manual vs. automatic

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by SparkyHempster, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Yeah, because highways are full of corners... I keep things safe when other lives can be affected man.
    I live in England, have you seen the country roads? I don't know how it is in the US, I've only ever seen huge grids, but over here we have some great roads for rallying, which is exactly what I like to do.
    You can't do that efficiently in an automatic.

2. [quote name='"TinTizzy"']I always loved being in neutral and seeing how far I could coast down a huge hill[/quote]

Hahaha same, i love doing this.

3. #23 Shaaaft, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
    You don't even fuckin knoooooooooooooooooooooow. I drive a econobox so I coast everywhere.

OT - Who HATES the little kids who downshift+rev match rolling to a stop sign or something. I laugh every time I hear it because they just don't understand that they aren't saving their breaks by going through 4 gears in 100ft.

Then I have a buddy who complains about gas mileage but the hills I coast 1.5 miles down he leaves in 4th gear to control his speed down the hill... I see his revs at 4k constant and I say, "Well there's your problem boy! I never even hit 4k unless I need to scoot!"

Seriously, you can't respect a manual car until you've driven a truck, turd box and a fast car; Every clutch is different.

Anyone here have experience with unsprung clutches? My civic was unsprung and it was the easiest clutch for me to use when everyone said it was horrible :shrug:

Oh I forgot! I want to tell this to you guys too cause it made me laugh so fuckin hard yesterday.
    My fiancee and I were leaving(backstory, my starter is going bad in my car) and I go to start the car and get nothing! Lights were on but usually I get a horrible clicking noise then it'll fire up. SoS home base, we have no fire! So I'm on the hill LUCKILY! and I say welp, we can still go, she looks at me like DUFAQ!? So I have it in first an I start coasting, pop the clutch and she started freakin out, "How did you do that? Babe you're so cool right now, holy shit." "Will you teach me how to drive this now? That was such a cool trick!"

Now this wasn't her first time doing this but it was the first time of me just doing it when she was with me. Usually I'm pushing the car around a parking lot to catch it haha

The pros of having a manual :)

4. #24 Tamataz, Aug 20, 2012

^ Okay it seems a lot of you guys dont understand that putting the car in neutral and coasting isnt saving you any gas. When you put it in neutral the car is giving gas to keep the engine running at idle. But if you leave the car in gear (the higher the gear the less engine breaking) going down the hill yes the rpms are going to be up, but the car isnt injecting ANY gas into the engine (unless you have your foot on the gas) because its still connected to the drivetrain and is turning the engine by itself.

5. #25 Shaaaft, Aug 20, 2012
    So a tested and proven method of driving is wrong? I didn't increase 5mpgs coasting down hills driving the same exact route for a week?

After reading a few articles I have one thing to say... unzip your pants so I can start suckin that dick because you sir may be right and I might have to start driving differently.

6. [​IMG] Well, assuming your a woman. If not I'll pass. :p & Your welcome.

7. [quote name='"Shaaaft"']

You don't even fuckin knoooooooooooooooooooooow. I drive a econobox so I coast everywhere.

OT - Who HATES the little kids who downshift+rev match rolling to a stop sign or something. I laugh every time I hear it because they just don't understand that they aren't saving their breaks by going through 4 gears in 100ft.

Then I have a buddy who complains about gas mileage but the hills I coast 1.5 miles down he leaves in 4th gear to control his speed down the hill... I see his revs at 4k constant and I say, "Well there's your problem boy! I never even hit 4k unless I need to scoot!"

Seriously, you can't respect a manual car until you've driven a truck, turd box and a fast car; Every clutch is different.

