Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

marijuana and pain killers

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by freeskier19, Oct 19, 2010.

1. #1 freeskier19, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2010
    So I'm not too sure if this is the right section to be posting this in, I apologize in advance if it isnt, I wont be offended if any mod or admin moves it.

I recently had a hydrocelectomy(google it) about 30 hours ago, and have not smoked 48 hours before the surgery so thats almost 80 hours now, i was prescribed codiene to ease the pain and have not taken any since about 10 am this morning, my pain is not severe so im gunna see how long i can go without the pills. the nurse told me i can smoke(i assume she means tobacco) 24 hours after surgery, now after doing my own research i found most people on the net agree that smoking weed while on pain killers is completley harmless, but since i have so much trust in the city :p i would like some opinions from some of you guys who have smoked after surgery, how did it affect you? generally im not too worried, just want some more input, and regardless i probably wont last much longer wihout a toke :p thanks guys, any input will ease my mind a bit more.

2. Hi Freeskier,

Unfortunately, I have a fair bit of experience taking heavy pain meds - oxy, percocet, diluadud and morphine. This has been my life for about four years now. Now, I can't speak specifically about codeine, as it is not on my 'menu', but I can happily report that I do smoke the herb while taking these meds, with no probs whatsoever. My pain doc has set me up to get my card: he hopes the MM will decrease my reliance on the hard stuff. I hope he is right.

Good luck, and go for it !

Cheers

3. I'm in the same boat as you man. I am on Oxycodone for back problems and I do blaze it up while taking my pain medication. Haven't had any adverse effects aside from maybe being a bit more sleepy. I am really hoping that Prop 203 passes here in AZ, I am tired of being a slave to a damn pill.

4. They wont counter-act with eachother, meaning there is no harm that will come to your body physically, but its up to how you are personally to decide if you want to mix 2 different effects.... I'd say if you have the brain to think to ask before mixing, you'll probably be fine! hahahaha

5. The 24 hour wait is for the cuts to heal enough to NOT rip apart and prolong healing (thus bed rest and no smoking)...trust me, it isn't pleasant to tear open the wounds due to a cough.:D

6. More personal experience here...Don't worry about it. I realize everyone is different, but I have spent the last ten+ years on some form of narcotic or other, mostly Morphine Sulfate and Oxycodone. I've never had any problem, and the high hasn't been affected, nor the action of the narcs.They don't seem to interact at all. It's as safe as you can be taking narcotics and smoking... neither one is "good" for you!
    Also, Codeine is the weakest of the narcotic painkillers. Some people have less tolerance for narcotics.

7. I would say make some edibles. As far as mixing them, you will be okay, just prepare to be zonked.

8. #8 Storm Crow, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2010
    Cannabis does interact with pain killers. In most cases it improves your pain relief. There is a whole section on "INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER DRUGS" in my list (click the first link in my sig). Here's an abstract that is about codeine and cannabis.

The analgesic properties of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and codeine.
    (abst - 1975)
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

9. It will interact, but i wont COUNTERact the pain killer. They have exact opposite meanings man hahahaha

10. Thanks for the replies guys, as I figured nothing happened, other than being so damn tired I could barely stand. :p

11. funny, i decided to take one of my bros pain meds from his wisdom teeth (doesn't need them) then 2 hours later i went and smoked 8-10 bowls with my friends, im pretty fuck't up haha, mostly from the ganja.:D

12. I have a disease that gives me severe pain yet my docs all think I'm some drug addict or something because whenever I ask for painkillers I end up getting a prescription for 10 vicodin :confused:

That being said if it wasn't for weed I'd be in a lot of pain all the time. I definitely find the effects of painkillers + weed to be particularly pleasing though. For me it's kind of like...

Pain on a day I don't have much work to do = Just MMJ

Pain on days I have a lot of work to do = Just painkillers (certain strains give me a cloudy head making it hard to do work), but as I said I typically don't have them so I usually just deal with it.

Severe pain = at most 20mg of painkillers / day + MMJ (with no MMJ taking that much will make me feel nauseous / kill my appetite, and no anti-nausea pills don't work at all)

So to answer your original question yeah they're definitely compatible with each other, in fact I'd say they're pretty complementary as painkillers often cause nausea / sickness for many people, while MMJ effectively works to counter-act that.