Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and sleep

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by firstgrow, May 3, 2007.

1. I am diagnosed with DSPS (2 years), as teen i dropped out of school because of constantly beeing late. I didnt even know there was something wrong until i really got comfortable with a job. I realized that i can go to bed 4 am on a monday, up at 7, then sleep 17 pm-22 pm or skipping the nap and go to bed earlier... But whatever i did, it never seemed to settle on the acceptable hours always went back to the normal 4 am bedtime. I am very disciplined person, so i had trouble getting diagnosed and did the melatonin. It caused depression and after 6 months of sleeplogging i got the DSPS diagnosis. Its not bad if you can discipline yourself, and its easier after 20s. However i want to be awake when im awake and fully aware as close to 100% as possible, cannabis helps me do that, and my doctor says that i should keep doing it if it helps. It doesnt work as sleeping pill, but if i smoke in the evening im in bed usually 01-02 am, and it seems like its same no matter how much you smoke.

I hope this helps.

2. With over a thousand posts I would expect someone to actually know what they are talking about.

I sleep extremely well when I smoke before bed. In fact, if I can't fall asleep, I'll smoke and it puts me right to sleep.

Some strains make me extremely tired and I have trouble staying up if it's dark out.

3. Some good strong Indica will flat knock me out in the most peaceful way possible no matter how awake I am at the time :hello:

Anyone who says otherwise is ill-informed or unexperienced.

4. 1-2 bong bowls of some straight purp indica, im nice and relaxed until im ready to go to bed, then I just fall asleep whenever im ready

5. Awesome! I was laughin.

6. I was diagnosed with DSPS about 5 years ago myself. I have found smoking an hour or two before bed allows me to slip right into sleep. Indicas only though, as a potent sativa strain will actually keep me up for many hours longer.

7. Always helped me sleep when I smoked a few hours before bed. I love the come done/burnout feeling, just so relaxed and chill.

8. In conclusion, for better sleep, try to get th ebest indica that you can, if you want to smoke it right before you go to sleep, its high is a peaceful one and wil definetly put you out in 20 minutes. If you have sativa try to smoke it minimun 1 hour prior sleeping when i only had sativa i would smoke. GO eat a light bowl of cheerios (yeah but dont get carried away with the munchies!!!!) go take a shower (so great when your high) wash your mouth etc and than go to sleep. I read it has something to do with the melatonin levels or dont know if thats how its called. hope this helps.

9. it helps me wen i sleep but wen i wake up i wake up all crappy do u think its because of the weed should i smoke som better??????

10. I smoked .5 of kush from the clinic last thursday and slept like 2 hours.

11. Come down from a bong hit has worked much better than ambien, and is much safer, ive never wandered out in the woods at 12 am on weed

12. depends to you smoke regular grown weed? and what strand also... this usually happens to me when i smoke too much or/and the plant was not properly flushed and you can see this when the ash at the end is realy dark or black, you want to aim that the ashes are gray looking an almost white and puffy, but w.e .. how is your diet? Drink a full glass of water without ice and if you have or want to buy drink a spoon of flax seed with the glass of water.. this helps cleanse and read out of most toxins. which brings me to a TIP!: before going to hangout and you now you are going to get wasted drink a spoon of flax seed and a E vitamin before and after you hang out, the next day you should fell 50% less fucked up! :)

13. What I do, is smoke some weed, then I lie in bed listening to relaxing music, which I find relaxes all my muscles and straightens out my back. Then after half an hour I just "feel" like falling asleep and then I'm out cold in like 10 seconds LOL.

And then I wake up in the morning feeling fresh but a bit stupid. I solve this by drinking caffeine.

14. for some reason i always wake up sweating if i sleep high. i never remember my dreams either but i wake up feeling refreshed anyway

15. damn... do you sleep with and a/c or with a fan or none? maybe it is your body trying to rid of he toxins...do you sweat anyways when your high and do not smoke? maybe you go to sleep.. too high hehe :smoking:

16. ive had severe insomnia since i was 14 (now 28) and ive been on everything possible. some stuff turns me to a zombie and i sleep all day or it just doesnt work or the side effects are unbearable. weed is the only thing that works. i take a few hits before bed and i wake up 8 hours later refreshed.

17. ya it does .... i wake up AWAKE and earlier than usual ....

18. actually when im awake high my hands and feet get cold and shakey a little bit but that wears off later. i never sweat if im awake high.

19. I had my MMJ card prescribed to me for insomnia. i tried every pill on the market... it was by far the worst year of my life. ambien, ambien cr, lunesta, melatonin, & a shit-ton more.

eventually i settled on rozerem, it doesnt knock you out at all. instead, it resets your circadian rhythm, and gently lulls you sleep. the only problem - HANGOVER. its the worst ive ever had! for that reason, i got my MMJ card. works great!

If you still have trouble sleeping, try rozerem and toking. i never do both on the same night, but ill take rozerem maybe once a week and toke the other nights.

20. I've seen a lot of people on here going back and forth about whether or not MJ helps you get to sleep, but not a lot about the effect of it on the quality of your sleep or any long-term effects.

It's easy for me to conclude that MJ helps me go to sleep. My boyfriend and i both use it to relax before bed, but my bf, who has mild bipolar disorder and often has trouble getting to sleep relies on it specifically for that purpose. I've been a near-daily smoker (with a few week long breaks) for almost two years now, and I haven't noticed that any unusual insomnia, crazy dreams, or that anything weird has developed during this time when I sleep sober. I always feel great in the morning - no "hangover" like when you fell asleep drunk of took a flexeril the night before or anything like that.

However, I have heard that it disrupts your sleep cycles, specifically your REM cycle, and am wondering if anyone has any good sources (and by sources I mean scientific, not your dealer or best friend or even your college professor unless they can back it up with published studies) regarding the longer-term effects of smoking right before bed. Obviously, all medication has some side effects (For example, Ambien, another prescription sleep medication, has also been shown to suppress REM cycles). I'm just interested in weighing the pros vs. the cons before letting this habit get too entrenched in my life. Not that I will quit smoking, but I might stop doing it an hour or two or whatever is recommended to be healthier if I thought there were some serious effects of MJ on sleep.