Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and Dream...

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by winkless, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Marijuana affects dreams. Stoners say they don't have dreams but if they stop smoking for a few days, they are flooded with dreams. Is there any psychological research supporting this? :rolleyes:

I have had some pretty cool dreams. During a period of intense anxiety, I was obsessed with death. One night I dreamed I was sitting in a movie theater impatiently waiting for the movie to begin. My father and my brother were next to me and I was facing the big white screen, waiting and waiting. Finally, the picture began and I was flooded with profound white light and overwhelming love. Death had come for me but death was not scary, but extremely benevolent, loving and blissful. How about you? Any night time dreams you'd like to share? Any thoughts on marijuana and dreams? :smoke:

2. I do alot of work with my dreams and marijuana only seems to help me get into a deep sleep i think the reasons alot of people say they don't dream on herb is because it makes you get into a deeper level sleep which when you wake up if you don't write what you remeber down it quickly leaves and cannot be remebered. just my opinion i don't know what others experience. Namaste:hello:

3. Not the case for me at all. I'll usually have at least one main dream that I can remember pretty well each night, if not multiple dreams in one night. I also spend a lot of time napping (I'm lazy), usually in one-hour increments, and I almost always dream while napping.

I've read a lot of articles on dreaming, and from what I recall, a lot of people have trouble remembering their dreams because they haven't trained their minds. One technique is to keep a dream journal, and whenever you wake up, before you do anything else, write about your dream. It doesn't have to be blow-by-blow, just write any detail you can remember.

Another technique is, when you first wake up, don't move. Stay in the same position you were in while you were sleeping, keep your eyes closed, and just reflect on your dream(s) from the night. You'll remember a lot more of your dream.

I've done both of these, and both work really well.

4. most people dont remember their dreams me personally i have some sick dreams when i blaze before bed some of em are really detailed.

5. I think it has to do with the short term memory problem. We all dream every night whether we are sober or high, but if we have smoked in the last 24 hours our short term memory is going to suck, and we're not gonna remember the dream when we wake up.

6. You always dream during the night no matter what, if you can't remember any it doesnt mean you didn't dream.
    If you are overtired your body will be working more on replenishing your body which makes it harder to remember dreams. I suppose stoners can be overtired maybe this would explain it.

Perhaps smoking right before you go to sleep gives you more vivid dreams - I have not tried it as I live at my parents house still.

7. Many people who start on the path to quitting marijuana experience strange and vivid dreams. Some say they are just very weird and nonsensical and other describe them as nightmares but the common element that many who experience such dreaming soon after they have stopped smoking pot is the clarity and vividity of such dreams which has surprised and often scared them.

I was thinking on this and wondering if it has to do with marijuana and it's effect on memory. Many studies have shown that excessive usage of marijuana can lead tom short term memory loss and over a longer period long term memory loss as well as absent mindedness and a general lack of clarity.

How this links to memory is that I was reading up on how they believe that dreams are a way for the mind to sort out your memories when you are asleep leading to better cognitive functions and better clarity of memory.

It seems to me that the chemical processes in your body and mind that are going on when you smoke marijuana inhibit the functioning of memory and often problem solving abilities too. When we give up smoking marijuana and the body starts to clean out the THC and other impurities then our brain starts improving its memory and functions again which leads to the vivid dreams as the mind furiously works to repair the damage the pot has done and perhaps they might seem all the more real and clear because it has been so long since an ex addict has had such dreams.

On the other hand many people believe in the symbolism of dreams and how they have meaning if you can interpret them and with marijuana being primarily a psychological addiction there must be many pent up emotions and problems just waiting to come to the fore when a marijuana addict becomes clean of the drug and with themselves.

Perhaps it is a mix of both with marijuana addiction inhibiting memory and brain function and the reasons for being addicted inhibiting people from exploring the psychological issues that they face? In any case I believe that having such drams should not be something to be scared or frightened of but instead to be embraced when quitting marijuana as it is obviously a sign that something is changing and if you are committed you know that giving up weed is a change for the better and so are your dreams!

8. ive trained my mind and after 12 years i have the same dream everynight, but its always different.
    at first i could walk, but i learnt to hover, then to fly.
    literally fly in my dream, i can feel the wind in my face everything,
    i think quantum physics plays a role in dreaming, there has to be different dimensions supporting different stages of life, death, dreaming etc.

9. i have insomnia so i smoke before i go to bed(or vape) so today for the first time in over a year i was out of bud so i took about 3 1/2 shots of nyquil and passed the freak out.

once i fell asleep i had a total of three dreams with the last one extremely real i thought i wasnt dreaming. i was dreaming that i joined the marine corps and i can still see the pictures in my head from my dream, thats how vivid it was.

i never dream when i smoke before bed, NEVER!

10. Yea they do. Before i wrote some dreams down I had some that for some reason they just stuck with me and i can tell you everything that happened.

During the summer i used to have like 4 or 5 dreams a night. I would have one short dream, wake up, write it down, go to bed then dream again. That shit would happen like 3 more times before I wake up in the morning. :smoke:

11. If I smoke RIGHT before bed, I'll fall into a deeper sleep and usually won't dream either.

What's cool about recording your dreams is that you can always go back, read them, and re-experience them. :)

I have yet to achieve a true lucid dream, though. I've come very close -- in one dream, I realized I was dreaming and spun in a circle, but fell back into autopilot right after. :(

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sorta off-topic but does anyone ever get high in their dreams? Like you actually smoke and start feeling the effects of being high while in your dream?

• Like Like x 1
  13. This. Same here except I don't keep a journal.

14. You ever do??? :confused:
    My dreams are usually much less detailed but sometimes I realize that I'm dreaming and can somewhat control it. I'm dead serious. :eek:

but its different a few days ago I had a dream that I was trapped in a mall being chased by the aliens from alien vs. predator... apparently I was an inferior race or something and they were trying to capture me it was so scary, I ended up hiding in this classroom (idk y there was a classroom in the mall) and I watched him walk by the door and then I was like f**k this this has to be a dream and then I woke up. :D

15. So i smoke every night before foing to sleep and i wake up and can never recall whether i dreamed, i just assume i didnt. But recently i went to sleep without smoking and i had great vivid dreams. But i went back to smoking the next day and nothing from then on. And now about a week later ive had to stop smoking and everynight i have great vivid dreams which i remember alot of detail from, when i wake up that morning. So now i cant decide whether i would rather have great dreams which i remember much of the detail or to never dream/ not remember dreaming at all.

16. lol, its as simple as not smoking before you go to sleep.... Smoke like 2 hrs before bed and youll sober up before bed.. :eek:

17. I might be wrong, but from what I've heard, It's something with the REM sleep.
    As far as I've heard, marijuana blocks the REM sleep (wich is the state of sleep where you dream) wich means you do not get as rested as you would if you were sober, and you didn't dream.
    Heard it on a semi antidrug site though, so take it with a gran of salt.

18. i can only remember 1 dream from the past 6 months or so, miss remembering dreams aswell

but when i have tea breaks ill get them back, kinda wish it was easier to remember dreams when ive been getting high but i think ill try doing the dream journal and reflecting on what i remember in the morning :D

19. If I'm super tired and I smoke some good indica before bed I can tell I get real good rem sleep and will stay asleep and dream the whole night..I'm usually a really light sleeper and hardly get any rem so maybe that's why with me