Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and your heart

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by mike9, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Ok, i know that medically - cannabis increases heart rate and is supposed to lower blood pressure, well this isn't completely true for me

whenever I smoke, my heart rate goes from my regular 60 bpm to 120-140 and this alone freaks me the fuck out. Additionally, I was diagnosed with prehypertension, which isn't high blood pressure but in a range where I need to make active and healthy lifestyle choices to keep it at a regular level

I have monitored my BP myself and it's never gone above 115/70 since I have lost 40 lbs. On mArijuana, it goes up to 150/120 - I know this from testing ans obvious physical features like face blushing

so my question is, how can I enjoy weed without worrying about this shit? I know subconiously it will always bother me but if I could find some reputable medical texts which explain how this isn't a concern, it's normal, etc.... Then my mind would be a lot more at ease.

Peace

-btw, I wrote this on my iPhone so please excuse any weird grammatical rrroors

2. Well when it comes to stuff like that i think that you should probably ask your doctor if you know him well enough...well thats what i would do.

3. I agree, I think talking with a doctor would be the best option.

4. Also now that i got the chance to think about it, maybe you can try edibles?

5. Why would that change the effects that marijuana is having on his heart rate? If anything, edibles would magnify the effects due to the large amount of weed cooked into them.

Increased heart rate is a medically observed side effect of inhaling burning cannabis matter. Nothing to trip about.

6. You may want to try a lower grade indica. I know a potent sativa can make your bpms race. Eating cannabis is a bit different but you have to watch how much you ingest because eating too much can cause panic and anxiety attacks. Keep a positive mind frame also because if you worry while youre baked can trigger thoughts of panic just by noticing things you usually dont. Hobbies take your mind off things.

7. To mike9, I kinda know what you're talking about. The first 10-20 times I smoked I didn't notice my heart rate at all. However, lately with some different weed I got every time I smoke I feel my chest pounding and I measure my heart beating at near 150 BPM, which of course makes me paranoid. Skyrockteting from a normal 70/80 BPM to basically double that is kinda scary since I keep thinking I'm gonna have a heart attack or something stupid. If you have some sort of medical condition I would probably recommend talking to your doctor, but otherwise it's completely normal to have a high BPM and when you're exercising your "maximum heart rate" is approximately 220 - your age, so having 150 BPM is basically what your heart is doing when you jog/run or do anything that pushes it.

I don't know about the blood pressure part, I'd do some research on it, but as for the freaky high heart beat, it's normal while high for me and everyone I've asked about it so don't trip out about it, just think of it as a workout. Just try not to overthink about it and try and and enjoy the high.

8. #9 tharedhead, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2009
    If pot's sympathomimetic effects are giving you an uncomfortable degree of tachycardia and elevated blood pressure (as in, beyond that experienced by the typical smoker), then you may need to be concerned about an underlying pathology which the pot is merely revealing. Talk to your doc
    https://www.google.com/health/ref/Autonomic+neuropathy
    Any family history of Parkinsons?:confused:

Hopefully its just the strain your are currently using. The elevated blood pressure is a concern, but it could be panic from the tachycardia. At any rate, have it checked out.

9. i believe that the high blood pressure is caused by underlying anxiety about my high heart rate. i can usually not focus on my heart when high but i have to be constantly moving something (like an OCD), but i know my BPM hitting 130-140 is well within my heart's ability and its nothing to worry about since i am still young, have no underlying heart conditions or family history, etc...

just kind of annoying to try to enjoy a high when you're worried about your heart

oh well - i guess ill try and lay back on the weed for a bit until i can figure out my options

10. whenever i smoke weed, then have a football match or somthing, after about 20 minutes my bpm must be so high, and my heart really starts to ache, i don't really worry about it, could be probly be something dead serious tho