Male to F Ratio

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by sandman1959, Mar 31, 2008.

1. What is the biggest contributor to a plant turning male??? I have a terrible ratio of m to f, and having to destroy 3/4ths of a beautiful little garden.?????

2. what are the conditions your growing in, what exactly is your setup?

some say sex is pre determined, and some say it's stress that turns them male most of the time. but when i used to use seeds, i had some in some shi**y a** conditions that were stressful to the max, and they still turned out female.

3. closet, container, shop light w/son agra bulbs , 2 reg flours, 1 incad 150w son agra..,, very healthy, but just at sex time, many more males to females..,, no stress, etc....?

4. if your saying your plants aren't stressed i donno what to tell you..
    maybe just bad luck man. but i dont think that incad 150w is doing anything besides waisting power... if you need something for heat theres a lot of better choices...

5. Sex is definatly predetermined, its usualy a 50/50 shot, depending on the strain, sometimes its 80/30, like with my Big Bud grow currently, i only got 2 males out of 10 seeds, the strain is notorious for haveing one of those increased female to male ratios.
    Other then it being already determined, stress is the biggest factor in turning a male after it was going to be a female. Some strains are different, some require very little stress to cause this to happen, some require 1 over ferting and it comes out hermi or male. Usualy when its stress involved its a hermi, if you arnt overwatering it constantly, screwing with the light schuduals every other day, replanting it every day, or overnuteing it to the point there arnt any more leaves on it, then itd say you are just getting shitty luck with the pick of the litter. This is why most people starting twice, or sometimes even 3 times as many seeds that then depend on keeping when its all said and done with the male / female thing.

6. * a higher nitrogen concentration will give more females.
    * a higher potassium concentration will give more males.
    * a higher humidity will give more females.
    * a lower temperature will give more females.
    * more blue light will give more females.
    * Fewer hours of light will give more females.

Source: http://www.dutch-passion.nl/home.php?p=feminized&l=en

This should raise your % of getting a female.​

7. Thanks for the info everyone; had a idea on some of the advice, but was great to get some reinforcements on my thoughts, and new ideas too.:hello:

8. i'm no grower but from what i've learned in biology classes these changes will only effect hermaphrodite plants. if the plant only has female DNA there is no way it will ever be a male and visa versa. but cannabis has multiple sex linked chromosomes unlike people, so they can have a complete set for both male and female. in this case environmental factors will be key in which traits become pronounced phenotypes and which remain genotypes.

9. Exactly my thoughts... its already predeterminted, no matter what you tell me.
    Granted dutch passion is a great seed company, i think they might be stepping out of their box on these suggestions though with trying to get more females, im still convinced after countless grows from seed that male / female ratio is already predetermined.

10. same here.

11. Yes... great to find a forum that isn't hung up on the 24/0 thing sex reversing plants. I have had many arguments on this score. However it is an argument that cannot be lost, common sense dictates that seeds are predisposed to be one sex or the other.

Anyone remember where all that shit got started? It was from a misinterpreted dutch passion article on feminised seed. As stated the article was misinterpreted and spread all over the web. I read the article and saw where the misinterpretation came in. I have been a strong opposer of the false information ever since.

Glad to find a forum that feels the same.

peace n pot, my friends.

12. i had a feeling that all this "information" about what you can do to increase female ratios was something that had to do with feminised seeds, not normal seeds.

13. Not true. Femenized seeds have the ability to be males also. So, it's not predetermined.

14. if femenised seeds were guaranteed to be females, and some turned male that would make sense. but they are not guaranteed to be female. they just have a very high chance of being a female seed, because of the way they are grown/pollinated.

15. Feminised seeds are not natural seeds... they are feminised. This conversation is about normal seed not about feminised seed as I pointed out in my last post, where I mentioned the DP article.

Seeds are predisposed to be one sex or the other. Pre-disposed is not as heavy a word as predetermined. I prefer the word pre-disposed because of the female plant's tendency to herm'. All female cannabis plants are hermaphrodites.

In fact all flowering female dioecious plants are hermaphrodites, some just have more tendency than others.