Manganese def? Potassium def?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by BiggestRat, Jun 6, 2021.

1. 6 sativa plants, two of them are having the rusty problem
    PH around 6.0 to 6.2 all, soil+perlite, third week in flower running, ppms was around 800 to 1200 all 6, flushed to 700 to 1000 all 6. i see some burned tips and turned up leaves, nothing too bad, basically around half of them, but only 2 of them are showing this rust. myself, i think the rust is some def? manganese, potassium maybe. Whatcha think?

Attached Files:

• r4.jpg
      r4.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • r5.jpg
      r5.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • r6.jpg
      r6.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
  2. also some crazy curled around top leafs symptom is occuring

3. #3 GroBuddy, Jun 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    why is ph at 6.0 6,2 in soil its suggested 6.0-7.0 but prime range is 6.3-6.7 i feed and water between 6.5 and 6.7 nutrients in soil are absorb at different ph levels watering and feeding at such a low ph level more coco ph numbers you may just be deficient due to your ph not allowing for proper nutrient uptake over a prolonged amount of time. its pretty fudged bud id flush with 3xs the amount of water you usually use at a ph of 6.7 once you do that fill a gallon of nutrients cal/mag and bloom cal/mag only because youre flushing medium about 1200ppms worth and give it that all blooming nutes if youre using any veg nutes or calmag stop and give only bloom nutrients only or nutrients that can be used through the entire grow like big bloom from here on. get a run off of your ph and ppm that will let you know where you stand may not even need to flush may just can give it more food. with any deficiency all you can do is give it more of the nutrient its lacking. if its in veg i also make a foliar feeding of the lacking nute and rotate sprays and water days if if feed or water i dont foliar feed. usually foliar feed for about a week. it favors magnesium which it uses less of during flower my bad you may want to give it 200 to 300 ppms every watering until that clears up after the flush then stop

if youre using organic soil with nutrients that feed just like when you add nutrients to water the ph level drops same in organic soil ( like fox farms, MG organic ) so feeding and watering at a ph of 6 or 6.2 would be buffered probably mid 5's which is why i would want to get a runoff reading to see whats going on in my soil before making any type of decision on what to do next, granted over time the soils nutrients are depleted and wouldnt buffer as much but id still be curious as to my soils ph youd want it to read 6.5ish 6.3 being lowest. the amount off ppms in the run off would give you an idea of how much theyve been feeding vs what youve been giving them making sure they are actually getting enough food or if its stacking up

my bad you did flush but thats not flushing flushing is removing everything. when you flush i use ro water i with a base of zero ppm ill flush till im around 200ppms or less check out sledgehammer by fox farms for future flushes. ive had a bottle for almost 4 years

4. i flushed my last grow too bad bitches died already so i dont want to make same mistake again. ph is lil low, i think its the soil problem, its more acidic. was thinking about giving them some zinc-manganese and some bloom, maybe cal mag just a tip and giving higher ph water to raise the soil ph slowly. im having lil bit trouble flushing them properly and refeed, takes too much time and effort.

5. Lol yes bud growing does take alot of time and effort which is why there's more buyers than sellers even less growers. Doubt it's the soil it's giving soil highest 6.2ph that's not good soil pH. Once you understand what you're doing you don't have to do anything but watch your plants and adjust as needed. It's easy just takes time to learn as with any new venture.

6. i agree with u growing is a dedicated process, not my first rodeo tho. im just having trouble getting my hands on the good soils. the one i was using they dont sell it around here anymore. been using this one currently, package readings are good. 6.5ph but i guess it drops overtime. had same rusty spots on the bottom leaves last grow but nothing too bad. so i guess your bet on ph could be right, that was my third supection. my grow space real tight so getting these sativas in and out is hell of a trouble and takes half day, was looking how they react after the last little flush, they did great. i overflushed my grow last time and they almost died so gonna be more careful this time. i mixed some zinc-manganese, overdrive, micro and little calmag together, quarter dose all, lets see what happpens to both of the problem plants. still learning here

7. i dont use these i use regular caddies and pot elevators again once you get the hang of it they dont need to be moved flushed or anything just fed and watered trained and defoliated. but if i had to flush this would come in handy

Amazon.com: LUXEHOME Natural Resin Plant Caddy Round Plant Dolly with Universal Wheels and Water Drawer (4#): Garden & Outdoor

or one like it theres several

showing magnesium deficiency do a quarter more calmag if ever theres a deficiency you want to get it what it needs asap itll need what its missing plus some to get it to the next feeding

