Manual Vs. Automatic

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by DivineFlame, Jun 13, 2011.

1. which do you prefer? Also, Is it tough to drive a manual car toasted? Like with shifting and having to pay attention more and such.

Edit: I was looking to buy a new car, $8000 budget, looking for a coup or a smaller car, maybe a crossover, something with good mileage.

2. Manual by far. The only things I don't like is driving a manual when I am in stop and go rush hour traffic or when I want to eat/drink when I am on a road that requires a lot of shifting. Other than that I find the act of manually shifting enjoyable! :)

As for driving high I don't do it but I am not going to give a soap box speech on doing it either.

3. I thought the same thing about driving high when I bought my M3. I thought I wouldn't be able to properly coordinate while toasted, but the first time I drove a little high and realized i actually do it much better, I stopped worrying so much.

4. Manual for sure! Driving an automatic feels like I'm in a bumper car now.

Driving stick when toasted isn't any harder than driving sober, maybe just a bit if you are learning how in the first place, but after a week of driving everyday I was shifting without thinking.

5. manual for a sportscar but for big cars automatic ;)

6. Driving high sucks ass

7. Manual all the way

Automatic - car controls itself

stick - you control the car

8. yeeerrrp. this.

driving high is incredibly enjoyable.

9. Manual transmissions are also cheaper to fix if they do break.

Even on big vehicles, I still say manual. A big ol' Dodge 2500 with a Cummins and a 5 speed is fun as hell. You can start that bitch in 3rd or 4th.

10. Manual is definitely better just learn it

11. Manual for driving experience. Automatic for A - B transportation needs.

12. This isn't up for debate.

If you buy an automatic and are proud of your life choices i'm also going to assume you parade down the street in your mothers dresses at night.

13. I love my stick shift. It makes no difference to me when i am driving high but i try to avoid it anyway because I got completely terrified and paranoid when i drive high. It also feels like it takes hours to get anywhere.

14. You get used to it. I highly suggest a manual shift vehicle, it can be fun and takes out the monotony of driving. Also I believe it has made me a better driver as I feel I pay attention to my surroundings more than I would with an automatic. Not only that but I feel a greater sense of control over my vehicle in many aspects of driving. If nothing else, it's easier to burn out and drift in.

15. hella

manual is the only way to drive! in no way do you have to worry about paying more immediate attention to driving, and in no way is it distracting or hard. IN ANY WAY :smoke:

once you get it down, you don't need to think about it at all. it becomes 2nd nature.

16. I drive my brothers little civic (standard) baked all the time. It's amazingly amazing. I like standard because of the control, auto's lag when when you hit the pedal to downshift and take off.

17. I drive a manual Jeep Wrangler. It'd probably suck to drive a manual high if you're new to it, but once it's ingrained in your muscle memory it's very enjoyable. I almost feel like I'm a part of the vehicle at times.

18. I drive a manual civic. It's great...just hit 200,000 miles and still running great. I love the control it gives you. I'm high pretty much every time I drive, and its no harder at all. The only time I would rather drive automatic is in stop and start rush hour traffic. Other than that, no comparison.

19. My first car was automatic and then two of my last previous rides were stick as well as my current z4