Anyone here have experience with unsprung clutches? My civic was unsprung and it was the easiest clutch for me to use when everyone said it was horrible :shrug:

Oh I forgot! I want to tell this to you guys too cause it made me laugh so fuckin hard yesterday.
    My fiancee and I were leaving(backstory, my starter is going bad in my car) and I go to start the car and get nothing! Lights were on but usually I get a horrible clicking noise then it'll fire up. SoS home base, we have no fire! So I'm on the hill LUCKILY! and I say welp, we can still go, she looks at me like DUFAQ!? So I have it in first an I start coasting, pop the clutch and she started freakin out, "How did you do that? Babe you're so cool right now, holy shit." "Will you teach me how to drive this now? That was such a cool trick!"

Now this wasn't her first time doing this but it was the first time of me just doing it when she was with me. Usually I'm pushing the car around a parking lot to catch it haha

The pros of having a manual :)[/quote]

Cool trick :rolleyes:

I had to do that once and luckily like you was on a down hill but it took me a few times to get it to start like that :(

8. Dropping it into first will ruin your car.

Drop a car that's going above 30mph into first, you'll most likely have to FORCE your gear selector into first, and you WILL have bits of your engine all over the road. Your car isn't designed for that. Most cars won't even allow you to do that for that reason. Above certain speeds the gear should be cut so it won't let you do that.

With that being said, manual all the way. You don't know how to drive a car until you've learned manual. Automatic takes all the skill and fun out of it. I get bored in automatic cars now. And I used to drive automatic exclusively and thought manual was pointless. I was so wrong.

9. Manual all the way...you can't call yourself a petrol head if you don't know how I drive stick

10. Manual all the way. I've driven trucks, econoboxes, sports cars, and motorcycles/4wheelers and I love them all. Currently I drive an auto, but I can deal with it. It's a DD anyways. But all of my next cars will be a manual for sure. I just can't stand the bordem of driving an auto day after day after day. Eventually I'll get tired of my current auto, and swap it out for a manual. I'd rather just swap tranny's than get rid of my well loved car.

11. I drive a manual, love it. The only complaint is I don't have cruise control, and living in Montana 300 miles a day is an average drive so no cruise gets really tiring

12. Yeah but you can get cruise control with manuals, you know? Anyhow. Most of the times I prefer manual, unless it has a lot more than 400 hp than I'd go for a nice auto. Also driving 400miles every day with a manual sucks dick, so auto for that too.

13. I drive automatic, a manual daily driver gets old. If I'm with a girl I can't get any fingerbang action, and traffic is a bitch with all the shifting. I can't eat my breakfast on the road with a manual hardly. My auto launches and shifts faster than any manual with a stall converter and shift kit so manual doesn't have the edge there. Manual would be fun for a sports car that I take out on the weekends but for a daily driver I'd rather have automatic.

14. I've never even driven an automatic before.

15. Auto for daily. Manuals for sports cars

16. I learned to drive on a manual, so driving always meant driving a stick for me. I love it, better performance, better gas mileage. And I just feel like I'm more in control and drive smoother when I'm driving a manual, my mind's actively in driving mode, as opposed to just kicking it in drive and keeping it between the ditches like it's easy to do when driving automatics.

I've owned one automatic, decent car, but I wouldn't buy another. I drive an automatic for work though, so sometimes I get thrown off and start tapping my left foot on the nonexistant clutch :p otherwise, stick shifts only for me.

17. Basically this.

I live on Long Island, having a manual would be a work out just to go 10 miles. So many lights, cars, and people around.

Id love a good manual car, but id need a auto daily driver too....

18. my first two cars were manual.
    my most recent car is an automatic.

i must say driving is super boring with an automatic...

manual all day

19. My car is n auto but there is a 99.99% chance my next car will be a manual. I drive both on daily basis and the manuals are almost always better after figuring out the clutch engagement and throttle response

If you floor your car in 1st gear then you dont have any power. From a stop you can use 1st gear but 2nd gear is for anything above 10mph, even in a car that can hit 50mph in 1st

20. Stick.

I could see a dual-clutch transmission would be nice. I've never driven one.

But these automatic transmissions with 'manual' settings are just as worthless as a true auto.