very sick people to find relief. Hopefully the raids will stop with a new admin coming into government but we still need to reform the laws to make sure it never happens again.

9. It sounds to me like you do a lot.

We'll win this thing!