Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana for Brain Cell Growth

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by smokethestems, May 25, 2010.

1. Hello Grasscity! I am 20 years old, and have suffered from mild ADD and severe anxiety for the past twelve years. I have never gotten relief from any prescription medication, and for the past 3 years or so I have had this kind of mental lethargy that keeps me from thinking and learning as quickly and effectively as I used to, which makes college classes REALLY HARD.
    Today I was doing some research on the cumulative effects of stress on the brain, and it turns out that long term exposure to stress can actually kill brain cells. I was painfully anxious for part of almost every day for 10 years (it has backed off a little recently). It is tempting to link my long term anxiety with my recent mental struggles; my constant anxiety could have resulted in a loss of brain cells which (theoretically) could in turn have caused this state of mental lethargy.
    Which brings me to weed. In my research I also came across studies showing that weed causes neurogenesis. Now: is it possible that if I start smoking weed on a regualr basis I can regrow the brain cells that my long term stress has theoretically killed? How sick would that be...

2. try vaporizing daily and take omega 3 pills. Also eat well and sleep well. Should work out

3. As far as I know, there has been VERY limited success in this area. There is evidence that THC causes neurogenenis, but please don't go smoking a pound a weed thinking its going to be a cure all.

4. Fortunately for you, you have millions or billions of brain cells.. I'm no science/med. professor or even major, but I'm pretty confident when i say your illness/disease hasn't killed as many brain cells as you believe.

But, yes it would be wack if thc was a direct correlate to neurogenesis!

5. thanks for the responses y'all. iDank those are some awesome articles.

6. I think I heard somewhere that you can weed prescribed for those conditions, so you could try that if you want. I'm not sure if they though.