Marc Emery agrees to five years in Canadian prison

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by amsterdamage, Jan 14, 2008.

1. I'm speechless at the power of the prohibitionists! Five years is way better than life, but for the "crime" of selling seeds it's five years too much!! :mad:

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=12d892dd-4d9c-41c2-89d7-098d16bf6d89&k=19587

2. Oh, Canada...WTF? :(

This is what happens when you leave your borders open...?

3. Why are they busting Emery reallly? Not for selling seeds, they busted him and his two other associates because the US is afraid of his political ambitions imo. I would be pissed if I was Canadian with the US government meddling in Canadian affairs. I will say though that Emery shouldn't have been so flamboyant in his political operations because that is what drew the most heat from the Feds but 5 years for selling seeds is bs imo.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 djnecro, Jan 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    What about the proceeds from crime act? I'm not sure if we have something similar here in Canada, but according to the courts, that $600,000 should be considered proceeds from a crime and the persons who received the money should also be prosecuted appropriately...

Okay, perhaps my bong hit was a little too big, but I am unable to form coherent arguments in this case... it makes so little sense, it's.... .. just wrong...

5. The government would never prosecute itself. They accepted the money with the full disclosure of where it came from. In doing that they were saying that it is an acceptable way to earn money (as long as you pay them theirs).

I think he was fined once for a couple hundred dollars. That's how serious his crime was.

The DEA is a fucking joke. It makes me sick.

6. I've responded to this in a duplicate post, but I will say this here:

I have waited for nearly a year to come on GC and tell everyone that Marc Emery has been extradited to the US for a life-time jail sentence in a federal prison, without the possibility for parole. I have waited and waited for that day, knowing in my heart that it would happen sooner or later... or so I thought.

This plea agreement was a very judicious act on marks part, as he is saving his friends serious jail time, if any at all. I'm sure, without a doubt, that if it were just him on trial that he would have fought this out to the bitter end, but since the DEA felt obligated to add two very close friends to the roster, he was obligated to spare them his fate. Michelle Rainey, being a legal, Canadian Medical Marijuana patient could have spent her last day (which wouldn't be long after her extradition, believe me) rotting in a US federal penitentiary, being fed weak morphine until her body just gave up.

Marc said this just after the plea agreement was taken:

7. He's being locked up here in the US? I have to pay for that?

8. Fuck the American Government.

9. What a bummer, they can't go after the people who grew the seeds so they throw this guy in jail. How sad, its not setting an example or making anyone else stop distributing seeds if you ask me. What a sad state of confusion over a little green plant :(

10. how could his lawyers not defend this cause is there no more justice in this so called free world people

11. Marc is a political activist, that is why the the US government is sought after him, they just use the DEA and their dirty tricks to nab him. Unfortunately there is no justice in this world, its a big crock of shit if you ask me.

12. That's an understatement. I was really looking forward to meeting Marc at this year's Marijuana March. I remain confident that he will come out with the same voice, maybe stronger. Hopefully the world and Canadian drug policy won't go into the shitter by then. :(

13. Hopefully, he gets out in a few years or less and stays in that fancy Vancouver prison with a golf course on it.

14. the war against marijuana has to stop. When I am 40 (20 now) I doubt the shit thats going wrong with the world will be over and done with. If we even have a world to live in by then