Male or Female donor best?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by ccaissie, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Hi:

General questions. If I have 2 stable strains from purchased seed, such as Northern Lights #5 and White Widow (I think it's stable...), and want to create a hybrid, is it better to cross the male NL5 with a female WW, or the reverse?

Assuming that at this early sexing stage, I am selecting for vigor and early flowering.

Also, how long will pollen keep? Last year I had collected male flowers from NL5, but they did not really show much pollen, and perhaps it was too early in collecting, or it lost its viability. I grew, sexed, vegged and then cloned the females, so the pollen was months old before I pollinated. In any case, I got no seed.

I waited longer this year, and have some obvious pollen collected from the WW, and am waiting for the NL5.

Whaddya think?
    Is this already a known cross?

CSC

2. The selection of which is the male parent and which is the female is not near as important as the selection of the parents. What I'm trying to say is:

It does not matter which strain is the male donor and which is the female donor as long as you selected the traits to be consistent with what you want from each parent.

3. Yep! Good answer.

4. Thanks for the answers. The discussion is furthered in the JD article, and he says it does make a difference but in some subtle qualities. I'm not that subtle, yet.

Also, there's good details on keeping pollen, and a discussion on growing males, cloning and keeping a good one around just like keeping a prize female. Makes sense and worth it to breed with.

Also, I did find a name for the White Widow Northern lights cross...Crystal.2002 winner. Marijuanaseeds.nl

Thanks, all

CSC

5. hah, very good question thought. I was wondering the same about what's it matter when who's the male and who's the female?

props to lessismore