Man sentenced to jail for collecting rainwater

Discussion in 'General' started by rain dancer, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Those thirty days in jail will change him. He will come out a changed man. A matter of fact I don't think he will be able to function in the real world. They will probably give him a job in a grocery store where he will be to slow. He will probably hang himself in his halfway house.

2. lolshawshankredemption

3. Stop crying and read it maybe you'll understand

4. Jeez calm down a bit and re-read the article.

5. It ain't the goddamn govt.s job to tell ANYBODY what they can or can't do on THEIR own land! I'll agree that may not be the law, but the govt. is wrong in their efforts. If the land does not belong to the state or federal govt, then how is it their business?

If I want to grow herb on my land, who the fuck are they to say otherwise? If I want to build a house or building, who the fuck are they to say otherwise or charge any fee past the sales tax on building and the property tax on the land? If I want to build a goddamn pond on my land, who the fuck are they to say otherwise or require any kind of permit! It isn't the govt. job to get into my business if I'm not doing any harm to anyone else. Water evaporates and ends up back in the same water cycle whether it be from this dudes pond or from some random motherfuckers piss.

I'm not saying he didn't break the law, but no he did not deserve any form of punishment over collecting water on HIS land, regardless of how much it was. My family owns a shitton of land, and I'd never pay nor ask for a permit to do anything on it for the simple reason that it's our right. Anyone that came around to say otherwise would be greeted looking down the barrel of a shotgun. And my opinion has nothing to do with a hatred of the govt. due to weed as was brought up earlier. I'm somewhat passionate about the issue from a love of the land I've grown up on.

6. It's not that cut and dry though. What if, hypothetically, a guy owns land adjacent to land that you own. A river runs through both your properties, and you both use it for your water needs, but his land is further upstream from yours. One day he decides he's gonna divert the river and create his own little lake, and as a result the river no longer runs through your property and you can't get water from it.

Is he within his rights to do that since it runs through his land too, or would you be pissed that he's fucked you over and reduced the value of your property?

7. Nope fuck regulations and permits, let there be a free for all everywhere. Our actions as land owners doesn't affect anyone but me.

/satire

8. Diverting the river I can understand somewhat. But pulling rainwater and snow melt from the neighboring mountains? That isn't diverting the river. Even if one of the sources is from the melt off it isn't going to be enough to change the course of the river. You make a point though.

9. Yeah, I'm not saying that's exactly what he did, my point is you can't just unilaterally do certain things on your land because it may affect things on a larger scale. I do think we're overregulated as a society, but some regulation is a good thing.

10. does one industrial building really make a big difference on the environment? no, but when you combine all the industries in an area it most certainly does. (i chose industries because not everyone has an industrial building spewing out shit, much like not everyone has the land space to divert water into a reservoir)

the point? well, this one man's diversion of running water doesn't affect the other people. but if they were to allow anyone with the land space to divert where the water naturally flows, it would make a difference.

11. Yet if u pay enough taxes the Gov will let u destroy as much of the environment as u want (look at what bp did to the gulf).

How is that OK with u???

What u have are 2 different kinds of people in this thread.

1. People who think the Gov. should be allowed to control natural resources on private property.

2. People who DONT think the Gov. should be able to control the natural resources on private property.

The majority of people posting in this thread are in the 2nd group. Including myself.

I think its scary that so many Americans (excluding cruizer the aussie) are willing to just let the Gov. control everything. I think its is even scarier that those people believe the Gov. actually knows what the fuck its doing.

To sit here and act like this guy collecting rainwater is effecting other peoples access to water is just dumb. There is MORE rainwater in this area than we know what to do with. Right now we are having major flooding.. lol

In my opinion everyone should be able to collect their own water on their own property if they choose. Why the hell not? Do u think we have a shortage of drinking water? We dont.

12. 13,000,000 gallons, all I habe left to say in response to this. I hope you realize we need regulation in society when it affects other land owners. Their rights matter too you know. Unless you disagree and think that they should be just a free-for-all because land owners deserve to do whatever they want without repercussion.

13. We need SOME regulations. I agree.

Regulating the rain water in the pacific northwest ISNT one of them in my opinion.

If anything we need to regulate our gov. more so stupid laws like this dont get passed.

edit: BTW 13,000,000 gallons aint shit when u look at the bigger picture sheldon.

We are talking about 3 man made ponds.

14. You still contend it's only rainwater, when it wasn't. he was diverting river water and snow from mountains. If he was collecting water into a hole that's different, but he WASN'T.

I know 13 million isn't shit, but multiply that by a couple thousand land owners. THAT is the big picture we are looking to prevent. Which is why regulations are in place.

Some might be ridiculous, some might be unnecessary in preventing major problems, but this guy is far from not doing anything wrong (and I'm not talking legally, i mean wrong as in morally wrong).

15. I contend that its rainwater because thats what it is man. (hence the name of the article)

Snow and rain are the same... snow run off is basically rain running down the mountain.

If that runoff goes through his property then I believe he has a right to do with it what he wants. I dont know how u can say thats morally wrong. He isnt hurting anyone.

Please show where there has been any negative side effect from this mans actions (other than the waste of tax payers money processing him in court/jail).

16. Water is important dude. Cmon. It has to be controlled. His actions affect others who could use/need the water. He wanted it to say FUCK YOU to the government. "Water is for Fires" said signs on his property to cover his ass for the actions he was doing that he knew he didn't have the permits for (not that he didn't think he needed permits, he know he does and he knows the permits were revoked).

Controlling water just to throw a hissy fit is immoral in DSC's books. Not to mention immature.

His mentality is what is dangerous. He might not have done anything, but someone in a different stance could drastically affect one's neighbors, or even the community. If nothing was done with him breaking the law, then future precedents will be different and other people would be able to fight these regulations.

17. So u are assuming this man doesnt use that water for fires?? He does... I assure u. When u have 170+ acres forest fires are a regular thing.

To say he is collecting this water just to say fuck u to the Gov. is just a rude assumption. He was collecting the water before they ever gave a shit.

He has 170 acres... think of how much land that is.

He has 3 man made ponds on 170 acres of land. I dont think thats overkill at all.

U can say that this is gonna cause other people to do the same thing. I think thats just another assumption.

18. We shall agree to disagree on his motives. I suspect they are different though , but both of us could never ever prove that, so it was ridiculous for me to bring up to begin with.

I just disagree with land owners rights to diverting water for personal use. I really got nothing else to discuss on this.

19. Okie dokie..

20. This is bullshit.