Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and Anti-Depressants

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by dusty92388, Aug 11, 2011.

1. I'e been on meds since I was 8... a lot longer than I have been smoking. (Started smoking at 16, and now I am 18) I have mixed feelings about pills. Sometimes I think they are fucking with my personality and sometimes I feel like an empty shell... I can't even recall everything I have been prescribed. I take Prozac and Welbutrin right now. I feel like I would be better just smoking, although I have lost a good 30 lbs since starting back on the meds. My mother won't let me live with her if I don't take them... I have not taken them for like 3 days, but I think I ought to just because... Sometimes I don't even know how I feel anymore... :(

2. I don't think we're 'supporting' prescription drugs. Some of us NEED them in order to get out of the bed every morning. Those of you who have never experienced true depression can shut the fuck up. Because its one of the worst feelings in the entire world. Yes, we would much rather not be on a fuckin pill every day. But for the time being, they're helping me to get out of this rut.

3. So what? For 5 years, they're doing fine. But at any time in the future, they could cause problems. Maybe they're working for you and always will, but that may just be luck in your genetics. It could just as easily kill the next person.

And to answer your question, no. My father was mentally stable before going on the medication. I know that getting rid of depression with willpower is possible, but people are just too lazy. :smoking:

4. #64 kronman907, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Yeah my advice only covers America haha. As soon as I have enough money I'm heading over to europe or canada america is about to collapse and become a police state. I can just tell living over here it's all about to go to shit, prop in less than 5 years or so.

5. I was pretty heavily medicated for a while. On 300mg of wellbutrin mixed with ability to stabilize my mood. I smoked weed te entire time. If anything it just amplified my high. But after a while it turned into anxiety. I had to be constantly doing something. I wasn't depressed anymore but I started changing a lot. I developed pretty awful social anxiety. I stopped taking it tho and now I'm still smoking everyday. I feel fine, I occasionally experience depressed highs. It's a weird balance. All in all weed is helping me off of medications. Unfortunately I'm going back on them soon.

What are you taking? If it's something like Prozac (flouxetine) or zoloft you should only experience what you just explained. Being that those are selective seratonin reputake inhibitors (ssri's). When I was on those smoking weed didn't effect me at all. I was pretty stable.

But I suggest to keep low doses on your anti depressants to prevent any major mood swings or depressed lows. Because it's a pretty bad place to be in.

And also anti-depressants are unfortunately necessary for some. When you have a chemical imbalance you have to re-right those chemicals. Or else you alienate yourself and start losing yourself.

6. my buddy did that, smoked weed with anti depressents.... He's a dumb shit, good thing he ditched those fuckers

7. #67 WeedHeals, Aug 11, 2011
    You're the best. Haha

8. Some people have unbalanced chemicals in their brains something that some medication can help.... Ive done everything right but for some reason anxiety can worsen in the nighttime for really no reason at all. Not everyone can get medical marijuana like others....

9. mixing anti-depressions? i wouldn't recommend it.

10. #70 SourDeezel420, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2011
    If you were countering a comment that the sky was made out of marshmallow, would you really need "data to back that up". I don't need a source to back up my denial of such a blatantly ridiculous claim that antidepressants kill thousands daily. If you think that that's a true statement, then you've got a tough life ahead of you.

11. #71 kronman907, Aug 11, 2011
    I can pull up around 15,000 case study files of people who killed them selfs only after starting on antidepressants...

12. The people who are against anti-depressants have never been in a situation where they needed them. I laugh out loud everytime I read a post about "proper diet and excercise", like they confused depressed for stupid and think they can't figure things out for themselves.

I have been on antidepressants about 3 months now, not for depression, to calm the nerves in my stomach that caused extreme pain and nausea 24/7 for over a year (antidepressants serve many purposes, its really a wonderous family of drugs), and my pain has almost entirely subsided, and the marijuana takes care of the nausea, since I've been smoking the whole time almost daily since the second month, no ill effects to speak of.

13. #73 kronman907, Aug 11, 2011
    Have you gone to school for 6 years and have studied antidepressant drugs and their effects? They don't give antidepressants for stomach pain first of all troll, second you never need "antidepressants" like every other drug it's a craving. I see antidepressants as a easy way out of lives stresses. Instead of dealing with life, just pop this pill and sit their like a good zombie.

14. How is it that for some people, pills are the answer? I mean, if depression is a state and not a disease born from un-resolved problems and traumas, then how's a pill gonna make you forget? How does a pill make people get out of bed even though they can't forget who cheated on you or why your mom's such a bitch or why it isn't fair that other people get better opportunities in life than one (etc, etc, etc...)? I can't take that pill bullshit, it makes you feel hollow and "functional", yes, you do pay attention, but you forget about what YOU would pay attention to.
    Normally, stuff like ritalin and lithium is made for people who see the devil in the details and tire everyone else, and whomever says that's not true just doesn't understand what it means to be on the other side of the looking glass. Too hyper, too curious, too naggy, it's because we see shit and we want to know, but other people don't really care and would rather you sit quiet than to let you develop your curiosities (and personality in the process).
    Life isn't meant to be lived like that, and it's a process that's too advanced in it's stages to reverse the adverse effects immediately. The best we can do es wean the world off of synthetics and hope for the best.
    Shrinks are there to act as a mirror to reflect our thoughts when we have no one to trust and we've been taught not to trust ourselves, not medicate and shut us up. So, basically man the fuck up, recovery isn't a pill away, it begins with saying sorry (to whomever, including yourself) and letting go of what ails people. Distract yourself, develop new habits, but man the fuck up and tell your depression your fucking tired of it and want it to go away, because it only haunts you and no one else.

