Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana and Anti-Depressants

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by dusty92388, Aug 11, 2011.

1. I have recently been prescribed anti-depressants by my psychiatrist and I've been on them for about 3 weeks now. Its been helping with my depression quite a bit. When I used to smoke, I could hardly concentrate on anything and I really couldn't think. Now when I'm high, it feels more "focused", and I am able to concentrate and think more clearly. Has anyone else had experience with anti-depressants and smoking?

2. Anti-depressants changed me into someone I wasn't, I couldn't do anything, I completely threw them out and told my doctor he can go to hell. They are sooo horrible for you bro.

But no, I smoke now instead of antidepressants, don't think i'd ever mix them.

3. Please don't generalize your experience to fit with everyone. Antidepressants work for some and don't for others. The OP even said that he has felt a lot better since being on them for a few weeks.

I've been on them for a few years and am in the process of coming off of them with my doctor's help (Effexor causes the absolute worst withdrawals if you miss a dose or lower your dosage). It will be interesting to see if I experience something similar to what you described.

4. Sometime I feel kind of zoned out. I don't want to be on them forever. I really don't like the idea of taking a pill everyday just to be "normal", but it has helped. These past few years I've really been through a lot, and it's hard to cope with reality. It kind of keeps a balance, I'm not extremely depressed in a hole that I can't get out of, nor am I floating on a cloud either.

5. Dude don't mix the two. Badbadbad.

6. I don't know if that would work for me. There would be times before where I'd get high, and just think about death and how I'm going to die one day, and just cry and get upset. :mad: I think I have benefited from the anti-depressants my doctor prescribed me, and hopefully one day, I can stop taking them. I just hate drug companies. There are so many side effects from prescription drugs. One thing I've discovered from my medication is lack of sexual desire. Definitely not a healthy thing for my relationship.

7. Anti Depressants kills thousands of people everyday yeah it might work at first but its synthetic bullshit that's made in a lab the side effects over weigh the benefits throw it away and smoke a joint

8. I appreciate your opinions and concerns with mixing the two, but my psychiatrist actually told me to keep smoking weed. Just not to make it a daily thing.

9. I wish you the best of luck with your health I'm just letting you know for intensive research them pills are no good

10. pills are a scam.

The majority of them are just trying to do what weed does to your brain naturally. Depression is a state of mind not a disease. A pill isn't going to fix you. It's just going to cover up the real problems and make you "feel" better....meanwhile forgetting that there ever was a problem in the first place...as long as you keep taking them. $$

11. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, whatsoever. :rolleyes:

12. #13 Sw33tdwill, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Exactly all pills do is mask the side effects is doesn't really fix the depression and it also causes harm to your body

13. yeah dont take un natural stuff

14. If you're gonna come here, don't talk complete shit. Understand?

15. #16 Sw33tdwill, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Are you retarded that's basic knowledge look it up idiot.

16. Yeah, I'm the retard here. You think your monkey fuck statement is "basic knowledge"? Post your proof of antidepressants killing thousands daily.

17. #18 dusty92388, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2011
    There are tons of things that we come into contact on a daily basis that are "unnatural". All of the pre-packaged foods that we consume are full of chemicals that are added to help lengthen shelf life.

Back on topic, If you actually spent everyday thinking that there is no point to life, that we are all just going to die, then you might know what depression is. I got to the point where I lost my job because I didn't see the point anymore. I believe my medication is working for me.

18. The best medicine for depression is daily exercise and eating a healthy diet full of nuts, fruits, vegetables, bread and fish:yummy: Those two, exercise and healthy diet, is all you need to fight and get over depression.

Check out the video in the link. Dr. Emmons, a psychiatrist, explains how exercise is more effect than anti-depressant pills :)

Exercise: How Does This Promote A Healthy Mind And Body? - Dr. Emmons - VIDEO - EmpowHER.com

And this explains how a healthy diet can prevent depression :D

How a Healthy Diet Can Prevent Depression

"Many people consume a diet high in bad fats, fried, refined and sugary foods. Studies show that such a diet can certainly increase the risk of depression. When that happens, an individual will usually make an appointment to see a doctor who typically ends up prescribing anti-depressants, resulting in potential long term mental and physical health problems. It is a fact that a diet high in vegetables, fruits, and fish helps to prevent depression."

I hope you get better soon~! ^_^

19. please explain. :smoking:

Maybe I need to watch more t.v. or something to be convinced that someone feeling sad about something is the same as a biological illness.

You don't find it strange that in today's society every other person is taking a pill for something? It's just snake-oil with better advertising. 1000's of years of civilization have survived without antidepressants. Just as they survived without cellphones or internet. It's just another item of luxury marketed to the lazy.

When something sounds too good to be true...it usually is.