Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana family tree

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by conversation, Oct 8, 2008.

1. ok, so me and my friend were talking the other day about different strains of marijuana and we started to ponder on a certain topic.

We wondered what the original strains of marijuana could possible be.
    Like... we considered Afghan Kush to be one of the oldest original strains.

you know what i mean?

So i guess what im asking for is more information or input on the topic.

2. id say some sort of african strain(if one), think about the evolution and movement of man. Somwhere along his travels he found mary. Wether it in the beggining,middle or until medicine men(druggies) found her.

3. What an awesome idea! I wonder how the plant evolved to be so varied.:hello:

4. thats actually a good question. There must have been one original marijuana plant.. and now look at all the different kinds we have now.

5. i know right?!

im stoned right now so this is very intriguing haha.

ummmm..... id say maybe also like.... Indian Kush? along with Afgnan Kush.

6. I guess anything around from the 60's and 70's could be original. Panama red, purple haze,oaxacan,michoacan, etc.

7. well... i mean im talkin like thousands of years ago when cannabis was smoked you know?

8. Ohhhhh then yeah pretty much anything coming from the middle east or asia. Shit man the weed mustve been so good because it wouldnt be crossed with a whole bunch of other strains like it is now. Literally 100% sativa or indica. Which is a bitch to find these days with out a club card.

9. There are three main strains
    Cannabis sativa
    cannabis indica
    cannabis ruderalis <-- Spelling?
    Ruderalis is nasty ditch weed the type of stuff you find along the highway a little south of "Hillbilly stomp" and just west of "squeal like a pig boy"

From there on i don't know. good question though. i know have something to research while im blown.

10. Maybe they are like all the breeds of dogs. We pick up wolves thousands of years ago (or they stuck around because they were the weak ones who couldnt keep up with the pack) and then they diverge into a ton of sub-species (with the help of mating, too)

Same with weed, maybe. Primative man was probably setting up weed fields ever since we could farm, lol jk

Im too baked right now

11. This is like the coolest topic ever. I would have to agree that it would be near impossible to find out, but I would love to know. Go back in a time machine, and roll a j from the first buds ever :smoke:

12. I read this then went outside, blazed and couldnt get my mind off the question.

Since there are indica's and sativa's one of them has to be an original strain, and one is probably an adapted form of the other one cause the plant moved locations (from europe to North america maybe). So we would have to know what came first sativa's or indica's, and then we could narrow down the first weed plants way back in teh day.

I dunno if ANY of this make ssense im baked, but i might be able to fix it when i come down a bit lol:smoke::D

13. haha i understood it (mostly due to the fact that i too, am super stoned.) haha.

this topic was on my mind all night.

I like what Cheehwawa said about the relevance to the cultural adaptation and breeding of species of dogs. Because it only makes sense that there be an original race of wolves that over centuries have evolved to what we consider today "man's best friend".

Now with weed, i could only assume that there were original plants that were either 100% indica, or 100% sativa. Seeing as how EITHER of these is irrationally rare, it would only make sense a certain group of plants, which I will refer to as the Mother Plants, has evolved over thousands of years to become what i am currently smoking.

fuck..... i just blew my own mind.
    hahaha

14. China talks about using cannabis in like 2000BC. I believe they are the people who first started to use, like they have the first paper from it. It has also been found in tumbs at egypt. I believe seeds were found in King Tuts but im not 100%. Hemp has a LONG LONG history

15. I would guess it was similar to Hindu Kush.

16. Think it will vary for each type, i.e. sativa and indica. Here are some places of origin:

Sativa: The sativas were known for growing wild in Mexico, Thailand, Colombia, Jamaica, etc.

Indica: Indicas orginate in the southern Asia and the Indian subcontinent i.e. Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Tibet, Nepal, etc.

17. i know right? thats what im guessin.

strains that are named after where they originate
    such as

hindu kush
    indian kush
    afghan kush

maybe.
    i dunno.
    im stones.

18. Oh come on. How could anyone not have mentioned the Tia Sticks?

That shit's GOT to be ancient.

19. Easy. It was in the garden of weed-en. Adam and Eve were growin some bomb ass shit. They took care of it every day. Then harvest came and they had a smoke out. God wanted a hit, but they were all like, "pfft, you didn't put in on this man" and he couldn't get a hit. So God kicked them out. Luckily eve had some seeds with her and planted them outside, and that's it.

lmao, nah. It would be cool though. It may not be able to do it back then with previous strains. But certainly now. We can honestly do it, and it can be a sticky of all the sticky ickys. Serious though, let's do it.