Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and Stroke Patients?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Slim340, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Howdy people, so my pops had a stroke back in 2007. I would say by now he is about 65-70% better. Mentally he isnt the same, but his witty remarks are at an all time high lol. He holds a job, drives, and does other normal things. He has no movement in his left arm and he walks with a cane (personally I think its more of a mental crutch than a physical one). He is very anti-weed and it kills him when he knows I smoke and pull good grades in college.

I tried to email him the Union, didnt even watch a second of it, emailed him the Silver Tour video (push seniors in FL to recognize ganja is not bad and can be used to replace plenty of medications), didnt watch it, he emailed me back and said "put down the joint" lol. He claims it kills brain cells, and we all know thats false. So does anyone have any information about benefits of marijuana for stroke patients? I'll be seeing him for Thanksgiving and I would LOVE to smoke with him.

2. #2 Storm Crow, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2012
    This should give you enough to choose from! :D

Former Heart Surgeon: "A Bud a Day will Keep the Stroke Away" (news – 2012)
    Former Heart Surgeon: "A Bud a Day will Keep the Stroke Away" // Current TV

Marijuana chemical tapped to fight strokes ? (news - 1998)
    Science News Online (7/11/98): Marijuana chemical tapped to fight strokes

Dope hope for stroke victims (news - 1998) BBC News | Sci/Tech | Dope hope for stroke victims

Cannabinoids and Neuroprotection in Global and Focal Cerebral Ischemia and in Neuronal Cultures (full - 1999)
    Cannabinoids and Neuroprotection in Global and Focal Cerebral Ischemia and in Neuronal Cultures

Cannabidiol prevents infarction via the non-CB1 cannabinoid receptor mechanism. (abst – 2004) Cannabidiol prevents infarction via the non-CB1 ... [Neuroreport. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabidiol Prevents Cerebral Infarction Via a Serotonergic 5-Hydroxytryptamine1A Receptor–Dependent Mechanism (full - 2005) Cannabidiol Prevents Cerebral Infarction Via a Serotonergic 5-Hydroxytryptamine1A Receptor

Medical marijuana: study shows that THC slows atherosclerosis (news - 2005)
    The Next Hurrah: Medical marijuana: study shows that THC slows atherosclerosis

Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (Delta(9)-THC) prevents cerebral infarction via hypothalamic-independent hypothermia. (abst - 2007)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Delta9-THC) prevents cerebral infarction via hypothalamic-independent hypothermia. PubMed Journal article abstract

Update on the role of cannabinoid receptors after ischemic stroke. (full – 2012)
    Update on the Role of Cannabinoid Receptors after Ischemic Stroke

The Role of Cannabinoids In Inflammatory Modulation of Allergic Respiratory Disorders, Inflammatory Pain and Ischemic Stroke. (abst – 2012)
    The role of cannabinoids in inflammatory m... [Curr Drug Targets. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

For more information on how cannabis can help whatever ails your parents and grandparents, send me an email! (see the bottom of my sig) Putting all that together just took a couple minutes! I spent more time editing the spacing to make it look nice than getting the links!

I have 840 pages of links to studies and articles, and all you gotta do is ask! :yay:

Granny :wave:

3. Once again, Granny comes in the clutch! Preciate it

4. #4 Blaxicanchic75, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
    Hello just recently on 12/31/12 my husband who is 43 years old had an hemorrhagic stroke on the right side of his brain. He was discharged from the hosiptal on Friday 01/25/13. He currently is able to walk has movement all over his body The only issue is alittle cognitive issues minor ones with all the therapy he's receieving everyday he progress is outstanding. He is also a US Marine so he's very disciplined in doing what is necessary to have a full recovery. I was wondering if medical marijuana is good for him or not. He was a user prior to the stroke. The reason for me asking is I've read different articles that say THC raisies blood pressure and heart disease but I'm thinking this is more for those who smoke all day and munch out. We don't do that we relax but we go with the Sativa's vs. the Indica's. We usually smoke 2 maybe 3 joints normal size everyday.

He says when he smokes which is just a little not even half the joint there is more tingling in his left side he says while smoking. He is still not able to completely feel on his left side but he is able to move it with no problem just weaker on that side then the right and has tingling. Just curious if there are any articles on this and if I should continue to allow him to smoke. This was the one thing that the nuerosurgeon who saw him in the ER said to him that out of everything he did prior to the stroke (drinking beer and alcohol , smoking cigarettes or cigars, bad eating habits etc ) he said "I dont want to take all your fun away so if anything I'd have to say you can smoke medical marijuana". Anyhow thank you for any info you can provide to me and my husband regarding the affects of medical marijuana after a stroke.

5. It would be smart to stop smoking and start eating cannabis oil, which is the real medicine. Man where do i even start. Well, all you need to know is there is no better medicine than cannabis oil and you should obtain or make some asap(make sure it is an indica strain). You can check out this video playlist there are some videos in there on how to make it. EATING CANNABIS OIL CURES CANCER AND MOST HEALTH PROBLEMS - YouTube

6. #6 goldsworthy, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2013
    I am new here but stumbled apon this forum. I am 55 years old and have had 2 major brain strokes I look forward to looking around!!!.I have inactive hep C and a massive brain anyerisim inoperable by  todays standards. needless to say the pain level is extreme to say the least. I am tired of taking hard narcotics prescribed by my MD. I live in the state of Arizona and have decided to try to get my MM card. I have all my records and scans to show a MD. I will let ya all know if I qualify