Man Sentenced to 6 Months in Jail for YAWNING

Discussion in 'General' started by smokesomebuddha, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Judge sentences man to 6 months in jail for yawning -- chicagotribune.com

Clifton Williams arrived at the Will County Courthouse in Joliet and sat in the fourth-floor courtroom where his cousin was pleading guilty to a felony drug charge.

As Circuit Judge Daniel Rozak handed down the cousin's sentence -- 2 years' probation -- Williams, 33, stretched and let out a very ill-timed yawn.

Williams' sentence? Six months in jail -- the maximum penalty for criminal contempt without a jury trial. The Richton Park man was locked up July 23 and will serve at least 21 days.

"I was flabbergasted because I didn't realize a judge could do that," said Williams' father, Clifton Williams Sr. "It seems to me like a yawn is an involuntary action."

Chuck Pelkie, a spokesman for the state's attorney's office, said the prosecutor in the courtroom that day told him that "it was not a simple yawn -- it was a loud and boisterous attempt to disrupt the proceedings."

Jason Mayfield, the cousin of Williams who was pleading guilty at the time, said it was "not an outrageous yawn."

A Tribune review of a decade's worth of contempt-of-court charges reveals that Rozak jails people -- typically spectators whose cell phones go off or who scream or shout profanity during sentencing -- at a far higher rate than any other judge in the county. There are now 30 judges in the 12th Judicial Circuit, but since 1999, Rozak has brought more than a third of all the contempt charges, records show.

And while it is not uncommon for judges to jail people for ignoring subpoenas or court orders or appearing in court drunk or under the influence of drugs, Rozak's charges tend to involve behavior that would not otherwise be criminal.

Judges have broad discretion under the law, which defines contempt as acts that embarrass, hinder or obstruct the court in its administration of justice or lessen its authority or dignity. As long as the sentence is not longer than 6 months, there is no review of the case -- unless the offender appeals to the judge or a higher court.

GREAT JOB GUYS! TAX MONEY HARD AT WORK!!!:rolleyes:

2. Fuck that judge man thats terrible he needs to get a cap put in his ass

3. I don't understand how he couldn't fight that charge?

4. he might be able to appeal the case, but i doubt it will do any good. this judge is HARSH and Judge > Sleepy Guy

5. WDF!!!!
    that's how fucked up Illinois is.....
    ughhh

OP lets get on stanky budda. North Ave. beach??

6. you have to ability to at least control the volume of the yawn even tho its not always possible to not yawn. even tho i have had the feeling to yawn every time i see the word i stop myself. but sometimes you just have to. but you can at least be discrete about it and not make a scene.

so he deserved it. 6 months is pretty excessive. i mean people get put in jail for less time for a DUI than this guy. even 21 days minimum is still more than a DUI in some cases. even if courts are biased and shitty and they will use all the power necessary to put you away, they are still there to protect us from the real criminals so they deserve more respect.

its the cops that dont deserve it.

7. Wow thats ridiculous. I could understand getting kicked out of the court room or maybe paying a small fine but jail time??

8. Must of had some funky breath.

9. and 6 months too :eek:

im sure hell get out way early tho

10. How can you be put in jail for performing a natural bodily function :confused:

Thats like puting me in jail cause I just took a shit...

11. because people are ass holes

12. Lol I wouldn't try pulling that stunt in Judge Rozak's court.

13. here you go!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qCWCiu8230]YouTube - Boondocks Peeing Statement[/ame]

14. Getting a cock in your mouth for yawning is worse.

I haven't slept since.

15. Welcome to fascist. :wave:

16. i remember in highschool i had a teacher that got in trouble for giving detentions to students that were yawning in her class.. i thought that was messed up..

but this takes the cake..

17. Yeah I think he got what he deserved. I know I can yawn quietly. This guy was probably makin all types of noises and shit.

18. it would be funnier if he let out a monster fart sitting on those wooden benches

19. He wouldn't have been sentenced for farting. People laugh at farts. :D

20. I had the same thought