8. thats good one, ive been thinking about buying pots with turnable pipes for easy drainage. definately will get them for next run

• Like Like x 1
  9. #9 old shol4evr, Jun 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    seems you got it pegged ,good luck

10. theres no root rot, roots nice n clean. i waited about 5 days or so before watering today, soil was nice and dry. i also run fan near buckets to prevent the mold and whatsoever.i dont think they are gonna die in a week or so.. it it goes worse maybe in 2-3 weeks, keep in mind only 2 plants look like this, other 4 are doing ok. they all have curled tops since the end of vege cycle (they grew too tall) i think its something to do with 2 much heat and humidity maybe. maybe not. dont understand why you so mean stan?

11. 5 days ago before small flush, lights off
    e1.jpg

today lights on
    e2.jpg
    they dont look the healthiest but i doubt they gonna die tomorrow, gonna get smaller yield thats for sure but its my own smoke anyways. i was not hoping much from them anyway , cause sativas + hot season + small area.
    its my first sativa run so alot to learn from here. peace

12. Im starting to think my rusting problem which leads to leafs drying up and curling up (like nute burn) is environmental , caused or atleast affected by a lights being too close. Why i think that? I noticed one plant which is topped, one top which one is next to a light is having massive rust and dieing off meanwhile another top facing another side is perfectly fine. This could be a too much light problem, and or caused by a calcium def. Because it starts like calcium defiency, little brown dots which generates to a rust spots between veins

13. Top facing other side, leafs limping but no rusty spots or dead leafs
    t6.jpg

top facing the 400w hps
    t5.jpg
    i mean, they are in the same pot, same soil, topped and half of the plant are having this issue.

and how it starts
    this only appears on the leaves being beamed by the light (photosynthesis)
    conclusion: maybe calcium deficiency appears more on the leaves being under direct ray, as plant leaf uses it more and so it doesnt get enough calcium from the soil?
    t4.jpg

Attached Files:

• t4.jpg
      t4.jpg
      File size:
      2.1 MB
      Views:
  14. #14 GroBuddy, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    You're right the rust spot is calcium deficiency only thing is weed doesn't use alot of calcium during flowering. So If you feed calmag up until the final stretch was over it shouldn't be lacking. Which would lead to a soil issue pH or you've possibly been stacking ppms and you've locked out calcium. Raise the thermometer to your tops very tops and let it read awhile a day or 2 see what the temps like up there they look hot and dry, just ideas tho this one I'd have to of been there from the beginning it's perplexing. theres a few or several issues so to know what's the root cause I'd have to know more in depth detail about this grow.

I'll add in the pic of 5 days ago before flush, I don't see anything indicating you need to flush. Unbalanced pH, nutrient lock, equaling a toxicity and or nutrient lock out are the only reasons to flush. Maybe if you're following the fox farms grow guide but even then you have to be using every product they have when following their grow guide before you would have to flush as recommended.

15. i did just a little flush to bring the ppms down from 1200 to 800. yesterday i gave some plants little touch of epsom salts and calmag, the ones which looked the most damaged. the other ones looking good i just water with clean. they look promising and buds are getting fatter by the day. some brown hairs are slowly coming. start of week 4 today. pretty sure the other 4 out of 6 will make it, i have two plants in the small pots (cant dump them into bigger because of space. I think they are gonna finish early, too much rust and i see some nute burn. gonna try to flush them and give them a chance as one guy who removed his comment told here before. ppms down to early hundreds then back up to 800 to 1000.

16. The point of flushing is to remove everything from your soil. When you flush get as close you zero as possible and start over. Flushing down a few hundred may help but won't or possibly won't alleviate the problem only removing everything and starting over can you know the issue is taken care of.

17. ya man i know what flushing is. i wasnt planning to flush them all fully at week 3, maybe week 7 we can discuss about full flush of them all, when im looking for a clean smoke. right now trying to get by. i saw some brown leaf tips so i decided to cut down ppm a little. thinking fully flushing these 2 sick girls, i did flushed one last time it was showing very strange 300ppm runoff while i was feeding it with 500 and the runoff didnt raised. plant looks sick to me. gonna full flush it this time to see whats the first runoff and where we at. has anything changed from the last time. flush and restart for these two, or atleast for one of them. its not too bad but its getting there with one. she would not make it till the end otherwise for sho. this 6 females that popped out of 10 , i ditched the males week 2nd or 3rd in vege. was not even hoping for 6 so i think i can handle this little drawback :D