Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana - Expels Tar from Lungs?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Suite, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Hey, could someone give me some more info/link me to a credible study on this? I've heard about it before and have been trying to find info on it to no avail. Thanks.

2. after i smoke I can usually hawk up some shit. maybe that's what you're talking about?

3. i have read tons of peoples stories about coughing up black speckled phlegm after a few years of regular cannabis smoking, but i have never heard of it happening to smokers of cigs. they just cough up yellow-green- shit.

At least thats what i have read/ heard. that seems to be solid proof of mj tar being expelled from the lungs.

hahahaahah. not really "solid proof".

ps: proof is a really ridiculous word when you say it over and over again.

4. I cant really see this happening since tar isnt in weed... tar on your lungs come from cigarettes, people who mix weed and cigs when smoked may get this though. Weed also does not contain carcinogens if you were wondering, it is one of the most if not THE most made up POS propaganda people think is true. A Carcinogen is what causes cancer, most commonly known from cigarettes.

5. Study Finds No Cancer-Marijuana Connection - washingtonpost.com
    i have heard of that, but couldn't dig up much either. this does have interesting mention that thc may kill aging cells helping to prevent them from becoming cancerous. I suppose i only assume it's relative since when tar and neg side effects of weed come up. will post other info if i come across it...might have to ask my brother think he mentioned it...

6. I believe its mentioned in the documentary In Pot We Trust or The Union. I don't recall, but i do remember that THC opens the blood vessels in your lungs(much like your eyes thats why it saves peoples vision who have glaucoma) making your coughs much more "productive"(also making cannabis beneficial to people with astma). Nicotine on the other hand constricts blood vessels increasing trapped tar. The study that Bernaskyburner posted a link to also mentions something about THC killing old cells that run a higher risk of becoming cancerous.

7. Im not too educated on this but I do know this.

My father has smoked cigarettes and pot for 25 years each and his lungs are in EXCELLENT condition.

It might be very much possible that cannabis smoke lessens the buildup of tobacco tar on the lungs.

If this were true then I would have to say the the ability to cough up the tar (that would normally be in your lungs) would be a GOOD thing.

I mean.. Right? :confused:

8. Hahaha, you had one of those moments where a word sounds strange for some sudden reason :p

9. I smoke weed and tobbacco and I do experience the black speckled phlem. I don't smoke cigs just stogs and pipe tobbacco out of the bong. But yea its nice to get that shit out lol.

10. ummm...weed may not contain carcinogens, but its smoke definitely does. It is absurd to say that plant matter smoke would not contain carcinogens. It is certainly less harmful than tobacco smoke though b/c thc is shown to protect against cancer.

11. Combustion usually results in some carcinogen production. Weed may not have any but chemical reactions change things. If you are vaporizing your weed you can preety much guarantee no carcinogens but most people still use combustion.

Tobacco on the other hand through the reaction of combustion produces hundreds of carcinogens. I do not know a number of carcinogens produce through marijuana combustion but it is no where near the number in tobacco.

12. Well, i thin this should be common cannabis knowledge, but when you smoke(or vaporize) cannabis opens up your airways, in turn making it easier for your lungs to naturally clean themselves and is easier to cough up any junk in your throat/lungs. Cannabis is also know to be anti-cancer, so it only helps you in this case.
    One more thing, Burning ANYTHING will produce toxic unknown chemicals, whther its tobacco,weed,paper,wood, or your nose hairs/eyebrows, any SMOKE will contain some carcinogenic chemicals. The only way to avoid this is to buy a good vaporizer(well known brands only) or make edibles. Im not saying i dont smoke, because i do. But vaporizing can be just as nice and get you just as high

13. agree wit tha last 2 posters, I thought it was silly that someone was trying to claim that there being carcinogens produced from smoking weed was propaganda

14. I dont cough up stuff usually. but my friends who smoke a lot of blunts are always coughing shit up. i just call it blunt-itous

15. bro resin = tar

weed actually contains more tar than tobacco, and, yes, some are carcinogens.

However, there's never been a reported case of lung cancer from weed alone, and there is evidence that THC is responsible for preventing cancer.

16. You aren't very smart. Marijuana has four times the amount of tar as cigarettes do! Just minus most of the cancer causing chemicals(yes weed has some).

17. There is more than one type of carcinogen. Marijuana combustion creates much less damaging carcinogens than tobacco does.

Also secondly, studies have shown people who smoke marijuana are less likely to develop cancer than people who do not smoke at all. (Tobacco, or weed)

18. You get tar in your lungs from marijuana too actually..

19. look at a dirty ass resd up bowl.

thats what your lungs look like.

20. You guys sure are daft

Marijuana doesn't contain 'tar', 'tar' would be the product of combustion, IE smoking. Is it really that difficult to understand?

As for the OP: I'm too lazy to find the study, but I've seen peer reviewed ones on the matter, why don't you search for it? It's because it's a vasodialator I believe which is the opposite of what smoking cigs does, but basically yes it expels the tar.