Marijuana And Brain Damage

Discussion in 'General' started by ThisISarT, Jun 20, 2013.

1. #1 ThisISarT, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
    I know this probably belongs in the science section, but I figured that more people would benefit from this information if I just post it here.

The only reason I could still justify smoking regularly was because I thought smoking weed would have no lasting effect on my brain. This study has inspired me to seriously cut down on my smoking habbit, and I thought it might help some of you too. Knowledge is power!

Basically there's a new study on the topic of frequent use of weed. It states that frequent users of inhalants suffer "significant morphological differences" in cerebrum, the largest part of the brain where cognitive and emotional processes (like logic reasoning, planning skills and memory) takes place.

The smoke is supposidly toxic to white matter, which regulates transmition signals inside the cerebrum and from the cerebrum to the lower brain centers.

I do have to say however that this study applies to adolencents, but it still made me consider the possibility that weed is more damaging that I previously assumed.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21955104

2. I would tell you your wrong....but I fried my brain on the marihuana.

• Like Like x 3
  3. I remember reading somewhere that any amount of smoke, no matter the quantity, isn't damaging at all.

4. Methinks that was another govt/bigfarm sponsored article.

Reading many many studies in the last year that all say quite different (including preventing altzheimers).

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 ThisISarT, Jun 20, 2013

That's your own fault for smoking the plant.

Edit: seriously though, why do you think I'm wrong?

It never tries to discredit the positive effects of marijuana, it simply states that research has show that adolecents who frequently smoke (any substance, including weed) show signs of neurobiological damage.

I think you're paranoid from smoking all that reefer.

7. I need the meme of Nick Cage saying "I don't give a fuck" from the movie Face off

• Like Like x 2
    Maybe you should read my article then.

9. well just goes to show, children shouldn't smoke anything.. I guess..

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ha a .gov website and conducted by : © 2011 The Authors, Addiction Biology © 2011 Society for the Study of Addiction.

If they came out with a study that says marijuana had no ill effects long term, do you think the organization would be as financially successful if they lose out on the most frequently used drug in the country?

Nah this is not biased at all.
    No agenda, whatsoever.

Sent from my HTC One X using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  11. Did u know u lose brain cells by swimming?

Because u hold ur breath, and brain cells deprived of oxygen will die off.

I'm going to form a 501c3 organization, get government funding, pay myself and staff crazy salary, and start a crusade against kids swimming.

Anyone else with me?

Sent from my HTC One X using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 5
    You do make a point. I don't think it's fair though to discredit the entire research without any proof.
    It's just something I wanted to bring to your attention.

13. Watch jeopardy every day to see if you are frying out.  I'll take Anal Bum Cover for $400 Alex.  Uh, that's "An Album Cover" Sean!

14. Just like that Big Mac in your avatar is bad for you and sitting on your ass on this computer is bad for you. I agree with you, knowledge is power but it's all how you control your thought process to prosper

• Like Like x 3
  15. Are you implying that I didn't? I did...

• Like Like x 1
  16. i like how every few weeks some user tries to "inform" the city of the dangers of marijuana, like he has THE inside information. this has to be the same stupid kid every time.

17. #17 atonsphere420, Jun 20, 2013
    Any thing is possible I guess

I think a lot of people misinterpreted my intentions. I don't want to warn anyone, because I simply do not care. I do however thought this article was somewhat interesting, and I felt like sharing it because I would think it's pretty nice of someone to share their ideas.

I'm sorry, I assumed you just commented without reading.
    I feel kinda douchy now if that makes you feel better.

20. This study has been out for a long time. Adolescents who started MJ habitually at age 12-15, would see a minor IQ drop by the time they hit 35. People who waited till about 18 or 19 to smoke, saw zero difference in IQ by 35 after habitual use.

• Like Like x 4