I hope this is coherent enough.

15. The point of proper diet and exercise is that it distracts people and provides a healthy alternative without being specifically as a treatment. If you tell people that it guarantees them, there's a chance people might blindly follow it into a placebo effect and not really resolve whatever ails them, just make them forget for now. The point is to do something that doesn't lock your body up such as when you are depressed and you think "freely" because you're loose due to exercise in body and that translates to a certain loosness mentally. The mind/body dualism should not be taken lightly

16. #76 kronman907, Aug 11, 2011
    Well put my good sir

17. I think that a combo of pot and Omega 3 may be the cure for depression. Here's why-

Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions.
    (abst – 2011) Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocanna... [Nat Neurosci. 2011] - PubMed result

That says that the "western diet" is the root cause of the depression and other madness we see all around us. Seems that our diet is WAY over-balanced with Omega 6 and had almost not Omega 3. (Just trust me on the details on this- or I'll have to do a huge "wall-o-text" post!)

For the best health (physical and mental) we need about 4 Omega 6s to one Omega 3, while our western diet can give you up to 50 to 1! :eek:

New brain cells being made due to exposure to cannabis-

Marijuana May Grow Neurons in the Brain (news - 2005)
    [FONT=&quot]Medical News: Marijuana May Grow Neurons in the Brain - in Psychiatry, Anxiety & Stress from MedPage Today[/FONT]

But because we lack Omega 3, the body sticks in an Omega 6- which almost works! It doesn't stick on one little piece and it makes it a defective CB1 receptor on your brain cells. :( The CB1s in your brain help control mood. It takes about a month of Omega 3 supplementation for enough receptors to be made to lift your mood.

How Long Before Fish Oil Works on Depression to Lift Your Mood? [FONT=&quot]How Long Before Fish Oil Works on Depression to Lift Your Mood?[/FONT]

Hope that helps!

Granny :wave:

18. Thank you for your post StormCrow. I knew we are lacking in omega 3, just did not know the severity of it. Going to buy some omega 3 pills and see if I the mood lightens in a couple months.

Also when im feeling my worst I take some tincture. It can really help, without getting high.

19. #79 Storm Crow, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2011
    King, it's even bigger than that! Scientists have bred mice deficient in CB 1 receptors- they show us what can happen in a worst case scenario with a lack of working CB receptors!

The CB1 "knock-out" mice age faster, get senile and more-

Early onset of aging-like changes is restricted to cognitive abilities and skin structure in Cnr1(-/-) mice. (abst – 2011) Early onset of aging-like changes is restricted to... [Neurobiol Aging. 2010] - PubMed result

Genes differentially expressed in CB1 knockout mice: involvement in the depressive-like phenotype. (abst – 2010) Genes differentially expressed in CB1 knockout mic... [Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2011] - PubMed result

Deficiency of type 1 cannabinoid receptors worsens acute heart failure induced by pressure overload in mice. (abst – 2011) Deficiency of type 1 cannabinoid receptors worsens... [Eur Heart J. 2011] - PubMed result

Worsening of Huntington disease phenotype in CB1 receptor knockout mice.
    (abst – 2011)
    [FONT=&quot]Unbound MEDLINE | Worsening of Huntington disease phenotype in CB1 receptor knockout mice. PubMed Journal article abstract

[/FONT] The role of cannabinoid receptors in bone remodeling in a CB1/2 double knockout mouse (osteoporosis and healing are affected)

(abst – 2011)
    [FONT=&quot]The role of cannabinoid receptors in bone remodeling in a CB1/2 double knockout mouse -- Pixley et al. 25 (1): 492.5 -- The FASEB Journal[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT] Increased Severity of Stroke in CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor Knock-Out Mice
    (full - 2002)
    Increased Severity of Stroke in CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor Knock-Out Mice

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]See why I am "on your case" for all of you to take Omega 3? :yay:

Our American diet is KILLING US! :eek: And as a side effect, it's making us depressed and crazy! Start changing your diet to include more whole foods! And since many of our modern oils have NO omega 3, read this to educate yourself- Easy chart! :D

Good Oils and Fatty Substances
    Good Oil Information

There is a very old saying- "We dig our graves with our teeth!"

Granny :wave:

20. It's not complete shit. I've read a lot of good studies about how terrible anti depressants are; they really can make you much, much worse. Well, I don't think "can" is the right word. They WILL make you worse, whether or not its down the road or soon is hard to say.

I don't know a single person on anti depressants who are better because of them. Although I know PLENTY of people who've switched from the pills to marijuana and are much happier.