Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana has more carcinegons than tobacco?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Gr33nD420, Oct 26, 2012.

1. #1 Gr33nD420, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2012
    Alright, lately I keep hearing that marijuana contains more tar and carcinogens than tobacco but I never seen a stoner with a hacking cough like cigarette smokers, can someone clear this up for me? I get mixed answers when I google and everything and I would like the City's answer on this, if possible posting links citing your opinions on how it is or is not more carcinogenic than tobacco would be appreciated, thanks! :smoke:

2. dont know the facts but based on death tolls and health related issues id say government propaganda bullshit. If it was so bad we would have so many dead bodies lying around from emphaseema and lung cancer n shit. One 'theory' if you can call it that that i have heard is because stoners dont smoke as much (ie pack a day = 20-25 grams a day) the carcinogens dont effect us as much, once again cant say how credible/reliable that is.

3. Inhaling any type of smoke is bad for your health. And can contain carcinogens. However, there are many many toxic ingredients that are added to tobacco.

4. If marijuana was as bad for your lungs as cigarets or worse, they would be running nonstop PSA commercials of some guy in a morgue wringing out a lung into a measuring cup.

5. fuck you dean u pooplicking buttface

6. I was reading about this earlier from the links in Granny's list.

So I guess the answer would be yes, marijuana can potentially have more carcinogens. But the THC has a "protective effect", while nicotine has a "fuck you" effect.

7. [quote name='"THCdelta11"']fuck you dean u pooplicking buttface[/quote]

Best advice in the thread, thank you so much Trey

8. [quote name='"junkiedays"']I was reading about this earlier from the links in Granny's list.

So I guess the answer would be yes, marijuana can potentially have more carcinogens. But the THC has a "protective effect", while nicotine has a "fuck you" effect.[/quote]

Thanks for those links

9. I know people who smoke a pack of cigs a day, don't know anyone who smokes near that amount of weed a day. The amount of either smoked prob has something to do with it

10. this. I think if anyone smoked 20g of weed a day consistantly they would be hurting.

11. It's definitely not as bad as smoking cigarettes, given all the additives you find in them, but at the end of the day you're still inhaling smoke.

12. Where's Granny when you need her? :smoke:

From what i've heard, the big fan leaves have a "recognisable" amount of tar in them (but who smokes them anyway)

And there's about 85% less tar in a joint than there is in a cig, so there is tar, but like.. nobody's smokin' 40 joints a day y'know?

This was from a study like 2 years ago though, so I could be wrong :)

13. Yeah right... Tobacco's grown with fucking radioactive fertilizers and cigarettes have like 5,000 chemicals added to them to make them burn better. Like formaldehyde... Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, formaldehyde. :rolleyes:

14. As for the cough, it's been shown that up to a point, marijuana has actually been shown to be less damaging on the lungs than tobacco.

Not only that, but using a spirometer (measures airflow when breathing) it has been shown that "Air flow rate increased rather than decreased with increased exposure to marijuana up to a certain level".

For those interested in the details:
    JAMA Network | JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association | Association Between Marijuana Exposure and Pulmonary Function Over 20 Years

15. i heard a study discussed on the radio and they said that ppl who smoke weed have better lungs than ppl who dont smoke at all

so long as you are not abusing it

but ya cigs have way more chems n shit than weed does
    garan-damn-teed

16. I'd like to see how someone who smokes as much weed as tobacco in a pack of American Spirits. Things are fucking packed to the brim. Just wonderin.

17. This. /End